Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have a Renault Clio MK2 from 2002, where I have changed the battery recently in the end of November for a new one, and in last 2 weeks, I notice a strange behaviour with the dashboard clock and the radio.

It have started with the dashboard clock, where in the morning when pulled the key in ignition to turn the electronic part of the car on first, I notice that there was a reset in the clock, like if the battery had been changed or there was to low voltage in the car, but after some days the problem started to happend every morning, till the day that I have found the radio openned (I have a pionner radio where the front opens to add cds) who is a thing that happens usually when the battery doesnt have enough voltage.

So I decided to clean battery terminals when I arrived from work, and with a dielectric spray and a toothbrush, I have scratched the surfice of both battery terminals and female power contacts from the car, then I measer the voltage between both terminals and notice that it was at 12,5 V, who I thing that its the expected value for new batteries.

I think that this is happening during night(not in the end of the day when I park the car or even in morning when I turn it on), but I have not yet measer both battery terminals in the morning to see if there is a battery drop. There was no electrical issues or changes in this car.

There is no issues with lights or door lockers, all of that seems to be working fine.

Anyone here knows what can be happening? I think that its a battery issue but cannot find any motive for this to happen.

If you need I can add information of the battery or other that you may find important.

P.S. sorry for my english but its not my native language.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,666 Posts
First thing you need to ask Yourself, why did I need to change my battery!
As in what fault did you have.
Did this all start happening when you put another radio in?

When you replaced the battery , did you knock anything ( Loads of relays/fuses just at the back of the battery )

Check you have not knocked any of these..

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
Hi ApolloPT and Welcome :)
Another thing to check on cars of that age is the condition of the earth or ground cables from the battery negative to the body or shell of the car and to the gearbox/engine block.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First thing you need to ask Yourself, why did I need to change my battery!
The old one stop recharging properly, I had to give an extra kick in my Renault with another car 2 times, where in both situations the car was only stoped for a few days(~2) and it was below 12v, like ~11,5v.

As in what fault did you have.
There isnt a "fault" only this strange behaviour with clock and radio.

Did this all start happening when you put another radio in?
Nop, the radio was installed ~15 years ago and I never had such problem, only when batteries stop recharging properly.

When you replaced the battery , did you knock anything ( Loads of relays/fuses just at the back of the battery )
Nop, I am very carefull doing that, and its not my first time changing a battery, in this car and others.

Hi ApolloPT and Welcome
Thanks Brendan W =]

Another thing to check on cars of that age is the condition of the earth or ground cables from the battery negative to the body or shell of the car and to the gearbox/engine block.
I totally forgot to check ground cables! I will double check those!! Thanks a lot for the tip Brendan!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts