Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Earlier this evening I had a strange occurrence when driving my Clio DCi 100. All of a sudden, the gear lever, when pulling back for second, fourth or reverse would pull back too far (nearly reaching the hand brake lever) and there would be no gear present. First, third and fifth seem to be unaffected. I can get second, fourth and reverse, but only if I pull the gear lever part way (to roughly where it used to pull to), then they engage ok. If I pull the lever too far I lose the gear. It's as though there should be something to prevent the lever pulling back further, like some kind of stop, but it's vanished.
Does this sound familiar to anyone, or does anyone know what may have broken/slipped?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.. Loaf. :smile2:

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
Hi if you look where the gear levers are above the bell housing, just to the rear of the bell housing there should be a bracket that the levers fasten/clip to check to see if they have come free, the bracket bolts to the engine check this too, if the bracket is loose then you will have the problems you describe. Hope this helps

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi if you look where the gear levers are above the bell housing, just to the rear of the bell housing there should be a bracket that the levers fasten/clip to check to see if they have come free, the bracket bolts to the engine check this too, if the bracket is loose then you will have the problems you describe. Hope this helps
Thank you for this suggestion, I will have a look at this and report back. Cheers!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I have a diagnosis. I went to see a friend who is a mechanic because I wasn't too sure what I was looking for. He had a look and we quickly figured the gearbox itself is ok (thankfully!) as he could select all gears by hand.

The problem seems to be one of the cables controlling the gearbox. One of the cables is acting like a rod to push it into reverse gear, but the cable appears to have fatigued/kinked and is bending when it is pushed upon. So now I need to know if this cable is the same for other Clio's of the era, or different (I know the gearbox is different to other Clio's with it being the dci 100).

There are 2 cables, one with a red clip and blue sleeve (might be the other way round?) which is the working one and one with a blue clip and white sleeve? that needs changing.

Would anyone have a fiche or an idea what the part numbers might be? Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're probably best changing both buddy, if one is knackered the other could well be close too.
You'll probably find they're available as a pair anyway.
This is true, although I need to know what to get first, lol! I need a microfiche or part numbers so I can see if they are the standard fitting on other models or bespoke to the dci 100.. :wink2:

Got my MOT on Monday morning! :surprise:

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
2,805 Posts
This is true, although I need to know what to get first, lol! I need a microfiche or part numbers so I can see if they are the standard fitting on other models or bespoke to the dci 100.. :wink2:

Got my MOT on Monday morning! :surprise:

Have you tried euro car parts? EBay is awash with cables including the gearstick assembly for about £30 from online salvage firms.
A local car parts factor might just be able to help too.
Good luck buddy

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you tried euro car parts? EBay is awash with cables including the gearstick assembly for about £30 from online salvage firms.
A local car parts factor might just be able to help too.
Good luck buddy
I appreciate what you are saying, but I would like to find a part number that is definitely for the vehicle I have so that I don't spend the next three weeks waiting for and returning wrong parts. Unfortunately my experiences with this car so far have been frustrating to say the least, with receiving wrong parts that were supposed to fit but don't. Even down to brake discs that supposedly matched my registration..but still didn't fit.. :wink2:

Ebay has nothing for a 2005 dCi 100 unfortunately, and I've only ever had headaches from trying to match parts for this car via ebay so far.

Please don't think I'm being ungrateful but I would really like to know if anyone has access to a fiche so I can get a definite part number.. if not then fair enough, I will have to work something else out. But thanks for the advice.

EDIT: I have used ECP before, the part needed returning and they couldn't help any further unfortunately.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,727 Posts
Short term solution I have used on bendy cables with some success.... no guarantees but may get you to the MOT (and home again)

Where the bend is, reinforce it.
Straighten as much as you can and use thin plate, alum cut from a coke can, 2 or 3 sheets and secure with cable ties. Same idea as splinting a broken bone.

Whether it works or not depends on internal damage but worth a punt to get you out of bovver.

One place on Ebay that I'll almost guarantee getting the right parts is these guys
Renault Scenic 5 Seater Genuine Electronic Handbrake Cables (X2) Repair Kit | eBay
They are actually the parts department of Renault Wolverhampton and are really helpful.
Cheaper then my local Renault dealers as well and deliver to the door, in my case on a parts van as I live "local"
Again, nowt to lose

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Short term solution I have used on bendy cables with some success.... no guarantees but may get you to the MOT (and home again)

Where the bend is, reinforce it.
Straighten as much as you can and use thin plate, alum cut from a coke can, 2 or 3 sheets and secure with cable ties. Same idea as splinting a broken bone.

Whether it works or not depends on internal damage but worth a punt to get you out of bovver.

One place on Ebay that I'll almost guarantee getting the right parts is these guys
Renault Scenic 5 Seater Genuine Electronic Handbrake Cables (X2) Repair Kit | eBay
They are actually the parts department of Renault Wolverhampton and are really helpful.
Cheaper then my local Renault dealers as well and deliver to the door, in my case on a parts van as I live "local"
Again, nowt to lose
Been away for a day or so and just got back and saw this post. Sounds worth a try in the meantime, might just work until I can get the right part.. :wink2:

I'll give them a shout and see what they suggest.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi guys, well I finally got this repaired. I had to buy second hand a gear lever and cable set. I got one from ebay in the end, but had to wait a while for the right one to appear (there were loads of mk 3 ones, but none for mk 2 dCi's. I'm not sure which dCi model it came off either, I just grabbed one when it became available out of desperation.. luckily it fitted!
The only issue is that it has a scabby knob! :grin2: So I'm going to change it for the old one, which was in good condition. I can't seem to figure out how to swap them over, it doesn't seem to unscrew and doesn't seem to be held in place with a grub screw or anything similar. Any ideas?

Thanks for all the help so far guys! :smile2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts