·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
please bear with me
i have a 04 scenic 1.4

when the engine is just turning over (when im stationary) it is fairly quiet
if i rev my engine slightly and take foot off accelorator it makes a kind of duh duh duh duh(not an accurate description but close)noise its not a grindy noise or clunky noise.hard to explain.
it can be heard when i slow down also when driving.
sounds like the noise is in addition to the normal revving noise/engine noise
apart from that the car seems to be running ok and the engine itself seem quiet.
but its got me concerned

had my local garage look at it when it was in for its mot and they could hear the noise but couldnt identify it (without striping everything down and through trial and error) not a course of action i want to go down.
tbh i have no idea what it could be.timing belt,waterpump ,alternator ect ect

anyone experiance anything like this?

thanks

G

·
True, not much to be done without hearing it.
I was thinking it could be a burble from the exhaust, as it happens on throttling off. Slight misfire or something.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi

sorry for taking so olng to reply to this.

just had the car in to my Renault dealer and they have replaced the Timing belt ect (kit) to the cost of £300

unfortunately this did not resolve the problem as i was about to drive out the garage i could hear the noise as before and they now tell me its the water pump.

im sure i heard the mechanic say to the service desk that he identified the problem as the pump as he fitted the new belt kit. but cant prove it.

they now have the car to fix it.and im currently awaiting their phone call.

so the drama continues :(

G

·
just had the car in to my Renault dealer and they have replaced the Timing belt ect (kit) to the cost of £300

unfortunately this did not resolve the problem as i was about to drive out the garage i could hear the noise as before and they now tell me its the water pump.

im sure i heard the mechanic say to the service desk that he identified the problem as the pump as he fitted the new belt kit. but cant prove it.

they now have the car to fix it.and im currently awaiting their phone call.

so the drama continues :(
Checking and replacing the pump when doing the timing belt is standard practice for ANY garage, let alone a main dealer.
If they are doing the job FOC, fair enough, but if they are charging- NO WAY.:eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
20.55 and they did not phone.

will now have to pay £15 to get taxi to work tommorow.

pretty annoyed as reason i put it into a main dealer was that feeling of "reassurance" that a main dealer would give me with something as important as the timing belt.

before i left the dealer we breifly disscussed what was to happen and they said they would replace the pump if required with no labout cost but were very vague if i was expected to pay for the pump. approx £60

im not normally one to haggle/argue the point to much.
any advice is appreciated

thanks

G

·
If they did the job properly in the first place you wouldn't be there again.

The fact they have not been honest with you, have not kept you informed and are now probably looking at charging your £100s more to do the job again. You are out of pocket regarding taxis, time off work.....

I would demand that they deal with this as a priority and I would contact Renault Customer Services on 0800 072 33 72.

I would not expect to be charged for any remedial work if I was you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Very difficult without being able to hear the sound at all! Could it be an engine mount perhaps....long shot but worth a look!
try the bottom engine mount looks like a dog bone... just replaced mine due to simular noise and i wouldnt hear it anymore if the garage that supplied and fitted both top and bottom mounts tightened the bolts up correctly

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well
where to begin..

ended up the water pump is now replaced.
at a cost of an extra £60. dicounted down from £170 they wanted to charge.

i tried to argue my case but felt i was wasting my breath . so ended up paying so i could get the car home.

but saga doesnt end there.

was cleaning out the car ect today for my holiday drive on monday 300 miles.when i was checking my oil ect ect.
when lo and behold the radiator water is barely at minimum.
now i know for a fact it was at max lvl before i put it in there as a check it weekly.
so either they did dot fill it properly after fitting new pump OR its leaking ( i pray its not the latter)

but i know no way of checking except looking for leaks that to watch if the lvl goes down fast as i drive?
cant check ground under car as its been raining here for 2 days

oh and just for a laugh they even sent me a customer survey via email. oh the fun il have with that. theres a link to their care department that a big email will be on its way to soon.

G

·
Barely at minimum on the reservoir tank is not really that bad, but if they have just done the pump and the water level is low, it can only be because they didn't refill it properly.

Your car would have to have a bad leak to lose that amount of water in that short a time if it was refilled correctly.

Did they even put a coolant mix in there?

Load of cowboys I'd say.

Tell Renault Customer Services.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.