Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard a sound like sugar spilling onto metal whenever the 2912 megane gets wet in the rain or after been taken through a car wash? Very unusual water spilling sound from under the bonnet or behind the dash?
Help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After driving in heavy rainfall or after the Megane has been put through the car wash, I get a strange 'swishing' sound which seems to be coming from behind the dashboard or under the bonnet. Sounds like a large volume of sugar being dropped from height onto a metal surface?
Only happens after rain or when driving away from the car wash.
Very disconcerting has any Megane expert heard of this sound with any other car, and how can I fix the problem?
Bought the car used from a franchised Citroen / Mitsubishi Dealer with 12 months warranty given.
Help!
Geoff

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
5,294 Posts
Quite possible you have blocked scuttle drains under the wipers. If left it will over flow into electrical bits and cause havoc.
General procedure is to get the wipers off and the plasticy bits underneath, find the two drains in the corners and clear out the crap. In extreme cases run a wire down the drain tubes to clear them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quite possible you have blocked scuttle drains under the wipers. If left it will over flow into electrical bits and cause havoc.
General procedure is to get the wipers off and the plasticy bits underneath, find the two drains in the corners and clear out the crap. In extreme cases run a wire down the drain tubes to clear them.
Thank you for this as I've only had the car 3 months do you think the garage where I purchased the car with a 12 month warranty would agree to clean out the scuttle drains, as a gesture of goodwill. Swishing sound comes every time rain or water gets onto the car and then eventually clears until next time.

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
5,294 Posts
That would be an Ecumenical matter.
Depends on the garage.

·
Premium Member
7,424 Posts
Hi,
personally I'd do it my self, that way I'd know it had been done properly. It only takes about 1/2 hour per side .

Lots of videos on YouTube showing how its done, very common issue on lots of vehicles not just Renault.

Al

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for this as I've only had the car 3 months do you think the garage where I purchased the car with a 12 month warranty would agree to clean out the scuttle drains, as a gesture of goodwill. Swishing sound comes every time rain or water gets onto the car and then eventually clears until next time.
Hi,
personally I'd do it my self, that way I'd know it had been done properly. It only takes about 1/2 hour per side .

Lots of videos on YouTube showing how its done, very common issue on lots of vehicles not just Renault.

Al
Thanks Al,
I’ve watched those utube videos now, and as you suggest, was thinking I should just have a go at removing wipers, panel etc and cleaning out the scuttle drains myself
Great minds....
Cheers,
Geoff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts