Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've never had a problem with the starter motor on our 2000 1.9 dci Scenic but after a turbo failure it only clicks like the battery is low or the starter is jammed.the battery is new and after removing the starter I found it free but turning the key still ,only results in a clicking noise!:confused:
I only want to spin the engine over to hear if there is any strange noises coming from the engine.Renault wanted to put a new turbo on (€2500) just so they could listen to the engine.I told the garage that if I had 2500 to spend on the off chance that the engine was OK I would'nt be driving an 11 year old Scenic.
Thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
have you checked the engine still turns as these are the same symptoms you would get if starter tries to turn a seized/jamed engine

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys,the starter is not right out of the car but clear of the engine it does not seem to be jammed but it clicks just the same.
Before we took it out we were able to push the car in gear to make sure it was not seized.
Just as you think things cant get much worse they do I got bitten by a dog today and needed 4 stitches in my finger so things on the car will have to wait until the bandage comes off :crazy:
Can I try bypassing the solenoid to check if its the motor?

·
La sola lupo
2,521 Posts
Bridge the big terminals on the soleniod to see if the motor runs, remember if you have the motor loose from the engine you will have to earth it in order to test.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the tips I found the problem with the starter,some of you clever b*****s will say I should have checked this first but I personally have not come across this before and dont know whether it has to be replaced or can be repaired.
On the positive battery terminal most of the power goes down one cable but the main supply to the starter and possibly the alternator are protected by what looks like a fuse type piece of metal built into the terminal.The engine over revved when the turbo went so maybe its a overcharge protection:confused:. Can I solder it or is there an easier way?

Thanks in advance

Barry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts