Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a 96 Megane 1.6 RT Auto & when I put the air vents on the smell is horrible....it's like a strong solvent smell and it's driving me nuts because I can't find out where it's coming from.

The smell is always there regardless of my speed or whether the vents are blowing hot or cold. Any ideas?? I don't have AC so no pollen filter to change so any ideas will be greatfully received :)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Lillimiss - what makes you think your car doesn't have a pollen filter(many cars without air-con do have a pollen filter) - it could also be the smell of leaking coolant from the heater matrix:)

P.S Check your coolant level immediately

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Have you filled up your window washer bottle up and added screen wash have you,when using this it could give you a smell of solvent,alcohol smell???

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi All,

Oops...didn't know I could have a pollen filter...but have just had a look in my owners manual & had a quick look where the pollen filter should be & there definately isn't one.

I haven't topped up the screen wash, it's not a melting plastic smell or a petrol smell & my coolant level is fine. I have no tell tale signs of a leak on the driveway anywhere, but there does seem to be some engine oil above the gearbox area to the right hand side of the engine (standing in front of the car). I can't see any visible leak from the engine whilst the car is running, but I have just noticed the smell is constantly there faintly, but only really strong when the vents are on.

Probably nothing to do with it but sometimes when I start her up the automatic choke seems to stick on & she revs like a looney until & turn her off & re-start her.

All your help is much appreciated :d

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Donald,

That could be a reason.

I'm tempted to go & get the engine steam cleaned to give me a better idea of where it's coming from, but 2 people now have told me horror stories about having it done so I might go out tomorrow & see what I can clean off by hand.

Someone has also mentioned 'breather pipes', could they have anything to do with it?

Thanks so much for your help :d

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi i steam clean mine but you do have to stay clear of some parts and even cover others,i leave the engine running as well but if your not sure and are in doubt DO NOT DO IT as it could leave you will a nightmare,i used to do this for a living at one point so i know what iam doing all the best Donald

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
DOn't steam-clean, get a paint-on or spray-on water soluble engine cleaner. Apply, leave a while and rinse off (careful with the water). Less likely to ruin something this way

·
Registered
1 Posts
have you had any joy? i have 02 scenic and also get a kind of solvent smell in the car. it is worse when the fan is on and gives me sore head after a while.

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi lilmiss ... get your alternator checked, if its overcharging your battery you can get this type of smell ..... not doing you any good, the battery and may be dangerous.

Worth checking.

Hope it helps :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts