Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Utterly pointless question I have about refuelling your motor, but I need my curiosity satisfied...

I put on average around £50 when I go to fill up (unleaded petrol), and was wondering if this is better fuel consumption and general wear-and-tear for the car?

I don't usually scrat around putting in fivers and tenners in here and there but wanted to know the pros & cons for both.

I heard recently that the belief that leaving your fuel low sucks up 'crap' from the bottom of the tank is actually a myth for modern motors, but to counter that, my Dad (who I believe is having a mid-life crisis as he's just bought a silver Tigra Coupe!) says that you waste fuel if you fill up to the brim as it drinks extra petrol pulling the extra weight of the fully-laden tank... yet a few of my work colleagues hate the idea of having less than a half-tank of fuel.

Obviously, the whole inconvenience of putting a few quid in every other day far outweighs any argument on the subject, but it's a question I've been asking myself for years, and have now found the perfect platform ask it out loud.

I don't think I'll ever change my filling-up habits, but was thinking aloud what yours are and which option is better and why?:d

·
Administrator
21,725 Posts
Im in the same boat as you, I always fill my tank to the brim every week and replace what I've used the next week etc.

It's probaby not great for the mpg of the car due to the extra weight. But I've always done it, so its a habit that I'll never get out of.

My missus used to let her cars get low, and when she got a Xsara Picasso (electronic fuel gauge) she let it get low. The car said she two bars of fuel left, but when she next went to start it up the car said low fuel and wouldnt start due to not enough petrol in it ! :rofl: Guess who has to go and rescue her with a jerry can of fuel ! :( She's learnt her lesson now ! :d

I'd rather know I've got plenty of fuel in that risk running out of fuel due to a dodgy fuel gauge.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
TBH the extra cost of carrying a full tank of fuel is sadly outweighed by the increased cost of topping up the next day (due to the price hikes).

I prefer to fill my van (£105.40 last time), then not have to go through the pain for (hopefully) a while...

Paul

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, great point VelSatisified... currently going up about a penny per week round by me :(

My ex was a good 'un for running out of fuel regularly... didn't bother me though.
I felt dead 'manly' going to her rescue with a jerry can with a few knowing nods from passing drivers :d

* I'm sure the lovely ladies of this forum never run out of fuel though :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts