Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all of a sudden my mpg reading has gone from around the 50's to 40.12 mpg, any ideas why. Its a 2006 Scenic 1.5dci due for service next week.

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bumpity bump

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Good question im in the same boat/car i have a 1.9dci and used to get around 45 MPG around town now its 42 and im driving with a feather on the throttle. Motorway driving is down from 58 to 47 again only at 65-70 in 6th gear only around 2000 RPM.

Mine is due a service anytime as the service spanner has come on.

Hopefully someone will help us out.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I think the pair of you may be in the same boat - i.e. cars due a service. If nothing else is being picked up (such as low tyre pressures, anything vehicle related, or an external factor such as roadworks), then it may simply be due to the fact that the oil isn't as free-flowing (viscous) as it was when new. Turbos are particularly punishing on the oil. The fuel filter also may be needing replaced at this time. The air filter almost certainly will.

I'm sure it'll all improve once the service has been carried out.

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Vel (for short) at least this gives us a clue as to what is happening

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Hi thanks from me too!! :)

I am hoping this is the situation too, as its doing my head in getting 10 MPG less on motorways and a few less round town!

It adds up over a few tanks!

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine is booked in for service on tuesday, I will ask the question at the dealers and report back. :steam: :steam:

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
My dealer told me that the temperature and weather play quite a big role in how your car runs. Specially in the time it takes to warm up. I do they same journey 9.5 miles each way i tend to baby the engine when its first started and to be honest i dont tend to drive it over 2500 revs as traffic dont always allow. When we had the cold spell a few months ago my engine temp guage still had another bar to add and that was after nearly 20 mins but only 30-40 MPH driving it was -3C though.

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dave, that could be true. When driving in the South of France and Spain last summer I was getting brilliant miles per gallon, and the low mpg has only been very recent. Will see what happens after service, although i believe it is only the oil and oil filter which is changed on the first service. Have only done 7500 miles in this first year, most of that in Europe.

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update on low mpg.

I had the car serviced and the air and pollen filters changed. I have not done much driving since but have noticed the mpg has gone up from 40mpg to 45mpg+.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Hi, just an update on mine aswell, i have put new rear discs and pads on the car as they needed changing, when they took wheels off they told me drivers rear was sticking and could only just be turned by hand. Got new ones fitted and already its better.

Had it serviced today at a local garage 54K miles and they told me that they didnt reckon air filter had ever been changed as there was a tree of dead leaves inside and also the oil filter was really gunked up (his words not mine).

I can tell instantly it feels and drives so much nicer, it used to hesitate just a little, just as though id jumped of clutch to early and it bogged down, now its as good as new! Going to get a tuning box fitted next.

My car passed MOT which was done at sametime as service but the advised new front discs and pads too, I have got 30% discount at Renault for OEM parts so are around £120 for both parts, will get fitted elsewhere for £35! So thats new discs and pads all round for £299, were as Renault wanted £300 just to fit thats without the parts!!!

Thanks again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts