Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadly, VERY sadly, I think it's time to say goodbye to the old girl. I'm now having to pay out £300 for rear shocks and a couple of other bits. This, just after paying £170 for a caliper, £110 for the bushes, and rear coil spring which was about the same price. It's not been the best of years! I've just about replaced everything at the rear suspension, which suggests the Lag II isn't the most ideal car for my van.

I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on what would be a good car to replace it with? I'm thinking along the lines of a Passat, but have no idea if that's any better/worse.

Love my car to bits, but I just can't afford the continual repair bills, and don't really think it's practical any longer! :(

G

·
Subaru Forester :d

Reliable and will gladly tow two caravans :devil:
Great in any bad weather or across a muddy campsite

A little thirsty tho

·
Premium Member
Scenic mk1ph2, RX4, ID35s11
2,945 Posts
didnt you upgrade the rear springs to MAD or similar heavy duty towing springs, it makes all the difference.
not sure about upgrading the rear bushes, i could certainly do with a heavy duty set on mine, i just got through a set in the last 3 months.

failing that get a range rover or mitsubushi suv :d

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL Thanks for the 'Sensible' replies guys!! :d Sadly I'm on a tight budget, and doubtful I could afford anything like those!

Sadly, no I didn't upgrade the springs. Didn't really know you could to be honest! :eek:

Would LOVE a Subaru though!! :eek:

·
Administrator
10,627 Posts
Octavia diesel.

·
Premium Member
23,003 Posts
I don't see any need to change,if you have spent that amount already then why sell it and give the benefit of the new parts to someone else.If you are on a tight budget then what ever you replace it with could come with a whole host of new faults which will cost the same amount of money that you have spent on your Lag.If you love the car as much as you say you do,then have the rear shocks changed (I can't see they should be anywhere near £300 to replace though) and keep the car for another year.I'm guessing that the rest of it is in good shape,and I also guess that you won't be towing your caravan around much until next year any way.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't see any need to change,if you have spent that amount already then why sell it and give the benefit of the new parts to someone else.If you are on a tight budget then what ever you replace it with could come with a whole host of new faults which will cost the same amount of money that you have spent on your Lag.If you love the car as much as you say you do,then have the rear shocks changed (I can't see they should be anywhere near £300 to replace though) and keep the car for another year.I'm guessing that the rest of it is in good shape,and I also guess that you won't be towing your caravan around much until next year any way.
I hear what you're saying, as I've had the same debate myself. I know pretty much that the engine will be fine for a few years yet....it's just the other parts that can't seemingly keep up! Do I go ahead and do the repairs, in the hope that nothing else goes wrong in the meantime? The latest repairs would only be roughly 3 months repayments on a loan!

However, in this year alone, I've done 2 callipers, bushes, rear spring and something else that I can't quite remember just now. I must have spent a good £500 - £600 on it in the last few months.There's also the new repairs needing done. I'm also sure that the CV boot will need done soon, there's a creaking/groaning noise from the front too, which I'm thinking must be related to the suspension. I'll also need new pads & discs in the not too distant future. The car is 10 years old now and has done close to 100k. (I know in newer cars that isn't really high).

Do I do all that on a 10 year old car when I know that in another year I may have to do it all again?? I do love the car....it's by far the most comfortable and nippy car I've ever owned. I'm just thinking this is maybe time to draw a line in the sand.

I really don't know what's best. Get a £5k loan and see what I can find for that money, or do I keep spending money on repairing a 10 year old car???

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Believe it or not Skoda diesels get a good reputation for towing.

See the links below - it also includes a link to the caravan club - hopefully you may find some suggestions. It also helps if you can match your van to a particular car.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/grouptests/257869/britains_best_towcars.html

http://www.whattowcar.com/
i've read some good reports on the towing capabilities of the skoda superb and octavia models, but even better i know four fellow 'vanners that swear by their skodas as tow cars ( one is my brother-in-law ), so much so that at some point next year, i will be looking to swop my motor and on the face of it ,will be saying good bye to renault and hello to skoda, probably the 1.9 tdi , would like the vrs model but don't think the other half will let me :d

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I hear what you're saying, as I've had the same debate myself. I know pretty much that the engine will be fine for a few years yet....it's just the other parts that can't seemingly keep up! Do I go ahead and do the repairs, in the hope that nothing else goes wrong in the meantime? The latest repairs would only be roughly 3 months repayments on a loan!

However, in this year alone, I've done 2 callipers, bushes, rear spring and something else that I can't quite remember just now. I must have spent a good £500 - £600 on it in the last few months.There's also the new repairs needing done. I'm also sure that the CV boot will need done soon, there's a creaking/groaning noise from the front too, which I'm thinking must be related to the suspension. I'll also need new pads & discs in the not too distant future. The car is 10 years old now and has done close to 100k. (I know in newer cars that isn't really high).

Do I do all that on a 10 year old car when I know that in another year I may have to do it all again?? I do love the car....it's by far the most comfortable and nippy car I've ever owned. I'm just thinking this is maybe time to draw a line in the sand.

I really don't know what's best. Get a £5k loan and see what I can find for that money, or do I keep spending money on repairing a 10 year old car???
obviously we don't know your financial situation, nor would we want to but given the current economic climate ,is now the right time to be getting 5k in debt? maybe a short term fix but who's to say the car you buy won't throw up similar problems in 12 mths time ? maybe better the devil you know.
i'm only thinking of changing our car because we want a slightly larger tin tent and i have a feeling that ,even though our 1.5dci megane copes admirably with our current tin tent, i think she could well struggle with anything bigger

·
Administrator
10,627 Posts
Got to agree with Smutty.

I wouldn't want to place myself in a precarious financial position of going £5000 in the hole.

I had presumed you were looking at your own car plus around £1000.

I was faced with a similar decision a couple of months ago, when the HG failed on my seicento (I have AA breakdown & repair cover), so 'only' had to find a couple of hundred to cover what fell outside the claim limit, but if that cover hadn't been in place, I'd have probably had to scrap the car, as I couldn't justify spending near enough the purchase price again on a repair.

Personally speaking, I would keep the car until the mot is due, then take a more balanced view at that time.

Paul

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
obviously we don't know your financial situation, nor would we want to but given the current economic climate ,is now the right time to be getting 5k in debt? maybe a short term fix but who's to say the car you buy won't throw up similar problems in 12 mths time ? maybe better the devil you know.
i'm only thinking of changing our car because we want a slightly larger tin tent and i have a feeling that ,even though our 1.5dci megane copes admirably with our current tin tent, i think she could well struggle with anything bigger
Got to agree with Smutty.

I wouldn't want to place myself in a precarious financial position of going £5000 in the hole.

I had presumed you were looking at your own car plus around £1000.

I was faced with a similar decision a couple of months ago, when the HG failed on my seicento (I have AA breakdown & repair cover), so 'only' had to find a couple of hundred to cover what fell outside the claim limit, but if that cover hadn't been in place, I'd have probably had to scrap the car, as I couldn't justify spending near enough the purchase price again on a repair.

Personally speaking, I would keep the car until the mot is due, then take a more balanced view at that time.

Paul
Thanks guys. :)

Had we not had a cruel twist of fate recently, we would be repairing the car right now. I know this sounds kinda weird, but unfortunately on of our pets died recently, and adding things up, we were spending easily £70 a month on her. So, there's that money freed up, and I'm sure we could tighten our belts a little bit more.

I just pulled the £5k figure out the hat for an example. I've no idea what trade in price I'd get for a 52 Lag II with 96k on the clock, but I'd be surprised if it was anywhere near a grand??? From the cars I've seen today I reckon I could get a decent deal for around £4k, less the trade in obviously.

Nothings set in stone really. We only found out today how much the repairs will be, so we'll undoubtedly change our minds 3 or 4 times before deciding!

Thanks again for your help! :)

·
Premium Member
23,003 Posts
Better the devil you know and all that,personally I would keep the Lag until next year and then see how things are.Speaking from personal experience,I would rather own a £1000 car than owe money on a £5000 car.And also speaking as a person that is genuinely struggling financially I would be selling the caravan before spending out on a car to tow it.

At the end of the day,it is of course your choice and none of us know your exact circumstances.I still say keep the Lag though,it is a bit of a no brainer for me.:eek:

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I would be selling the caravan before spending out on a car to tow it.
what ? :eek: sell the caravan ?:eek::eek:, i'd sell our lass, the kids, the grandkids, the dog AND the cat, before i'd sell our 'van :rofl::rofl:
don't listen to lagdti ,marky, he knows not what he's saying :d

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol, cheers again guys!

Now in the cold light of day, I'm starting to rethink, and not so sure I do want a loan! On the other hand, I'm not sure I want to spend more on the car knowing I could possibly pay out more again in the next year too. It's a toughie!

If I were to buy shockers myself and get someone to fit them, which would be the best set to get? The guy at the garage mentioned Monroe shocks, which you can adjust with air. I take it these will be more expensive? Also, how big a job would it be to do(don't worry....not thinking of doing it myself, but just thinking of whether I could get it done at a local garage, or take it to National Tyres, who quoted me £300 for the job).

Found this link on Ebay, and it seems there's Monroe shocks for about £70 a pair. That can't be the same ones surely??? The description doesn't really tell you anything about them. http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...s+renault+laguna+II&_sacat=See-All-Categories

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
A Citroen C5 would make a great towing car, with it's Hydractive suspension. I've had three of them, all V6s, and they're beautiful cars to drive.

I would also suggest a Renault Vel Satis but it shares most parts with the Laguna II so that rules it out!

·
Administrator
10,627 Posts

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
lol, cheers again guys!

Now in the cold light of day, I'm starting to rethink, and not so sure I do want a loan! On the other hand, I'm not sure I want to spend more on the car knowing I could possibly pay out more again in the next year too. It's a toughie!

If I were to buy shockers myself and get someone to fit them, which would be the best set to get? The guy at the garage mentioned Monroe shocks, which you can adjust with air. I take it these will be more expensive? Also, how big a job would it be to do(don't worry....not thinking of doing it myself, but just thinking of whether I could get it done at a local garage, or take it to National Tyres, who quoted me £300 for the job).

Found this link on Ebay, and it seems there's Monroe shocks for about £70 a pair. That can't be the same ones surely??? The description doesn't really tell you anything about them. http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...s+renault+laguna+II&_sacat=See-All-Categories
unless your doing the work yourself, ya pays ya money & takes ya chance, the ebay shock's look cosha, will they do the job ? only way to find out is to buy 'em., have 'em fitted a
nd see what happens,
yes ,i know it's a suck it and see attitude but what options do we have ?

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Aaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnd.......the news you've ALL been waiting for! :d

I kept the car!

Me & The Mrs just really couldn't stomach taking out a loan just now....especially as I may not even have a job in a few years! In any case, we felt it best to get the shocks done and take our chances! A big thanks to all for all your thoughts & advice!

I ended up shopping around and went to Kwik-Fit for the shocks. Initially I was quoted £285 to have them, and a set of exhaust mounts fitted (that was with a 20% discount :eek: ) by National Tyres. Ended up getting new shocks from Kwik-Fit for £180. They were brilliant actually, as they fitted the rubber mounts for free (previously quoted £30 for that from National Tyres), on the understanding that I go back to them in the future!

I got the car back again, and you can really feel the difference with new shocks on there! However, and this is initially why I put the car in in the first place, I'm STILL getting a banging noise from the passenger side! It's really frustrating. It's as if something in the suspension gets stuck up inside the car when you go over a bump, and them comes back down again. This can also happen on a straight bit of road! It's quite hard to explain properly.

I wondered if it might have been the bushes, but neither Kwik-Fit or National Tyres saw anything wrong with them. I've attached a photo of what I think is the bush, as I'm not sure what a busted one looks like to be honest!

Thanks again guys! Vel, I will look into those courses.....I'd LOVE to do one. I'm just not so sure that they can be done at night (I work full time atm!). Thanks for the links though, much appreciated!!! :)

Cheers,
Mark

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,627 Posts
Thanks for the update Mark.

One of the reasons I thought about the 'course' route, was that you sounded eager, but just (understandably) nervous to attempt a repair yourself. The other reason was that these courses aren't always classroom-based, so you could've used your own car as a project for fault-finding (under supervision).

Hope the car rewards all the faith we have given it, by being trouble-free for a while.

Paul

1 - 20 of 24 Posts