Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks.

My Norten security package subscription is due to expire shortly, I also have Norten ghost.

Any suggestions on alternative package's or individual products that you have tried and tested.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I rate this guy's opinions pretty highly, in spite of the somewhat dubious name of his website. He had a recommended 'suite' of anti-malware products.

Bear Bottoms Freeware

The only Norton application I'd pay for these days is Ghost, which still manages a fine job of doing what it says on the box. In my experience, the rest of their products tend to be no better than the free alternatives. Often, they're not even as good.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Horatio I will investigate further.

I quite like Norton as a package, I have found it does the job but getting quite expensive now I feel, Ghost is very good.

I recently read a survey on security products and the freeware stuff came out very well on individual products if I remember, Unfortunately I did not save the info for future reference.

Regards

Ottoman

D

·
0 Posts
hi Otto,
we have recently changed from Norton to AVG internet security and have found it to be very good.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I have to say I'm not a big fan of Norton Internet Security for a couple of reasons.

One time, I was desperately trying to download a file. The site I was trying to download it for kept telling me off, insisting that I was using a 'stolen link' from another site, and pointing me to their genuine page. The problem was that I was trying to download it from the genuine page in the first place.

I spent ages tearing my hair out over this, and eventually disabled Norton Internet Security on the offchance. It worked! I later discovered that NIS was blocking the referrer on web pages as a security feature. That was great from a personal privacy point of view, but a right pain when you went on a website that actually needed the data.

Then there was a load of publicity over an earlier version, which was basically running the spam filter through an open, visible to the Internet POP3 mail server - one of the first things that hackers are likely to look for when scanning for hosts that warrant further investigation. This meant that NIS might actually be attracting hackers to the very machines that it was supposed to be defending.

Symantec could have saved the day by taking the problem seriously and agreeing to do something about it, but instead decided arbitrarily that the concerns weren't warranted and the vulnerability didn't pose any danger. They refused to do anything about it at the time (though I think they've since fixed it) and lost a lot of credibility in the eyes of many, including me.

The sad thing is that Peter Norton used to be a name you could trust. For many years, he was THE guru of the PC world. Now his name has been bought by Symantec purely for the guy's reputation. Most of the actual software really isn't anything to write home about.

My Sony laptop comes with Norton Internet Security pre-installed, and of course it re-installs it every time I have to do a factory restore. One of the first things I do as part of my 'installation plan' is to go into Add/Remove programs and get rid of NIS.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've been using for quite some time Zone Alarm, now ZA Security Suite that has Kasperski antivirus integrated, together with Avast. There seems to be no need for the Avast but still have not uninstalled it.
I tried Norton all packs but it seems too cumbersome for the comp to handle.

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Lavasoft Ad-Aware is a good freebie, as above I have used both Norton and McAfee (Network Associates in the old days) and although excellent products they tended to take over the PC. I too now use AVG and have had no problems, the automatic updates are good and the program takes up less HD space.
Regards Leroy

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
I have been running AVG anti-virus and AVG anti-spyware both free from the computeractive. co. uk. I have set it up to check for updates on a daily basis and touch wood no problems yet:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts