1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone
Totally new to this and a little bit of a “fish out of water” but here goes
I have a Renault Megane Privilege VVT (2006) which is the hard topped Cabriolet
I have had problems after the winter in trying to open the roof. One side of the boot section lifts while the other remains stuck.
My regular mechanic took a detailed look with me today and thought it was possibly the solenoid that releases the boot catch.
To firm this he ran a full diagnostics for me (FOC because he’s a great guy)
We got the following:
“DF091 Active unlocking boot/sunroof (opening phase) duration of sequence is considered to be too long”

Has anyone else come across this?

Thank You
Steve

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Ours2012

It is actually the boot section that is the issue - after the windows have all come down, the sunroof section and the boot try and rise up (to fold down) however the boot lifts on the drivers side but it sticks on the passenger side and therefore the whole movement fails

This is why we suspect it is the solenoid not releasing the catch that holds the boot arm in place - but we have no way of seeing this for sure - it is just a very good educated guess

But I haven't found anyone who has had the same issue and sadly I am not in a financial position where I can afford Renault Main Dealer prices to assess it and repair it

Cheers Steve

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,665 Posts
In the boot if you look each side you will see the side locks, but the rear lock, this is on a base plate., THIS base plate needs to be free to move.. As in the boot hook and the base plate move at an angle,
Open your boot, now take the cover off that goes over this plate If you find no screws, then this is just pressed down, its the cover that goes from one side of the car to the other Plastic trim as such..
When you have got down to the doings, oil the base plate, and keep pulling it back and send it forward until its free. Its on a strong spring/strap type design, but this must be free to move..
When your boot is being opened to get the roof to go into the boot, you should notice that the boot lid is now at an angle,, but if its sticking, then the left hand lock will not open correctly, The locks are interchangeable from Left to Right.
So one catch opens one way the other opens the other way..
The right hand is forced back by the momentum of the boot going at an angle.
The left is not.. Check for yourself , you will see what I mean..
So you could if you wanted, remove all the boot liner both sides, the base liner the shelf and swap them to see..
As the nuts that hold these locks on ARE not fixed to the plate, but are lose..

DAMHIK, thats why I am warning you , before you go for it..
Once you are happy The rear boot lock is free to move back,.
Try your Roof again..
Now Can I ask you again, does the roof move off its locating pegs at all, ( the front lifts off the front windscreen section )

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Again Ours2012

At the start of the opening process, yes the front of the roof starts to lift off of the windshield and the boot starts to open. It is at that point the passengers side of the boot does not release although the drivers side does, therefore stopping the process and leaving the boot ajar at an angle because one side has not released at all.

I will need to take all you have said on here and read it again with the boot open so I can understand what you mean I’m not too good at visualising it. And I wouldn’t attempt this myself I’d discuss it with my mechanic

Thank You
Steve

·
37,665 Posts
Two Pictures showing what I mean, but all the doings are below the plastic trim.
One of the pictures you can see it closed one open.
This flap will lift up with no real pressure when its working correctly..
If its not easy to move, then you will have issues..
Now as your sunroof will lift off high enough for you to get at the left hand side, where the hook goes in and locks.
Inside there is a micro switch, Spray penetrating oil inside and move the metal tab up and down, you will hear the micro switch click... You must get it to click, keep spraying until its free,, ..
Again this will stop your roof working correctly, it will time out..

Place a piece of wood over the top of the frame work, so if the roof drops, your hand, or your mechanics hand is not trapped

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Once Again Thank You Ours2012

I believe the pictures you are showing are of the boot catch - because I do not recognise them as part of the side mechanism which is what releases the boot in order for the sun roof to close into it.

The piece that is sticking and causing the fault is the passenger side boot release arm (that is probably not the correct name for it) - the boot operates fine when opening it to place shopping in etc. it is just when I try and open the sunroof that the issue happens

I have tried to take some pictures of the issue which I probably should have done in the first place to highlight what I mean, but this page won't allow me to upload them as it says they are too big :-( so the only way was to place them onto a document and PDF them

Cheers Steve

Attachments

·
37,665 Posts
Yes I understand where you are coming from,, As had these locks off on the CC, and swapped them over to be faced with the same fault, again on the nearside.
No wiring faults, it was (the rear base plate stuck..)
That and the Roof micro switch,.
Without the roof micro switch working properly, then the power is also cut to the nearside Locking system Again lots of head scratching to find it, (Diagnostics does not show this.).

It took a lot of finding, by the time I had sorted the roof out. I had worked out, how to get it back up, without the switch, or power, how to get the boot to hang on just the brackets , as in no rear boot lock, or side locks, I actually had a few months stripping one of these cars down to see how it works..
Bought with more faults than could be possible for me to list..
Just mentioning the Two parts to check before you go changing parts from one side of the car to the other....
These parts still need checking and would check these first, as the easiest to do, and are never maintained..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello Once More Ours2012

Firstly THANK YOU for all the info and suggestions

I shared your info with my mechanic and once we opened up the boot what you suggested made sense.

So we thoroughly checked the entire boot mechanism and in fact it was very free and was functioning very well. However it was not somewhere we would have thought to check, but by doing so it was just about the final piece of our puzzle to eliminate.

In fact the problem was the solenoid switch on the arm at the side of the boot lid as we had suspected and we have managed to fix it.

We opened the boot and manually locked it to make the car system think the boot was closed, and we ensured that the sensor screen was pulled across in place correctly. This allowed my mechanic to watch the mechanism in action as I set the roof opening into action. We only needed to attempt to raise the roof slightly before he could see the problem.

After opening and closing this several times, and in between my mechanic working to try and free the catch and at the same time lubricating it with WD40, eventually the catch freed.

After unlocking the boot with the key manually, and closing everything back down again, the entire system opened. We tested this around a dozen times with a WD40 spray every now and then to help the lubrication

I am delighted to say I now have a working roof, have had it down several times and am once again enjoying the sun (except today as it is pouring down here in Norfolk)

So again whilst your suggestions were not the actual fault, they certainly helped us eliminate all the possible problems allowing us to get down to the root cause

Thank you for taking the time to respond in the thread

Wishing you all the every best
Steve

J

·
0 Posts
I'm new and may be posting in the wrong place, but I have a problem with my 2006 CC VVT Cabriolet. When told we were getting the first nice weather this year, I tested my roof in anticipation. It worked fine. Next day the sun was out and the roof was dead! Nothing! Not even an error message as you get if say the load blind is not in place. I checked the load blind switch and it was stuck down. I bought a new switch, still nothing. Ive checked fuses and they are OK. Can anyone suggest anything? Before the sun goes away until next year.

J

·
0 Posts
Update. I went to Halfords today to buy more fuses. I thought I would try just a few more fuses. The Horn fuse looked a bit iffy, so I replaced it. The roof works! Apparently the electric window and Electric roof fuse are not needed! Anything wrong? Replace the horn fuse. I will never fathom out, what the horn has to do with the roof.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Nice Fix

Is it possible that the legend on the fusebox has been read incorrectly?

It is good you have fixed it, but as you say, it is unlikely that the horn fuse has anything to do with the roof section.

Enjoy the sunshine!!

·
37,665 Posts
Update. I went to Halfords today to buy more fuses. I thought I would try just a few more fuses. The Horn fuse looked a bit iffy, so I replaced it. The roof works! Apparently the electric window and Electric roof fuse are not needed! Anything wrong? Replace the horn fuse. I will never fathom out, what the horn has to do with the roof.
No one knows what Renault fuses are supposed to do..
Thanks for more info on these Roofs.

J

·
0 Posts
Thats what I thought at first. But The roof and widow fuses are not near the horn and I naturally looked at them first. As they were OK I was worried that I had a major problem. I had recently replaced the airbag clock spring squib with the light/wiper stalks. Thats when I noticed my horn was not working. So had 2 problems running together. But It was the Horn fuse that fixed both problems. Roof and Horn. Also the roof fuses are much higher amp, the horn is 15amp. Its worth readers with a similar problem to not only check the 2 fuses for roof and windows, but also the horn.

·
Super Moderator
13,565 Posts
How can i contact you " MSteveLaMy ". I have the same problem like you. Thank s
You Can't. No until you have more than 5 posts, when the Private Message system kicks in.
Any way, best done publically, for the benefit of all now, & for future readers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts