Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Supporting the weight of my engine? Timing Belt Change

Hi all, I'm thinking of changing my timing belt on my 1.6 16V laguna I soonish. I've read in the haynes to support the weight of the engine with a support beam for removing the engine mounting, however these seem expensive. Any ideas where I could place something to support the weight of the engine from underneath?

This will be my first timing belt change, I know I need the locking tools etc and am confident at doing the job as my car isn't going near a garage, just my problem is supporting my engine.

Cheers, Martyn.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Hi there,

I did a belt change on my 1.8 Lag a few weeks ago. You can use a jack to support the engine. Get a nice piece of 2x4 wood or similar, put that under the sump and then hold the lot in place with the jack. I've been using this method for years on various cars and not once has the sump cracked. Just be carefull not to jack it up too much or the sump will crack.

For the holding tools, you can get away with a drill bit to lock the crank, if not use a threaded bolt with the same thread as the bolt you took out, to hold the crank. With the cams I used a strip of 6mm steel with 2 prongs attached either end to lock into the cam lobes. Seemed to do the trick.

Becarful with the crank pully though, the only way these are held in place is from the clamping force of the bolt, there is NO woodruf key. So becarfull it doesn't slip after you've tightened it. Clean the crank pully, bolt and crank with brake cleaner bfore you put it back together. Make sure there is no grease about. Also put a tiny amount of clean engine oil on the crank bolt thread before you screww it back up, just make sure you don't get any on the pully!!!

Hope this helps

Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for reply, will try and do that, so not much lift on it just enough to take the pressure off the mounting?

When you say be carful with the crank pully is it safe to say that if I clean crank pully(sprocket?) and crank, I'll fit a new crank pully bolt to be safe. Then if I tighten the pully bolt to the correct torque and then angle tighten it that it should be ok and wouldn't slip?

Like I say this is the first time I'm going to do this and don't want anything to happen obviously so I'm getting as much info as possible before I go for it.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Sorry I do mean crank sprocket! Well spotted.
A new bolt is a good idea, probably best to get one just to be on the safe side. If you are using a new bolt, put it in there dry, only use engine oil if you are using the old blot.

If you torque it up properly and then angle tighten you can't go far wrong. It just that this sort of design tends to worry me as if you don't torque the bolt correctyl it might slip.

With lifting the engine you are spot on, just enough to take the strain while you remove the top mount of the left hand side.

Hope you get on well.

Cheers
Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts