Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A very interesting article in Change.org about the future of telecoms and the ramifications of ending the PSTN network.

The upshot is you will not be able to dial out in an emergency in a power cut.

If you have a normal phone without the need for a power connection you can still use your phone in a power cut.

The new system means that you will have to have a mobile or a backup power source, and that the network will only be powered for 1 hour after a power cut.

Check it out here,

https://www.change.org/p/jeremy-wright-mp-tom-watson-mp-the-future-means-you-can-t-call-999-in-a-power-cut/u/23921480?cs_tk=Aj_rL3c40Y17Ek9sTFwAAXicyyvNyQEABF8BvDlf3dgubM6cVcuPOOdyv9w=&utm_campaign=749189633e2b4138863731e2aa867d4b&utm_medium=email&utm_source=petition_update&utm_term=cs

And please vote for it, new technology is not always better.

:nerd: :smile2: :grin2: :laugh: >:)

·
Premium Member
14,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Signed and shared on facebook..:crazy:
Thanks Phil, I am not on any other social media than this.

Seems a crazy situation to do away with PSTN, pretty much guaranteed to be able to get through in a power cut with the PSTN but in my situation the mobile coverage is poor to non existent so not really a great idea for rural areas.

I keep an old touch tone phone that I plug in in a power cut to be able to get through to SW Power Distribution.

Generally when the electric goes it is in a storm of some sort so not really the best time to be isolated.

:nerd: :smile2: :grin2: :laugh: >:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts