Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a stupid question, but I have looked through the manuals and not found an answer.
Anyway, the on button for the Carminat sat nav is the audio power button. This switches on the radio. I don't want music playing when I'm following sat nav instructions. So the question is, how is the sat switched on without the audio system being on?
The pause button (to mute the radio) also mutes the sat nav instructions. Why is the sat nav so tied in with the audio system?

·
Registered
70 Posts
This is probably a stupid question, but I have looked through the manuals and not found an answer.
Anyway, the on button for the Carminat sat nav is the audio power button. This switches on the radio. I don't want music playing when I'm following sat nav instructions. So the question is, how is the sat switched on without the audio system being on?
The pause button (to mute the radio) also mutes the sat nav instructions. Why is the sat nav so tied in with the audio system?
Yeah I'd like to know too!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Tartan terrorist in a dress..
22,785 Posts
Thinks if you turn radio volume down then as an instruction from sat nav is being broadcast it should give you sat nav instruction but no radio ....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just find it very strange that you can't have the sat nav on without the radio being on.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,249 Posts
Can't speak for the carminat system but on mine, the radio automatically mutes when the satnav gives a direction.
When radio playing, I can set radio volume
If I adjust volume during satnav instruction, the satnav voice is adjusted and "remembered"
So easy to have quiet radio and loud satnav.
If I don't want radio, I switch to aux input with nothing connected.

Found this and think it is an official Renault site so can link. (If I am wrong, mods please delete link)
Page 16 refers to volume control and seems to be saying what I said above.
http://www.e-guide.renault.com/portail/data/systemes/Carminat_thermique/NW947-4_ENG.pdf

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
2,843 Posts
Can't speak for the carminat system but on mine, the radio automatically mutes when the satnav gives a direction.

When radio playing, I can set radio volume

If I adjust volume during satnav instruction, the satnav voice is adjusted and "remembered"

So easy to have quiet radio and loud satnav.

If I don't want radio, I switch to aux input with nothing connected.

Up top for thinking, down the bottom for dancing (dad).
Glad someone else uses the grey stuff.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, thanks for your comments, I guess switching to aux input is the way to go for me, as I don't listen to radio when I'm driving. But I mean, would it have killed them to add a power button for the sat nav? :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Up top for thinking, down the bottom for dancing (dad).
Glad someone else uses the grey stuff.
Thanks, I do have a brain, and already realised that switching to Aux would do the trick, but to my mind, seems like an inelegant solution. I just wanted to confirm it by asking the experts on here, as it seemed unbelievable that the system would be designed this way.
An independently switched sat nav would be the obvious design, but I guess they saved a fraction of a pence on a button and wire to the power.

·
23,249 Posts
To be honest, I cannot think of one piece of combined kit, from my kids TV with built in DVD, through printer/scanner and various boom boxes that has more then one power switch.
Can't think of one car Media/satnav unit that has more then one power switch.
Laudable if only to reduce cockpit clutter

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To be honest, I cannot think of one piece of combined kit, from my kids TV with built in DVD, through printer/scanner and various boom boxes that has more then one power switch.
Can't think of one car Media/satnav unit that has more then one power switch.
Laudable if only to reduce cockpit clutter
Ok my friend we will have to disagree. I don't think it's unreasonable to want to use the sat nav completely independently of the radio being on. Which is a different situation from the TV/DVD combo, where the DVD cannot function without the TV.
In software architecture terms it's the difference between aggregation, and composition.

·
Tartan terrorist in a dress..
22,785 Posts
Let's think logically here ... where is the display for the radio .. integrated into sat nav screen ... where is the sat nav software built into the radio not it is an "INTEGRATED " system so of you want a sat nav that works independently of radio buy a tom tom or garmain that is a stand alone unit .. means you can buy a slightly lower spec car to ....simples

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have my answer. Thanks to all who replied with useful comments. Please let's not draw this thread out with pointlessly trying to 'win' arguments. I don't want anyone to get annoyed.

Thanks.

·
23,249 Posts
Obviously differing opinions but these days a display screen in a car does so much and replaces so many buttons.
To a great extent, a driver needs to be flight checked on the screen before driving a new car.
It is going the way of aircraft cockpits where massed ranks of displays and switches are now condensed into a few screens.

Not sure if this is always done properly though.

I was next to a BMW (1 series I think) and could see the screen neatly embedded into the top of the dashboard.
Easily visible (bar sunlight) but seemed to have touch screen controls (big arrows)
Not sure that the driver could reach them while in a normal driving position ?
Maybe there were controls on the wheel or centre console to control the screen, dunno, but seemed odd.

·
2,843 Posts
Ok my friend we will have to disagree. I don't think it's unreasonable to want to use the sat nav completely independently of the radio being on. Which is a different situation from the TV/DVD combo, where the DVD cannot function without the TV.

In software architecture terms it's the difference between aggregation, and composition.

The sat nav operates in tandem with the radio, using radio signals and rds information, so it can constantly monitor the traffic conditions ahead on your journey. When it sees bad conditions it can and does calculate alternate routes to your destination to save time. It speaks up and offers you the new route or you can decline if you want, it's in the Tomtom live feature and requires subscription.
In August 2015 this feature saved me 1 hour and 45 minutes on a journey from stoke to Devon. Indeed yesterday it re-routed us around a couple of incidents on our journey to Sheffield and saved 40 minutes.
Given that, I'm quite happy to turn the radio on to have the sat nav on!
In the sat nav menu you can control its volume anyway, but as mentioned before, use the mute button on the radio and the sat nav will be heard along with traffic information that's valuable anyway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The sat nav operates in tandem with the radio, using radio signals and rds information, so it can constantly monitor the traffic conditions ahead on your journey. When it sees bad conditions it can and does calculate alternate routes to your destination to save time. It speaks up and offers you the new route or you can decline if you want, it's in the Tomtom live feature and requires subscription.
In August 2015 this feature saved me 1 hour and 45 minutes on a journey from stoke to Devon. Indeed yesterday it re-routed us around a couple of incidents on our journey to Sheffield and saved 40 minutes.
Given that, I'm quite happy to turn the radio on to have the sat nav on!
In the sat nav menu you can control its volume anyway, but as mentioned before, use the mute button on the radio and the sat nav will be heard along with traffic information that's valuable anyway.
Yes I can see the advantages of the Satnav, if you have a Tom Tom live subscription and do a lot of driving, but it's not really necessary in my circumstances.
Anyway, it turns out I was using the stalk mute control, which has the effect of muting not only the radio, but the Satnav. Obviously not desirable. But in the end Occam's razor applies, and as you suggested, the volume control of the radio itself does the trick.
Oh well, lots to learn about this car, by far the most feature rich I've ever owned, but liking it a lot.

Now if I can just get that spare wheel sorted out.. :)

·
2,843 Posts
Yes I can see the advantages of the Satnav, if you have a Tom Tom live subscription and do a lot of driving, but it's not really necessary in my circumstances.

Anyway, it turns out I was using the stalk mute control, which has the effect of muting not only the radio, but the Satnav. Obviously not desirable. But in the end Occam's razor applies, and as you suggested, the volume control of the radio itself does the trick.

Oh well, lots to learn about this car, by far the most feature rich I've ever owned, but liking it a lot.

Now if I can just get that spare wheel sorted out.. :)

If you mute the radio with the stalk during normal play, traffic announcements will still be heard, along with sat nav instructions and also telephone calls if you've connected one as a hands free device through Bluetooth.
Muting again during an announcement will stop all sounds, which is what it sounds like you're inadvertently doing.
If simply turning the volume down with the knob or wheel mounted controls works for you, then go for it.
Spend an hour in your car learning the systems with the handbook, TomTom handbook and radio handbook with you. There's nothing like just sitting there and figuring it out, as coming here and asking is all very well as long as you know exactly which system you have, there's 3 or 4 different ones offhand, and that's just for scenics.
As for the TomTom live, it's amazing for traveling, but my subscription expired a few months ago and I'm not re doing it until summer, but the unit still uses rds data to perform basic functions like re routine around accidents and traffic jams. Spend a bit of time setting up your Tomtom settings up and it'll work regardless, even alerting you of speed limits and camera locations, it's all there and it works fantastically.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts