Independent Renault Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,395 Posts
My old motorhome was a 1991 Talbot Express Highwayman 1300D, and we decided to downsize (as they say) after owning it for 14 years.
Did it Rust In Piece(s) ?? :wink2: The Talbots did seem very well designed but I've never seen that hasn't been riddled with rust everywhere apart from a couple of exceptional examples on 'for sale' listings.

I was tempted with one once which looked stunning but it was £1000 over my budget and from the Isle of Wight which means lots of salt air. I wasn't confident my investment would last that long :crying2:.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
We knew it had damp at the overhead, and the scuttle also had an attack of the rust-worm, but the chassis was solid. We gave it to the hubby's grandson, and it sailed through yet another mot, with nought but a little welding on a sill.

Talbots have a solid and loyal following, and even the rough ones sell well. Unfortunately, the Highwayman was too big for just me, (hubby likes the creature comforts of home now), so I found myself rattling about in it.

I suppose our needs have changed, and a day van, with me dissapearing for the odd weekend suits us better. We can also park the Trafic in our drive, and work on it when we have a spare 1/2 hour (the Highwayman ended up living in storage).

·
9,395 Posts
We gave it to the hubby's grandson, and it sailed through yet another mot, with nought but a little welding on a sill.
That's a good turn of events :smile2:

I suppose our needs have changed, and a day van, ........ We can also park the Trafic in our drive, ....
My van was primarily bought as a day van too. The Trafic is really the only van I can fit on my frontage ... I would've liked a roomier 4 birth van but that'd overhang the pavement which wouldn't please the neighbours.

·
9,395 Posts
I had the camera lying around handy today so I just quickly pointed it under the van and hoped for the best ...ground is too wet for me to get properly underneath the van ( :eek: wimp) but maybe these pics will give some sort of general idea of how my tank is located.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Many thanks, there does seem to be quite a few available empty spaces under the van, even if it's just to fit a waste water tank. These vans are just too small to carry 'unnessaries' inside.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts