Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Till recently my son had BMW M3 E46 Model it was a convertible with the paddle shift SMG model,he bought it at 18k miles beleiving that this kind of money can buy you motoring bliss WRONG; it was back at BMW twice for alarming engine surging when cold,very dangerous when entering main road,BMW say it was normal broken rear springs ,blown alternator, failing stability systems, blown air con,on corners, dash lit up like blackpool illuminations, how on earth he managed to get to 28k miles in this car was a feat in itself, its now gone he,s got a new Civic R,no probs yet, meantime my little DCI Clio of 3 years 92k miles has cost me nothing, ive got very fond this little oil burner, and its a nippy little blighter

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
It's funny how people slate french manufacturers in favour of German or Japanese engineering, yet as in your case, the french Clio has been perfect.

1-0 Renault :d

·
Premium Member
8,274 Posts
lol - agreed. I was once told by a colleague when my car was poorly - "always buy German or Japanese, you'll never go wrong" His then brand new Golf promptly went on to be a disaster area of a car, frequently in the dealers. It was a company car though so he didn't care.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Vauxhall ain't too bad with regards to build quality either - Mum's 2000 Corsa has only needed a Window wash pump. A new exhaust was needed, but that was due to the salty air we have here. The vectra is 4 years old and hasn't needed anything sorting outside of MOT/Service bits like brake pads.

My Clio has also only needed the usual few things - Hazard switch and airbag wiring repair. Not bad at all for a 5-6 year old car :d Love it to bits

I must say some German cars ain't the most comfy either. When Dad's veccie (Company car) had a rear-end smash we were given a brand new VW Passat. The suspension was stiffer and the seats were pretty much solid so it led to quite a harsh ride. Getting back in the Vectra for the first time in 2 months a few days ago was bliss - Soft seats and a smooth ride :d

·
Premium Member
8,274 Posts
A friend of mine has an Audi A4, nice car shame about the ride, seats, noise... Not a pleasant car to be in on a long journey! The Megane is quite happy to be a long distance cruiser as its just soooo comfy.

On the suject of percieved reliability, my mums old Toyota (M-Reg Carina) has only had usual service items in its 13 years, other than that a new radiator and thats it. Never failed an MOT test either.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I think we could all tell a tale or two of other manufacturers cars.....

My brother has had a Zafira from new for the past 2 years.He was never entirely happy with the performance......and then the engine had a re-arrangement of internal parts at 9,000 miles/1 year old.The dealer fitted a new engine as it showed symptoms of a manufacturing fault.

Vauxhall,Renault,BMW,Ford etc,etc are all the same.There are good ones and bad ones.Only the bad ones are remembered.

Me?.I wouldn't have a Vauxhall of any shape or description!.:d.Maybe a BMW,but I'd have to take the course that needs to be passed before owning one......treat everyone else on the road with distain,own the road,do not use indicators,do not even acknowledge anyone who doesn't own another BMW,ignore your imagination.:)

I'm happy with my Renault,but if it breaks down I'll swear at it and call it a heap a sh-t!.:)

·
Premium Member
8,274 Posts
Oh I don't know about all Vauxhalls lag - aside from a recent immobiliser problem my Vauxhall Movano van has been very reliable up to 161K miles. :)

But, the Renault Master looks remarkably similar to the Movano though.............. :rofl:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes i am very happy with my little clio DCI, needs oil change shortly, the clio is easy to work on, it,s been the best car iv,e had in recent years , and only £35 road tax,last winter we had a spell at -12 degrees and snow everywhere, but it never failed,it was so cold i couldn,t be bothered to put it in my garage

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Oh I don't know about all Vauxhalls lag - aside from a recent immobiliser problem my Vauxhall Movano van has been very reliable up to 161K miles. :)

But, the Renault Master looks remarkably similar to the Movano though.............. :rofl:
Mmm.....funny that!.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts