Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I took my Scenic to the garage because the engine light was on. they pluged the computer in & it said it was the TDC Sensor & Knock Sensor needed renewing. The garage has changed both sensors & now the car doesn't start at all now. The car was running ok before but now just turns over & doesn't fire. Any ideas just incase they try & rip me off.

Many Thanks
Rob:confused:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been back to the garage this afternoon. The car is still not starting. They have fitted a Renault TDC Sensor & Knock sensor due to what computer said.

The mechanic is now telling me this could be a fault with my ECU due to the coils failing two weeks ago?????

I cannot understand this response as the car was running fine before taking to the garage due to the engine light being on. Now the car doesn't fir at all just turns over.

I'm starting to get the feeling I’m being fleeced with the mechanic just trying to humour me. I dunno I might be wrong.

If any of you tech boys can give me some re assurance I would be well pleased as I'm at their mercy at the moment.

Many Thanks
Rob

·
Registered
9 Posts
sensor troubles

Hi, they ain't done their job properly. changing these sensors is quite easy (couple of bolts and a multiplug) so if it ran when it went in and now it don't it's their problem not yours!!!.
chances are they either havent lined up the tdc sensor correctly as this tells the ECU where the engine is, on which stroke etc so when to fire etc or the may have damaged it when fitting!!, the knock sensor only tells the ECU to adjust the timing slightly when running so should not be involved with the no start.

is this garage a dealer or just a local garage?

do they really know what they are doing?

just because you get a fault code saying somthings broke dont mean it is broke its only a guide and should be checked further before fitting new bits!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi it is a local garage but seemed to be very confident in doing the work. They said that the only way to turn the engine light off was to replace the 2 sensors that had shown up on the diognostics computer.

I hear what your saying it's deffinitely down to the TDC Sensor is why it's not starting.

Thanks for info, i'll try and get some understanding with the local garage.

Rob

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update, I received the car back last night & it was running like a dream also the engine light had gone out on the rev counter. Been out driving today for a couple of hours & the dreaded light has come back on.

I phoned the garage & told them I wasn't happy about this after just getting it back. The mechanic got a bit stroppy by saying it was nothing to do with the problems he'd just fixed & was down to petrol getting in the cat 2-3 weeks ago when the coils failed. I told him I didn't understand why this hadn't shown up before & strange for him to mention this before he'd even stuck the computer on to read the fault code.

Does anyone know if this sounds right because it makes no sense to me?

Thanks
Rob

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update, I've just purchased an OBD2 Trouble Code Reader so i'll try & work the problems out before returning to the garage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update, After buying an OBD2 Reader I have erased the fault code, something to do with oxgen sensor being below the threshold. I've been driving the car as nomal for 2 days now & the light has not come back on. I'm hoping thats the end of that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts