Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My RS 172 is acting funny lately. Sometimes when I start the car it turns over fine and the revs seem perfect. Other times it starts but the revs bounce around for a while until I put the accelaretor down. And sometimes the revs just die out and then the car cuts out.

A few people on cliosport.net have mentioned the TDC either needing a good clean or perhaps replacing.

No one seems to be able to answer me as to where I can find it, could anyone help? What does it look like?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Top Dead Centre is located at the left side of the engine above the bell housing. It's held in place by 2 x 10mm bolts. It's a curved metal band with a black sensor attached to it.

Hi, and is simply a matter of disconnecting it and cleaning it?

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
First thing I would do is remove it and give a good clean, the sensor is magnetic so it picks up small fragments of metal and crap and gives poor readings. I also cleaned the connector with electrical spray. Refit and see if it's made a difference. They cost about £25 if you need to replace but Renault have changed the plug and will try to sell you a new wiring kit for another £25. You dont need it you can just shave the lugs of the new plug and it fits.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts