Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Our TV is giving up the ghost,so we're off shopping on Saturday to find a new one.We would like an LCD screen job,32'' or over,and we have a budget of £500.We'd put the money back for a holiday,but the TV comes first!.:rofl:

We have found a Sony Brava 32'' for £411 including Vat at Mackro,and this is the one I'd go for as I've been lead to believe that Sony TV's are the muts,but we could get a bigger one of a lesser make for the same money.To be honest the size of our front room doesn't justify anything too big,but I do like the sound of a 42'' screen to play Wii games on.:eek:.

Any high street bargains that you've seen or any other recommendations?.We're not going down the road of buying one on t'internet this time as we have the cash and want one this weekend,so eBay etc are out of the picture I'm afraid.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.:)

EDIT;Sound quality is pretty important as my hearing isn't great so I need one with a decent sound set up that I can adjust so I can hear it without having it too loud.My eyes hurt if I use the subtitles too much!.:d

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
I've had my fair share of TV's through the years and always find myself going back to Sony when i want a decent set. Both Wega and Bravia are top quality. Have you tried Richer Sounds? They do some ridiculous prices on flatscreen TV's. :cool:

Reactions: Lagdti

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never heard of Richer Sounds,but I've just searched for them and theres one in Bournemouth which is close to me.:)

The prices look very good....I'll have a look at their website in more detail.

Thank-you very much.:)

S

·
0 Posts
One of the few shops you might consider actually going to to get some sound [sic] advice. In my experience their staff actually do know what they are talking about

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Don't rule out lesser known makes of TV.

When we replaced our a few years ago I ended up buying a TV made by DAEWOO of all people.

It didn't have half of the features that some other brands had, most of which I hadn't heard of or realised that I needed.

It does however have a good picture and sound quality and was considerably cheaper than many other makes. Five years on I have no intention of changing it for any plasma or LCD versions as it is still well up to the job.

As with many other purchases don't pay over the odds, sometimes the big names aren't the best value.

Definately try out Richer Sounds as mentioned above. I've never bought a TV from them, but with DVD and MP3 players they gave me good advice and recommended top quality kit at very reasonable prices.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Try the Samsung '4'series. I have been looking recently and although I don't really like the picture quality on any of these new tv's I have to say samsung is the better. Look at Tesco they are around £500 for a 32".

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi Lag i was just at Asda Wal-Mart just the other day and there was an lcd tv 32" there that caught my eye with many features and well below your budget,sorry not sure what make it was again:but just because its not a branded name means nothing nowadays,well it has been said already samsung picture quality is second to none,my home PC screen is samsung LCD and now is 2 years old and i have no intention of changing it its the dogs balls, i hope this helps Donald.

·
Random Visitor
2,610 Posts
Specs:

Toshiba 32" HD LCD TVwith Freeview32AV504BD
• Receives all Freeview digital TV and radio stations
• HDMI ready - 2 x HDMI inputs
• Active vision enhances image picture quality
• 8-day electronic programme guide
• Energy Saving Trust credited

Screen size: 32"
Freeview: Yes
Contrast: 20,000:1

HD Ready: Yes
HDMI Sockets: 2
Resolution: 1366 x 768
Scart: 2
Brightness: 400 CD/m2
Component: Yes
Dimensions: 55.2x79.6x99cm
(WxHxD Includes stand)
Aspect Ratio: 16:09
Viewing Angle: 178
Weight: 12.9kg (Incl.Stand)
Child lock: Yes

Was £499.99 now £399.99

Picture Attached

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
For LCD, Samsung, LG and Sony are the top dogs at the moment in my opinion. We have got a 32" Samsung at the bottom of the bed and a 47" LG in the Lounge, outstanding for the Wii I must add, lol.

Dixon's are quite good as they are cheaper than most highstreet prices due to them not having anymore shops. I know they are the same company as Curry's and Comet but still worth a look.

NOTE!!!

Do you have Sky+? If you do look at the make of the plus box. If it is a Thompson then steer clear of Samsung as they arn't that compatible with each other. Some people at Sky know this. I got them to change my plus box for a Pace one, Amstrad is the other make, which is the other option if you are in warranty still.

Basically the problem is the picture jumps as though you are turning the TV on and of fast, does it on most recordings too. It took me some forums hunting to find that out, lol.

·
Premium Member
1,012 Posts
Don't rule out lesser known makes of TV.

When we replaced our a few years ago I ended up buying a TV made by DAEWOO of all people.

It didn't have half of the features that some other brands had, most of which I hadn't heard of or realised that I needed.

It does however have a good picture and sound quality and was considerably cheaper than many other makes. Five years on I have no intention of changing it for any plasma or LCD versions as it is still well up to the job.

As with many other purchases don't pay over the odds, sometimes the big names aren't the best value.

Definately try out Richer Sounds as mentioned above. I've never bought a TV from them, but with DVD and MP3 players they gave me good advice and recommended top quality kit at very reasonable prices.
I can vouch for this. There are two or three factories that make the actual LCD panels, they just have different casings. We have a 37" Matsui bolted to the wall, and we can't fault it. Just need to get something that provide an HD signal for it now!

·
Premium Member
8,274 Posts
Just around a year ago now since I spent £500 at Argos on a TV. I wanted a more "known" make like Panasonic, Sony etc but a year back £500 would get you a cheaper make 32" or a "decent make" err, smaller one :eek:

So I got a 32" Hitachi LCD jobbie and have been consistently impressed with it. Decent blacks, decent sound, decent refresh rate. When I persuade the Mrs to let me have Sky HD it works great on that too (tried it on my Dads HD setup). Value for money to be had I rekon!

Nice tip on the Sky+ issue Mike - I remember reading about it last year, must've slipped my mind! It may be worth noting that pace Sky+ boxed are regarded as the best of the lot - the Amstrads tend to have recording "issues" though I've had my Amstrad Sky+ box for over 2 years with no problems... Digital Spy forums are a good place to look for this kind of stuff :)

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
Nice tip on the Sky+ issue Mike - I remember reading about it last year, must've slipped my mind! It may be worth noting that pace Sky+ boxed are regarded as the best of the lot - the Amstrads tend to have recording "issues" though I've had my Amstrad Sky+ box for over 2 years with no problems... Digital Spy forums are a good place to look for this kind of stuff :)
I agree Bob. The Pace one does seem to be the best out of the 3. As for TV's, Hitachi are as good a make as any with these, as well are panasonic, toshiba and all the others, however, some are better with plasma than LCD though.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Personally, I think Sony stuff is overrated. I'm writing this on a Sony laptop that's on its second keyboard (the second one having cost 120 quid) and the letters started to wear off both within a week.

This link might be worth a look.
http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Displays/Televisions/

If you're quick, 516 including VAT will buy you a Hyundai 42 incher! A tiny bit more will buy you a 37" Hyundai that they seem to have more stock of. The 32" cheaper branded stuff is at bargain basement prices - the Teco one comes with 3 years on-site warranty for 340 quid. That's peace of mind and plenty of change for beer.

We bought a 32" LCD the Christmas before last when our 25" CRT started getting really flakey. I worked on the basis that a 32" 16:9 was the nearest equivalent in picture height to the 25" 4:3, but when I got it home, it looked massive. It doesn't look so massive now mind you, and I wouldn't mind sticking it in the bedroom and putting a 37" or 42" down here.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I would ensure you get a good guarantee - we bought a Hitachi 46" plasma just 2.5 years ago, and it has literally only been on a couple of hours per week on average.

It now doesn't have any sound at all.

Paul

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh blimey.....I wasn't expecting such a reaction!.:eek:

Do the LCD's suffer from any reliability problems.I'm lead to believe that the early plasma's didn't tend to last too long,is this the case with the LCD's too?.

Mrs.Lag has been looking tonight whilst I was watching a cr4p game of football:)d) and has found a 37'' Philips with all the bells and whistles for £469(rrp £899),which again is from Mackro.I've had older style Philips TV's before and they have been excellent,anyone else have any experience of their LCD's?.

As for Sony,I had a car CD player which lasted less than 3 months,and my brother-in-law has had Sony/Ericson phones which have had niggling faults,so I suppose they aren't all their cracked up to be.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
I would have to recommend LG myself. We have a 32" downstairs and I liked it so much I bought the next gen 26" for my room (only £400 and that was about a year ago :cool:)

Picture quality is OK, however I don't have Sky HD in my room - we have it downstairs but the HD box is going down the can steadily and so we get maybe 10 minutes of a HD channel before it craps out. So I can't comment on HD quality from TV - gaming however is brilliant. I moved to this TV from a 14" portable so I really noticed the difference.

Sound quality is good, the menu allows you to change EQ settings too.

I've had no problems whatsoever - even in a room that in the summer can hit 26C :crazy:

This is how it looks on my wall if you're interested :) (...and yes, the stand for the Sky box is at a weird angle :rofl:)

1 - 20 of 76 Posts