Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, need an oil change but partners maternity pay really kicked in this month so no lovely Amsoil for me :(

I did notice Tesco have their own brand Synthetic at something like £4 a litre. Sounds like a bargin.

Do you think it's better to buy a cheap synthetic like that over any standard or branded mineral oil.

Also any idea how much a good garage will charge to do the change?

·
Registered
87 Posts
this oil looks same spec of the exol oil ive got off ebay, that works out at £12 for 5 litres, the total oil works out £18 if you pick it up or almost £27 if you need it delivering, if you can collect the total oil looks good buy, but im using the exol 5w/40 fully synthetic i got 25ltr delivered for £58, will get 6 oil changes from that amount so works out £9.50 a oil change.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This oil thing does get me thinking...
firstly, I have never seen a Renault owners manual that gives a choice of synthetic. anyone out there, please put me straight.! all I read is CF.
I personally do not use anything with a spec of lower than CH4. CF being the most obsolete spec still in service.
The sulphur content of your diesel also plays a part as it could be 0.5% , 0.005% or 0.0015%.. and the oil spec should align with the fuel spec.

So the question is... is a low spec synthetic (CF) better than a higher spec mineral (CH4, CI4, or CJ4) ???
CJ4 can only be used on 0.0015% fuel and this combination can do long interval oil changes.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
This oil thing does get me thinking...
firstly, I have never seen a Renault owners manual that gives a choice of synthetic. anyone out there, please put me straight.! all I read is CF.
I personally do not use anything with a spec of lower than CH4. CF being the most obsolete spec still in service.
The sulphur content of your diesel also plays a part as it could be 0.5% , 0.005% or 0.0015%.. and the oil spec should align with the fuel spec.

So the question is... is a low spec synthetic (CF) better than a higher spec mineral (CH4, CI4, or CJ4) ???
CJ4 can only be used on 0.0015% fuel and this combination can do long interval oil changes.
Confused :(

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Hi,

I recently bought Halfords fully synthetic whic they do for petrol and diesal. At the moment you buy 5 litres and get 5 litres free. Works out at £3.10 a litre. Anyway I am a bit of a brand name junkie - but when I worked out how soon I will be covering the next 9000 miles could'nt bring myself to pay the extra.

No idea how good the Halfords brand is (bit suspecty that they were giving away 5 litres free)

Probably shop around on the internet for next oil change.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Cheers that's a good tip. I think doing fully synth every 9k is good enough to compensate for any nonbrand weaknesses...

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Took the plunge and bought 20 litres of halfords fully synth for £63 on saturday - should last three changes! cheers for the tip :)

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Well done - I guess you bought 2 and got 2 free. Buying just 10 litres is not as useful an amount. On my Engine I used near on 7 litres so I am left with 3 which I hope would'nt use all for topping up. I noticed the spec has Vw500 etc which is the same as Castrol Turbo edge.

Anyway I think it is 'good' oil

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Get down there and bag a couple more while the offer's still on ;)

... couldn't believe my local *********** were still recommending semi synthetic?!! or maybe he made a mistake?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts