Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I posted a thread here recently called 'Laguna Idling Fast', because it is.

Various research avenues have given me various ideas and many point to any one of the many sensors under the bonnet. As these are all connected to the ECU it makes diagnostics for the skint DIYer very difficult (this we all know).

I would like to know if it is possible for these items to be tested individually as one or more may be responsible for my problem. The ones I have in mind are:

Air temp sensor
Knock sensor
Map sensor
Oxygen sensor
Idle speed control valve
Ignition power module
Canister purge solenoid valve (what is this? :crazy: )
Crankshaft sensor

I have prolly missed some.

I know how to test the water temp sensor which is why it is not in the list :eek: (ok - electrical resistance reduces as its temperature increases).

So come on anyone with more knowledge than me - this means almost all of you - please feel free to chime in with your diagnostic ideas and lets see if we can get my car idling properly again:) , or it won't pass another MOT:( .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
To test a lambda sensor:

The lambda sensor can be tested for output by connecting it to a digital voltmeter, set to a 2v scale. Connect the +ve test lead to the sensor signal wire and the -ve test lead to earth/battery -ve. The voltage produced should swing from app 0.2v to 0.8v and back around once per second. If the voltage is stuck high then the engine is probably running rich for some other reason. If stuck low then usually either a faulty Lambda Sensor, air leak or an engine running very weak for some reason.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts