Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been told this could be a charcoal filler but I have no idea where to find it, any suggestions would be appreciated.
As I put diesel in it instantly cuts out.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,778 Posts
Had to ask.
When you say cuts out when filling???

Normal is to turn off engine, then fill.
If you are filling with engine running, I am wondering if tank breathing or pick up is being compromised.

Is it running now?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I'm not been very clear am I.

I put the diesel in (car already off) and the diesel pump constantly cuts out during refill. It put about 20pence in the cuts out again, just like when you fill the tank to the top.

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
try changing the angle of the pump nozzle and how far you put it into the filler hole. Some cars are just a pain.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,778 Posts
Ah
Makes sense now.
What Fraser says, some can be a right pain, my youngest's Fiesta needed the nozzle twisted at about 45 degrees to fill smoothly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes.. just rotate the filler nozzle round by 60 degrees or so.

There's a vent inside and at the top of every filler nozzle that the pump sucks air through. That air pressure holds the trigger open, so when the fuel tank is full (or you pressed the vent up against the inner spill flap), the pump can't suck air through the vent, the pressure drops and the pump shuts off. If you rotate the nozzle slightly, it moves the vent away from the spill flap and keeps the trigger open.

Ralf S.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,844 Posts
My Clio can be a right pain, moving the nozzle helps as does letting the fuel level drop
lower than half before refilling, some brands of fuel are worse than others as they froth
more.

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
4,065 Posts
Mk2 Puntos are a pain as well. Not just Renault. Ye canna change the Laws of Physics.
Some pumps flow faster than others and that makes it worse.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts