Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The F1 poll has been decided and finished,the rallying one is awaiting your votes,so now it's time to start nominations for people who have made their name on 2 wheels.Any form of 2 wheel racing is included,as long as an engine is involved.:)

I'm reletively new to being a bike racing fan so my knowledge is limited,but the first name I'd like to mention is Valentino Rossi.He is a genius on two wheels,and although his talent does seem to be fading a little of late,he is a genuine sporting legend.

I have a few others in mind but I suspect others will mention them with more knowledge of their achievements than me.:eek:

P

·
0 Posts
Well I guess Mick Doohan will have to be in there.

A guy who has to be helped onto his bike to compete gets my vote

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep,both very much worth a nomination.

The road racers in particular get my complete respect.:eek:

How about the very shy,retiring,modest Mr.Fogarty?.He's contraversial but his WSB titles speak for themsleves.

P

·
0 Posts
There is only one for me and thats the late Joey Dunlop;) :) cheers Donald
That's very true Don

I'm going to nominate Schumacher now, cause by the time Laggy's finished this epic he could well be a world champion bike racer too:d

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Yep,both very much worth a nomination.

The road racers in particular get my complete respect.:eek:

How about the very shy,retiring,modest Mr.Fogarty?.He's contraversial but his WSB titles speak for themsleves.
Iam no bike man but i did watch quite alot road racing when i lived in NI and yes they boys have big balls:d oh yeah Fogarty would well be a worthy candidate with out a doubt,cheers Donald

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How about Mr.Barry Sheene?.I never had the chance to watch him race and don't really know much about his career,but I've seen the list of bones he broke in his time racing and I couldn't believe it!.Away from the track he sounded like he enjoy life to the absolute full too.:)

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
I did see Barry Sheen many times and he really was one of the best.

Is anyone old enough to remember Jarno Saarinen? he would be in my top 3.

I would have to say either Kenny Roberts or Giacomo Agostini would be top.

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
The only other I would nominate is Surtees as he is the only one who also won Car Grand Prixs.
I'd agree with John Surtees. to go from winning on 2 to winning on 4 is good. Might not be the best though, but definately one for the overall greatest driver vote as he fits into 2 catagories.

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
Another tough one, im going to have to choose between a few, David Jefferies, Agostini, Duke, Bill Ivy and suprised no one has mention Mike Hailwood , Jim Redman, Gary Hocking, Mick Grant. One guy who never realised his full potential due to his death was the incredible Jarno Saarinen.

I could go on:d
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgIzCwZLTJk

Did I mention Phil Read;)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks like I'd better get the reference books out and look up some of these names.:eek:

A few more from my era......Kevin Schwantz,Troy Bayliss and apparently the most naturally gifted 250 rider ever,Max Biaggi.

I am really going to have to research the history of the sport a bit more though.:)

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
Something worth remembering is that the riders up to the late 70's would compete in GP's often in 3 classes and still do national meeting and the TT in between, so you would see them at your local cicuit as well again competeing in 4-5 classes

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Lots of the 50's and 60's GP/F1 racers were also bike racers, Ascari, Surtees, Hailwood to name some ... but its really got to be the late Joey Dunlop ... :)

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Giacomo Agostini

The guy had everything.

Looks, Charm an incredible rider .

A phenominal record of wins in so many different classes

He did not fair so well when he tried to change to 4 wheels

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We have a good mix of names now,but I'll leave the thread open for a few more days and see if anyone else gets mentioned.:)

This will be the next poll.:)

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
We have a good mix of names now,but I'll leave the thread open for a few more days and see if anyone else gets mentioned.:)

This will be the next poll.:)
Look forward to it. Like I hhave said previously my Bike knowledge isn't too great but I think I know who I am voting for.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts