Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi dudes, well i posted ages ago regarding a leak i had in my laguna, i replaced the boot seel and also filled it with silicon. Only to find water in the boot , not alot but enough to bother me. Member Scatz unfortunately has the worst case of leaking laguna syndrome, as he has water in the foot wells, as where i have it under the rear seats. If i lift up the boot floor the sponge is wet underneath. I have also rodded the sunroof pipes and poured hot water down them to find the water run away down to the rear bumpers above the wheel arches. Which i am told is correct.

Well last night i had enough so i pulled th seats forward a doused the boot in talcum powder (Havard M&S not mine , my dads) and left the boot floor pushed up so i could identify where the water was coming from. Talc tip was given to me by member TAZ. (nice one)

I have attached a picture for what good i do not know, the quality is not good.. But what are your thoughts. Can water get in throught the lights, does this sound familiar to anyone. I squirted water at the light today and nothing came through.

So today i went into the boot and Saw a minature puddle of water in the Rear Right hand side of the boot.

Please your thoughts :cool:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,794 Posts
I have a major leak on the passenger side footwell, cant work out where it is coming from, but most likely its the door, is a large puddle in this rain, so guess its another trip to garage and yet more money:mad:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No dont PAY!

Moira dont bother paying someone to do what you can do your self. The reason i urge you not to is because i was very uncomfortable with takin apart my car , but everything comes apart with one torque screw fitting. Its all about being patient (something i have very little) But a garage will just charge you loads to look. And then may not find it. What you should do i just firstly set a talcum powder trap around the suspect area and then leave it , it really helps. If you have a leak there it could be a door seal, you can get them from breakers yards, or just pull the existing seel of and then re-sit it or maybe fill it with silicon so it beceomes water tight. But the only other paces are the sun roof or boot seel. Check your roof lining to see if its wet. i have had this car for only 3 weeks i think and i love it as its only done 80,000 so i want it to go another 50,000 at least, so my leak has become my arch nemesis. Just a little bit of fiddling can make a world of difference. Members Scatz and Taz are some from the top of my head that have had leak issues so check out them. Hope this helps. :rolleyes:

Also i see you are a diamond member so you probably know all this anyway sorry if i sound condersending.

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Joker, did you check the rubber hose that protects your wires from the roof to boot gap. This, as I mentioned in my post was one of my leaky areas. I can't really tell what area you have photographed but if it is the rear corner of the boot space then it could be exactly the problem I had as the water ran into the roof lining, down the rear pillar and into the rear corner of the boot, then forwards to underneath the rear seats. As mine was particularly bad, there was enough water to travel into the footwells also.

If your water is entering the boot space and you have already renewed the seal then start looking upwards. It could be coming in from the hose area or from the boot bracket area if this is in anyway corroded.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
scatz that area is the rear right hand side of my boot mate. The yellow sponge is damp also. My roof lining is not damp at all either. was your wet there as a result of a bad sun roof seel.

·
Premium Member
12,025 Posts
Roof lining became wet only after an absolutely horrendous day of heavy rain but the water had been getting in prior to this but never showed on the roof lining before. Sunroof was absolutely fine, no problems there. As I also mentioned, there is a rubber tube that runs from the roof to the actually boot door (its on the left hand side at the top of the boot opening), this is where my leak was from and it had exactly the same effect that yours is showing signs of. It may well look like the area watertight but do not assume that it is.

Am I making sense about the area to look? I can post a pic of the offending area if you want.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Found it !!! At Last!!!

Well people after another day of fiddling i have found the leak , not one but two, i was just about to go grazy when i realised that i had never really look at the left hand rear corner, where the small item holder is bolted in. So i took it apart an created a rain effect to see what would happen, i was feeling very pissed of and thought nothing would happen, countless times i have created a rain with my hose, only to find no water, but today the water shot in. Just below the lights is a seam, my seam letting in water, at first i thought it was the lights but no... they were bone dry on investigation, i then tried the other side and again water. The waters entry point is just above the black rear bumper below the lights , on the left its worse but i created rain again , and voila! there were drips on the right,and on the left a trickle. I could not take off the rear valance and bumper, but i siliconed the seams internally but its something a mechanic can do, it needs removing and then re sealed. :rofl: ;) :d :cool: Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Leaks darn leaks

Hi Joker - glad you've found the source - Hurray - persistence pays off in the end.:d
It looks like the seams haven't been sealed properly during manufacture. Is it possible the car was damaged sometime in its life and the seams wern't sealed after repair - if your gonna get them sealed properly - make sure you use the right stuff (available from most good motor factors). Only certain types of sealant will accept car paint. Good Luck and well done!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i am quite lucky as the repair is behind the valance so know need for re-painting. Hopefully my mechanic will take over from now.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Leaks

Wrong - the sealing compound is porous and isn't fully waterproof - eventually it will absorb moisture and start to rust the sealed edges of the metal. As its out if sight any colour would do as long as its proper gloss paint as primer is also porous. If your gonna do - do it right!:crazy:

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Nice one Joker... glad you got it sorted.

I'm gonna wait for a sunny day before whippingoff the bumper and sealing the bits that need sealing. Mine still leaks as well, no where near as bad as before, but like you said, enough to bother me. It's in the same sort of area as well, but mine is normally parked with the slant towards the passenger side, although the dampness is under the higher point (driver's side rear light).

Mine alos has a roof arial at the rear (not out of choice) and although I sealed that up before, I'm gonna have another go at that too (lack of access there to be honest)

·
Premium Member
16,794 Posts
Moira dont bother paying someone to do what you can do your self. The reason i urge you not to is because i was very uncomfortable with takin apart my car , but everything comes apart with one torque screw fitting. Its all about being patient (something i have very little) But a garage will just charge you loads to look. And then may not find it. What you should do i just firstly set a talcum powder trap around the suspect area and then leave it , it really helps. If you have a leak there it could be a door seal, you can get them from breakers yards, or just pull the existing seel of and then re-sit it or maybe fill it with silicon so it beceomes water tight. But the only other paces are the sun roof or boot seel. Check your roof lining to see if its wet. i have had this car for only 3 weeks i think and i love it as its only done 80,000 so i want it to go another 50,000 at least, so my leak has become my arch nemesis. Just a little bit of fiddling can make a world of difference. Members Scatz and Taz are some from the top of my head that have had leak issues so check out them. Hope this helps. :rolleyes:

Also i see you are a diamond member so you probably know all this anyway sorry if i sound condersending.
Thanks, if weather is nice this weekend will try that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts