Independent Renault Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
381 - 400 of 428 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
(Just thought i'd make a positive post as opposed to another tale of woe):cool:
And in that same spirit, mine passed it's MoT today with flying colours. 101,000 miles.....no more Renault warranty....let's see how creative Warranty Direct are when it comes to refusing to pay up.

Damn, I've spoilt the mood now...

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Its good to get some positive feedback. I have never kept a car for as long as I have kept my VS, now had it 5yrs. Normally I would change cars at 1st MOT time and believe me I have been looking around for a replacement but just cant find anything better for comfort space and general practicality, hence I cant bring myself to part with it. It also seems that the older it's getting the better it's becoming. Now on 103,000 mls and seems quieter, smoother and MPG regularly moves into the low 50's but general running around is providing mid-high 40's.
I am tempted by the 3ltr grand espace initiale but do I really need a 3ltr?
John

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
I should add that sticking to 60mph and not using cruise control saw a return of 56.5mpg. But sticking to 60mph for 300 miles takes too long and is boring! ;)

·
Premium Member
4,192 Posts
Its good to get some positive feedback. I have never kept a car for as long as I have kept my VS, now had it 5yrs. Normally I would change cars at 1st MOT time and believe me I have been looking around for a replacement but just cant find anything better for comfort space and general practicality, hence I cant bring myself to part with it. It also seems that the older it's getting the better it's becoming. Now on 103,000 mls and seems quieter, smoother and MPG regularly moves into the low 50's but general running around is providing mid-high 40's.
John
I know how you feel! I feel the same way about my Avantime. The only other car I'd consider at the moment would be the Citroen C6 - Soooo comfy!

·
Registered
10 Posts
2.2 dci engine

Hi Madnoel
Thanks for such a quick reply. I don't know exact engine type as it's not shown on the V5. The car is variant BJOE06, the engine number is :censored: and the vin number is :censored:
Regards Sean

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
John
Blimey, I reckon I'm doing well if it averages 38mpg! I've just bought a Volvo 960 estate to keep the VS company - now we've got a dog I need an estate, given there's so little value in the VS I thought I'd keep it going for another year at least and buy a smoker for the weekends. Havn't had a straight six for years, it's a lovely old thing.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Well done Andy, you got a great MPG figure in Cornwall, nice one! I get higher than that in my 3.0 but only if I drive pretty slowly and steadily, with no spirited uphill driving, so you did really well.

You keeping your car now then as I know you were selling it recently?

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I know how you feel! I feel the same way about my Avantime. The only other car I'd consider at the moment would be the Citroen C6 - Soooo comfy!
Same here Hugh, I just can't think of anything that would replace my Vel Satis for similar money.

I like C6s but they're about £10-12k second hand at the moment, much more than Vel Satises and Avantimes. I've thought about the Lexus GS300 (not the brand new one, the one til about 2004/5), the Jag S-Type or a Volvo S80, but they still don't offer the huge space that Avantimes and Vel Satises do, for the money.

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Well done Andy, you got a great MPG figure in Cornwall, nice one! I get higher than that in my 3.0 but only if I drive pretty slowly and steadily, with no spirited uphill driving, so you did really well.

You keeping your car now then as I know you were selling it recently?

Nope, sold her yesterday unfortunately. :( Really liked the VS but just couldn't warrant running 2 cars. The fact that spares are so ridiculously priced was a big contributory factor. Front wing mirror cover for the VS was £38, whole electric mirror for the 9000, £15 on eBay. :crazy:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello!

I bought my VS in June 09. I'm from Slovenija, Europe.
I am very sattisfied with it. I made 11000km so far. It had 59700km when I bought it, and the colour is champaign.
Before I had BMW 523, Toyota Celica, VW passat, BMW 730i, Opel Omega, Ford scorpio and Yugo was my first car.:crazy:

·
Registered
1 Posts
What?

I saw a Range Rover in London with the name across the tailgate very professionally changed to Hangover.

I'm pleased with my VS. This year had four new brake discs, four new tyres. Last year my heater got flooded cos of leaves clogging the drains under the windscreen.

Now the Conboarsd computer tells me I have two flat tyres - I'm assuming the garage made a mistake in fitting the tyres.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Vel satis brake discs

Hi there, just had new brake discs all round and new tyres also. As it ended up costing me more than I planned, I thought I would mention a couple of things to other VS owners, which may save them some trouble.

Some of the quality aftermarket Brake suppliers list One front brake disc for the VEL SATIS between 2002 and 2005 ( the phase 1 cars ). The disc is a ventilated 324 mm diameter.
As my brother and I both have a VS 3.0 Dci Initiale each, I ordered two sets of EBC front brake discs at the same time - a few months ago. His were fitted straightaway without problems ( 2002 model ). However, when I took my car ( 2003 Model ) to the garage a couple of days ago to get mine fitted, the garage put one disc on the car and then could not re-attach the wheel ! Reason -: towards the end of 2002, RENAULT changed the wheel bolts from a 12 mm diameter thread to 14 mm diameter thread.
So I had to spend out extra on a New Pair from RENAULT for about £160.
The discs certainly do wear - they say about 3 sets of pads before they need changing.
The same applies to the REAR Brake Discs, which when a Genuine RENAULT Part, have the rear wheel bearings built in - some aftermarket types do not. By the time you buy a new wheel bearing and have it pressed into place, there may not be much of a saving over original.
Anyone needing a Quality New Pair of Front Discs for the 12 mm wheelbolt models, let me know - I will part with them at a greatly discounted rate - £66 pair plus post.
On a good note, I now have the car back with 4 new Pirellis and all new disc brakes and pads.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Let us know how you get on with your 4 new Pirellis. Will be interesting to see how many miles you get out of them. My rear Continental Sport Contact 3's and front Michelin Primacy HPs seem to be doing well but I only drive my 3.0 diesel Vs once a week.

Thanks for the brakes advice - I had to get a full set put on in the spring and it cost me an arm and a leg too what with the rear containing the bearing etc, as you say.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
New to the forum and just put deposit down on.....

... a 3.5 V6 Initiale :)

I wanted a large petrol engined car up to 7 years old and a top budget of £5k to mainly run back and fourth to Toulouse/Perpignan where the inlaws are.

I love jap cars (go with me....) and knowing the top petrol VS has the 350Z engine and gearbox I thought I had to see this thing. I did not want to be involved in badge engineering (BMW, Merc or Audi although I do have a 15 yr old W124 merc estate which was an ebay steal at £500 two years ago).

Shortlist included Avantime, VelSatis, Espace, old shape C5, Peugeot 607, SType Jag, Lexus (LS400 or sportcross). Test drove several diesel variants - simply not for me. Even if I had a high mileage commute I simply could not go diesel. I just can not get my driving head around Torque vs RPM. I am a petrol head, not a diesel head :rolleyes:

So, took the 3.5 VS for a long drive - and bang/luxury per buck there is nothing that stands close. Is it ugly? - yip, in a quirky two-fingers-to-the-luxury-brigade kind of way. Does it go? Yip :devil: After market springs and some tuning goodies already ordered from Nismo (Nissan tuning arm) and I think a visit to an aftermarket exhaust place is on the cards (like the one mentioned on here or possibly a Haywood-Scott special). I would have to have paid twice the amount for a similar specced car (tad under £4.5k with two year warranty).

Feel a bit smug really. Full history with Renault, one owner and all bills (including original bill of sale at £32k :crazy:). Watch this space to see how we get on....:beer:

Dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to the forum Dave!

There is a wealth of knowledge to be gleaned from these pages, well worth looking back through the posts.

Hope you enjoy your new car.

Brian

·
Registered
21 Posts
350z engine in 3.5 vel satis and sports springs ?

Hi Dave, must be a cracking car you have with that engine version. What a bargain to be able to buy a car with the charismatic Nissan 350Z engine in, for a fraction of the cost of the Nissan Sports Car.
Fancied one myself but fuel consumption a bit too scary for me, so opted for the 3.0 Isuzu diesel V6 version.

Very pleased with that - 36 + mpg mostly.

The previous owner of my VS has fitted 'SPORTS springs' ( and I assume lowered as well ) all round. I did not know this at the time I bought it, and having driven a standard identical car and then mine - I can only say this is a very ill conceived modification.
My car feels every bump, and crashes into pot holes like it has metal tyres !
If I dont get square wheels soon, I will be very surprised.
As soon as I can, I am going to find a set of standard springs and re-fit them. The ride quality is extremely poor with this mod - don't know who made the springs but they are bright red.
I have to say, I am not that convinced that standard 18 inch wheels with 45 aspect tyres is such a great move by Renault either, as that can hardly help ride quality over the lesser models 17 inch and 55 aspect tyres.
I would be a bit wary about fitting lowered springs, I don't think a lot of these Companies do their maths. The late and great Barry Waterhouse of Lancia Motor Club fame had a lot to say on this subject, and I believe he was right.
He said that many of the aftermarket springs have not been well thought out at all, and some of the people producing them have not a clue about the physics involved. Good luck with your new car though. Graham.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Many thanks for your wise words Graham (and Hi Brian). I will hold fire on fitting the lowering springs; The other bits I will also hold fire on fitting until I have run it for a few months in standard trim. I pick the car up this week (it needed a new aircon control panel fitted so the dealer is doing it as I type). Watch this space.....encore!

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Can't believe my stupidity.
Was at a car auction tonight and to my surprise in came a Vel Satis 3.0 dV6 Auto. Initiale. Full beige leather, electric heated seats, sat nav.. Everything.
It was in fantastic condition with a years MOT and 87,000 miles. No warning lights or messages and sounded fantastic.
How much did it sell for?

£1600. No, I didn't forget a zero. £1,600!!!!

And now I'm kicking myself that I didn't bid...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lost my Vel Satis virginity!

Hi all,

Purchased my Vel Satis yesterday, a 3.5 V6 Initiale and am totally over the moon with it. Wonderfully quiet and refined and just enough power!

It's an 02 plate with 106,000 on the clock and cost me £2800 off Ebay with 9 month MOT and Tax and almost new tyres (Michelin Primacy). I was the only bidder and I think the previous was a bit cheesed off he didn't get any more for it. Got loads of history, basically every bit of paperwork for the car since new and it is almost flawless. Just had to get the two key cards repaired this morning as each of them had a button failed.

Is there anything I need to look out for on the V6 or the Vel Satis in general?

Looking forward to sharing my experiences with you all (including the local Renault dealer who said "a what?" when I ask him to quote fixed prices for servicing).

Thanks

Lee

381 - 400 of 428 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.