Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Have you looked at my garage? A 17-year-old car?
Anyway the "relay" only works for a short distance and we don't keep the key in the hall. The spare is in a domestic Faraday cage which doubles as a filing cabinet.
It only gets them in the door- they still have to defeat the immo.

·
Artful Bodger..chief sneaky eliminator
21,943 Posts
Put keys in a tin box

Switch fob off (press twice, apparently)

Take batteries out of fob

Anti radiation wallet

Buy shotgun!:wink2:

·
Administrator
21,596 Posts
One reason not to have a keyless car :surprise:

'Relay crime' theft caught on camera - BBC News
Just moved my keys away from their usual hanging place (next to the front door). Luckily though both mine and the wifes Vauxhalls dont have keyles entry or start.

Cant beat old fasioned remote central locking and having to put your key in the ignition to start.

·
Sexy at 70 super duper mod..
23,089 Posts
May surprise people what they steal ....add up how much you could make breaking up a car and selling the parts
Spate of this happening where i live at the moment..they will steal any car if its not nailed down regardless of the make..police arrested 4 guys who were breaking the cars into parts..keyless entry is the very reason I would never buy a clio 4..manufactures are going backwards not forwards..

Bring back the dizzy and proper cars

·
Artful Bodger..chief sneaky eliminator
21,943 Posts
Spate of this happening where i live at the moment..they will steal any car if its not nailed down regardless of the make..police arrested 4 guys who were breaking the cars into parts..keyless entry is the very reason I would never buy a clio 4..manufactures are going backwards not forwards..

Bring back the dizzy and proper cars
Is that dizzy or magneto?:smile2:

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,482 Posts
installed a few of them,,,

We will always have tealeaves ...
if they can get past security in banks, what chance is there in a car..

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,752 Posts
It's all good.
Let's improve locks and immobilisers to the point where the car cannot be opened without proper key (or a brick) or hot wired in a speedy fashion.
Then broadcast the key signal so any lowlife with a scanner/amp/transmitter can use it to nick the motor.

Mind you, years back I remember this discussion going on when makers had two key patterns and kept one of them in the factory, any worn ford key of the right shape could open and drive any ford.
An "expert" ex thief was commenting on new security measures like steering or gear locks.
"If the worst comes and we cannot open car with ease, if we want it we'll just turn up with a recovery truck and lift it"
Not much has changed.

·
Premium Member
8,602 Posts
Let's improve locks and immobilisers to the point where the car cannot be opened without proper key (or a brick) or hot wired in a speedy fashion.
Then broadcast the key signal so any lowlife with a scanner/amp/transmitter can use it to nick the motor.
So you just hack the people, not the system.

In Poland Audi RS6 was very popular a short while ago, right after Mazda 6 - they stole it in a blink of an eye

·
Tartan terrorist in a dress..
22,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Brother had a RS Cosworth and woke up one morning to find his wife’s Orion Ghia out in the street ...says to wife why did you park in street she replied I didn’t it in front of the garage to which he ran out to find garage open and cosworth gone obviously they moved Orion to get in for cosworth ....insurance pay out he then gets a Sapphire Cosworth...parked it in a busy street in Edinburgh came back car gone ....he later heard that thieves were using an old converted truck and dragging the cars up a ramp into back of it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts