Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When undertaking long journeys my childrens gameboys tend to run out of juice and to be honest its a royal pain in the neck. I was thinking of installing 2 aux electric sockets, ciggarete lighter type, either in the back of the centre consol or in the doors.
Could anyone advise what the best location and as to how easy difficult this would be.
I was thinking the door would probably be best as there is electric there allready.

G

·
I'm not familiar with the Scenic II but are sure there isn't an auxiliary socket already in the back?

All the MK1 Phase 2 (not sure about the Phase 1) Scenic's all have an auxiliary socket just underneath the rear center seat.

·
Artful Bodger..chief sneaky eliminator
MK3 Scenic Dynamique 1.9 Dci 2010
13,499 Posts
So there is an auxiliary socket in the back of the Scenic II ? I would have thought it strange if there wasn't one
Meant to say in my last post that there is sockets front and rear as you say in the rear under the seat and on the console in the front on the MK11, in MK111 there is an extra one under the parcel shelf.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So as not to confuse My scenic ia a 2004 sometimes called a scenic II or phase 2 or a mk3 if that helps. It has a cigarette lighter to which my tomtom is permanantly attached and nothing else.

G

·
If it's a 2004 then doesn't it make it a Scenic II Phase 1?

I only make reference to the older model Scenic's having auxuiliary socket in the rear as if they do then surely the later Scenic's must also have them? with all the electronic gismos kids have today PSP's, DS's and portable DVD players etc it's a feature that isn't likely to get dropped

·
13,499 Posts
All Scenic 11's has the extra power supply fitted to the rear seat in the middle just below to seat squab,
the only one I am not sure of is the Authentique the one with a manual handbrake so if yours is not this model then you do have this fitted.

·
13,499 Posts
That is very odd as my first Scenic an 03 model had it so does your current (forgive the pun) car have the automatic handbrake fitted and what version is it i.e. Expression, Dyanamique, Priviledge.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Not every Mk2 Scenic has the cigarette lighters installed under the rear seats, for example my car (57Plate Mk2PH2) doesnt have them, i believe its only the models with the sliding centre arm rests in the front that has them installed in the rear seats

G

·
According to my dealer its a Scenic II but thats by the way, I'm afraid that unlike the previous version which I also had one of there is no aux electric under the rear seat.:(

Well that's strange I have a base level 2001 1.4 Scenic and that has a rear aux socket so did a Mk1 2003 1.4 Authentique I sold a few months ago so surprised it's not included on the lower spec Scenic II's

Maybe might be worth a trip to a scrappy and get all the parts you need and then go with a splitter as previously suggested

·
13,499 Posts
Not every Mk2 Scenic has the cigarette lighters installed under the rear seats, for example my car (57Plate Mk2PH2) doesnt have them, i believe its only the models with the sliding centre arm rests in the front that has them installed in the rear seats
This getting odder as my 03 Expression as I said had the outlet but didnt have the sliding arm rest see if I can find the spec brochure that I have about somewhere, watch this space ;)

·
13,499 Posts
Ok found the brochure with all the specs in it and it does say that all models except the Privilege which has 3 fitted, only have one power point fitted as you have found so as I had the extra one and Recycled Scenic had the same it seems we were the odd ones out and not you.

But that doesnt solve your problem, but in that link I sent you I think there is a triple adaptor so that might do at a pinch.

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
I doubt the wiring already in the doors would be sufficient to carry any more ampage and there is the risk of interfering with other door electrics such as windows, lock, etc.

Before embarking on adding any of of the cigarette lighter type sockets find out how much ampage you are likely to need to operate the items. No point in fitting them if they ain't up to the job.

Scenics have a big enough fire risk as it is.:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
As the window system works via an UCH personally I wouldn't take the risk of connecting to the door electrics. Plus the wiring loom may not be able to carry the additional load. Believe you me in my experience Renault have their car electrics down to the bare minimum.:)

G

·
I must admit that I'd be a little worried about the strength of the door card with the pushing and pulling involved to get the plug in and out.

I'd be more inclined to look for a suitable power supply in the boot (or run a cable through the car) and fit a socket in the trim either side of the boot. You charger cables can then come through between the seats and the gameboys are less likely to end up on the floor as the kids get in and out of the car :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.