Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I'm a newbie and need some advice please, as I'm afraid I'm not a car buff!

Background - the turbo on our 52 plated laguna 1.9 dci is rapidly going home and I'm undecided whether it's worth the grand or so that the local garage have quoted to repair. I've seen from other threads here that that's about the right price, but I'm sure my son (a mechanic) can do it in for a lot less a couple of months when he get back to the UK.

As an alternative in the meantime I've just looked at a 1.9 dci scenic privelege+ on an 03 plate, 90k, private sale, one owner, that looks very clean and seems to drive well but the owner said that the engine didn't have a turbo but something called a common rail system?

I've never heard of this - before parting with my cash I would be really grateful to hear if there any problems with this system given the mileage of the car (90k), or with this model in general?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Hello,

well first of all the owner of the Scenic you are considering buying is half wrong. It is a common rail diesel unit, but it is turbo charged. The 1.9 DCI 105 is one of the first Renault DCI common rail diesel engines and replaced the 1.9 DTI direct injection turbo diesel and also the 2.2D and 2.2 DT multivalve turbo diesel. Obviously without seeing the car I cannot say if its a good buy, but the 1.9 DCI is a good unit. Service history is a good idea and make sure the turbo is all OK. How much is the chap asking for the car?

Harry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your helpful reply Harry. :beer:

I wonder now if the chap was deliberately trying to confuse me - I'm afraid it doesn't take much where cars are concerned these days!

He is asking £2600, but said he has done much of the servicing himself so there were only limited receipts, which also makes me just a little wary.

Hmmm........... I'll think about this one a bit longer.

Thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts