Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

Since I am collecting the new laguna tomorow, thought I would discuss warranties a little

The garage apparenlty offer a 1 year parts and labour warranty however I will not know more about what this covers until tomorow, so on the off chance its a rubbish pointless one.

Can anyone recommend a good warranty provider that does not cost the earth but still covers most things that cost alot to repair.

If possible it would be nice to have a warranty that covered anything above £100, but I dont know if there is such a thing.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
AA gave us a 1 year warranty for first £500 parts and labour up to 5 times a year excluding the exhaust but including all the engine and the turbo - thought it sounded too good to miss. AA haven't let me down before!

... touching wood :d

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have just run over a quote and I have loads of rather confusing options, gold, dealer plus, warranty direct, or driveline and similar options.

Which is best, the cheapest is 159, driveline, but will it cover the expensive repairs if needed.

Does this type of warranty mean I myself foot the bill up to 500 but anything more they pay.

Could you kinda explain how it works for me, finances mainly since I am now gona be looking for a new job money is gona be a little tight

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Have just run over a quote and I have loads of rather confusing options, gold, dealer plus, warranty direct, or driveline and similar options.

Which is best, the cheapest is 159, driveline, but will it cover the expensive repairs if needed.

Does this type of warranty mean I myself foot the bill up to 500 but anything more they pay.

Could you kinda explain how it works for me, finances mainly since I am now gona be looking for a new job money is gona be a little tight
After a small excess they pay the first £500 and you pay the rest. So it won't cover big jobs but it'll take some of the sting out of it. Before this I was of the mindset that when you've got a warranty nothing goes wrong till the day it expires ;)

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so, if say something goes wrong and its going to cost say £800 parts and labour to repair it, I would pay maybe a £50 excess, they would pay £500 and the remainder would be paid by me.

If thats right that sounds ok

Am I right in assuming if say the gearbox went, and I could source one myself, say recon one that would save me a significant figure, am I allowd to do this, supply it to the repoairing garage and have them fit it,

Are these sort of things allowed, since thats what I would likely do, though not mechanical myself, I know loads of people who are, but I would not let them repair it, simply locate the parts.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi mate, there are basically 2 types of warranty;

Inclusive - they list all the parts which they cover.

Exclusive - they only list what isn't covered.

Its very important not to get the 2 mixed up.

You also want to be looking for coverage which means you get to choose the repairing garage - not some place 15 miles from where you are, and that the warranty dept will pre-approve repairs via the garage, not ask you to pay up front, and claim it back.

One I use, and found to give good cost vs benefit advantages is Warrantyworks they set a maximum claim limit (per claim), rather than the car's value.

Have a look and you'll see what I mean.

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Motoreasy offer similar things, but from what I can see at a price of 500 per year, they wil foot the entire repair bill (if its something they cover), also MOT is covered, and an anual or 12k service (top up and adjust) repairs on the service are my problem and I pay, it almost sounds like a better deal if more expensive

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reading the warrantyworks one, it looks like a good one, and within my price range, but the anual claims total cannot exceed the cars value, but then I suppose that would make sense anyway, no point claiming 10k of work on a 5k car now is there.

So, warranty basically will let me make a claim up to 1000 for an individual case, any more than that I pay, but if 3 months down the line something else goes wrong I can again make another claim up to the same value and in my case I can make the claim as many times as I want up to a limit anually of 5k (value of car)

Sounds like a worthwhile one to me.

Im assumiong the worst thing that could go wrong is a new engine, so 1k would cover a new engine and I would pay for installation labout costs.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Well, its all academic just now - you'll have a better perspective when you get to read the documentation tomorrow.

All the best with what I'm sure will be a pleasant day - check the car thoroughly though before driving off!

Happy motoring.

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
According the warrantyworks the folliowing is true, so you should get a link in this forum, it may help pay to keep the site working

Q I run a website can I put a link from my website to yours?
A Yes and we will pay you a commission on all sales just register as an affiliate and we will contact you to sort out all the legal details or ring 0800 043 0917 and we’ll do it for you.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Man you sure do drive a good selection of cars there, I have what Im getting tomorow and my wifes rollerskate (3 door corsa 1.2)

Anyway, I will check out what the warranty from the dealer is like, as its a 12 month one, and if its ok ill keep it, but when I do Ill be looking at platinum warranty over 36 months, last year is free so a good deal if you ask me, and claims up to 2500 per claim, so covers everything.

Many thanks for the advice, im sure when I get it ill be asking how to fix this that and the other, and how to wire my bluetooth kit to the head unit, thats gona be the first thing so as a preimtive strike, anyone got the head unit wiring diagram to hand at all :)

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
ok so, if say something goes wrong and its going to cost say £800 parts and labour to repair it, I would pay maybe a £50 excess, they would pay £500 and the remainder would be paid by me.

If thats right that sounds ok

Am I right in assuming if say the gearbox went, and I could source one myself, say recon one that would save me a significant figure, am I allowd to do this, supply it to the repoairing garage and have them fit it,

Are these sort of things allowed, since thats what I would likely do, though not mechanical myself, I know loads of people who are, but I would not let them repair it, simply locate the parts.
I would say the repairs have to be done by a "proper" garage and you would need parts renault would approve of, up to Renault's usual high standard ;) ;) ;)

So it is possible you could source your own gearbox but on an expensive job would prolly be worth giving them a call.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
I only picked up my lag about a month and a half ago. The only thing I think I would do different is get a vehicle check, when the AA or other give it a once over. They'll always pick up something you don't! Otherwise, read this forum!!!

Enjoy the new motor, looks a great day for it :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts