Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Clio 3 TCE 2010
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've discovered the hard way that removing the funny looking bolt the secures the centre cap on my Clio's alloys can be a PITA. In my case, the drivers front bolt is siezed right in and no amount if persuasion using pliers, mole grips and a tap of a chisel have worked. To make matters worse, the plastic key that should undo them is now shredded from trying to loosen this siezed bolt.

So: any suggestions as to how I should proceed

And

Is is possible buy a metal key or special socket to undo these centre cap bolts? I don't want another plastic one again if I can get something more beefier to do the job

·
Registered
Clio 3 TCE 2010
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You mean these ?

Seems to be plenty of keys (And bolts) with metal teeth on ebay
This for instance
Renault Megane Laguna Clio Scenic Alloy Wheel Centre Cap Key with Screws Bolts | eBay
Dunno if any better then the original ?

Or, once you get them out, stuff in an M6 (??check size) allen pin instead
My key is like this.

s-l225.jpg

However the replacements available on eBay are also plastic too and will snap if levered hard.

I'm surprised the likes of Draper, Laserline and Sealey tools don't appear to offer a socket that fits perfectly over the nut and can be ratcheted off.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
25,871 Posts
At least with metal teeth that is one part of the weakest link removed... and can grip immediately above ?

Wonder if one of these would do it
Magical Grip Universal Gator Socket Adapter with Power Drill Adapter Tool 7-19mm | eBay
I've got one somewhere though not used often.
But it seemed to work on oddball (worn) nuts

Or could "improve" one
Cut end off leaving metal pins in plastic disc.
Find a large socket
Set the disc in with plastic metal ?

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
You have reminded me to go out and copper grease mine. So I have. (Just come back in.)

Reactions: Dancingdad

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Oh dear, 5 years and I doubt mine have ever been off!:surprise:
One tin of hope and one tin of copper grease tomorrow then...
Thanks for the reminder.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
42,966 Posts
No brakes, or tyres needed in 5 years,,, Lucky Lucky wozz
Get a socket, on an extension bar, the socket needs to be just the size to cover the middle part of the key so it wont damage the cap.
Hit the extension bar with the hammer, yes hit, dont tap it. one possibly two good hits
Will then undo...
But dont tell anyone, secret..

Reactions: Nottnoc and BehnK

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Haha, thanks. I keep a special tool for that sort of thing I call it my "tu-atting hammer" (am I on thin ice?)
The deities must have been smiling on me today,I just tried all 4 and all loosened but the key is horrible it's all plastic!! (It has absolutely NO chance if they're seized).

I've only had the car a few months, mileage circa 4300 hence no brakes or tyres yet!
Still working on the (now slightly improved) water leak though :crying2:

edit If the special hammer fails I've just discovered counter clockwise (left hand?) drill bits (e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cobalt-Alloy-HSSE-Spiral-Drill/dp/B071GCJDKD
followed by a small stud extractor if necessary

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
Get new set off eBay, replace screws (+copperslip grease), sorted. :grin2:

-

Reactions: ours2012

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
see my post above, not sure if link still valid but left handed drill bits and a stud extractor.
Failing that you could strategically damage the cover and repair or replace it.
(fleabay clio alloy wheel centre(s))

·
Premium Member
Renault Scenic 1.6 L 16V 2002 Petrol
16,457 Posts
Some one made a special tool from brass rod and drilled and put hardened masonry nails in to give good leverage on the bolts.

Pretty sure I saw it on here.

:smile2: :grin2: :laugh: >:)

·
Premium Member
16,457 Posts
This is mine at the moment.
As you have the cover off, you could take the wheel off and drill from the backside. the bolt hole goes right through the wheel. Give the back of the bolt and hole a liberal soaking of WD40 or similar and let it soak for a while, maybe fit the spare and leave it for a day Then drilling from the back with a normal drill might screw the bolt out with a normal right hand drill bit. Preferably a cobalt one as these bolts are hard.

Best of luck

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
As you have the cover off, you could take the wheel off and drill from the backside. the bolt hole goes right through the wheel. Give the back of the bolt and hole a liberal soaking of WD40 or similar and let it soak for a while, maybe fit the spare and leave it for a day Then drilling from the back with a normal drill might screw the bolt out with a normal right hand drill bit. Preferably a cobalt one as these bolts are hard.

Best of luck

ooops sorry didn't realise cover was off, I should have looked properly! Is there anything to grip at the back?

·
Premium Member
16,457 Posts
ooops sorry didn't realise cover was off, I should have looked properly! Is there anything to grip at the back?
Afraid not, the bolt is not long enough to go through the thickness of the alloy. If it did it would interfere with the seating of the wheel as it would be protruding on to the face of the seating area of the wheel.
It would be easier to drill when off the car as you could have it on a bench or something at a more comfortable height. You only need to get it out if you intend to replace the covers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts