Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With holiday travel being difficult, and hotels either busy or closed, we've been thinking it might be time to try a campervan again - we've used a classic VW Camper in the (distant) past, and had a couple of caravans too, but this time round we are so tempted by the small car based motorhomes like the Auto-Sleeper Mezan..... I don't think there are any Renault based ones right enough..... :unsure:

Has anyone got experience of such a small camper?

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,655 Posts
How about a Renault Kangoo / Citroen Berlingo / Ford Tourneo with a pull-out pod ? Or there's the Citroen Romahome (an older version of the above pic). The drawback of the coachbuilt body is the vehicle is not so practical for use during the other say 48 weeks of the year when you are not away on travels.

·
Super mod..
28,368 Posts
How about a Renault Kangoo / Citroen Berlingo / Ford Tourneo with a pull-out pod ? Or there's the Citroen Romahome (an older version of the above pic). The drawback of the coachbuilt body is the vehicle is not so practical for use during the other say 48 weeks of the year when you are not away on travels.
And not a lot of room to get yer leg over..;)

·
4,275 Posts
Is the Mazda Bongo/Ford Friendee an option? Some have a pop up roof with sleeping room up top for summer use?
I’ve seen Mitsubishi Delicas and Nissan Elgrands converted but they take more time.

·
Super mod..
28,368 Posts
Oh yes might seriously affect the middle wicket..

Ow zat..

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All good stuff.

I know there is a Citroen and Romahome type alternative - the coachbuilt body isn't a problem as this would be a 'second' car, and just used for days out and weekends/weeks away, or when my wife is using the Clio! The conversion on the model I pictured is also hardly wider than the cab, which of course means it's a little tight inside, but I think manageable for two of us, and manageable to drive around occasionally.

I'm not keen on the imported vehicle route - Bongo, Delicas and Elgrand - plus vans like the Elgrand often have much bigger engines. I guess the real alternative would be a Renault/Fiat/Peugeot/VW T5 based camper with a pop-up roof, but that is the next size up, and maybe a bit van-like on the days it's just being used to drive around.

Plus it would fill my driveway more than the little one!! :ROFLMAO:

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
42,270 Posts
Reactions: Davegayle

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
25,054 Posts
Plus it would fill my driveway more than the little one!! :ROFLMAO:
That sounds like a plan then.
One thing that bothers me, tinking back to my days as a youf camping, is how open is the cooking area.... nowt worse then trying to cook in the open air when it is peeing it down and blowing a gale.
And it looks as though it may be a bit tight to access from inside with the doors shut.
Mow if there was an option with a tailgate and canvas awning over the back...so you can stand at the back.....???

·
25,054 Posts
I came across this on You Tube the other day ..... food for thought as the idea could be refined ..........
The lad's put a lot of effort into that and rightly applauded.
Dunno if I would want to go to that extent for an overnight camper but it do look comfortable once assembled.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
....... it looks as though it may be a bit tight to access from inside with the doors shut.
Yep, it all looks a bit small..... but my wife is very thin!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I'll have to try to see the real thing somewhere.

Imagine setting up that Berlingo, and then deciding to drive down the village for a fish supper. Doh!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
25,054 Posts
Imagine setting up that Berlingo, and then deciding to drive down the village for a fish supper. Doh!!
Yup, once set up you're not popping down to the pub.
But with the tailgate up and the kitchen units slid out, a good bit of my concerns on space and weather would be resolved.
Or a trailer wiv your bike on it and use that for your fish supper?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have to say that the Trafic III (the X82) is a really, really, really good daily driver! So much so that even her indoors is happy to drive it and enjoys the driving position, oo-er. I went for the LWB for our camper conversion, which means it overhangs a standard parking space, but the SWB squishes in nicely.

If you fancied something a bit smaller, and wanted it to have that diamond badge on the front, you could seek out a Trailfinder on eBay; they come up occasionally, even if people don't know what they're called, so they're invariably down as "Renault Camper".

I'm sure they also built a few on the Clio. Absolutely Marmite though!:LOL::ROFLMAO:

·
9,655 Posts
Similar on the Reliant Kitten chassis too if you fancy something classic. 850cc economy :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts