Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys - my discs get really hot when i drive just a few miles...cant even touch them..took the tyres off and had a look..there is a very tiny lip around the disc about 1.5mm on both discs, pads are not worn at all and are very thick...the surface of the discs is not very shiney has a darkish look to it...also when i brake i can hear a kind of grinding kind of noise, but car stops fine...are the discs no good and need changing ?

also

are there bearings at the front wheels cos i can hear a kind of slight vibration when driving ?

cheers

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
What model/age/engine type?.

Yes,there are wheel bearings on each hub,if worn they will cause a droning noise and if they are really bad then they will cause a vibration.

It sounds to me that you have caliper issues though,if the brakes are getting really hot then it sounds to me like either a caliper piston or slider has seized,this could also go some way to explain the vibration/noise you have.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
You need to remove the calipers and make sure that the slides on the carrier are free,also that the pistons in the calipers return back when you push them in slowly.If you're not 100% sure what you're looking at you need to have them looked at by someone who does,by the way you've described the problem it sounds as though the discs are worn and that they get red hot which means that they could fail causing loss of brakes.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
took car to a mechanic...who drove it and said it was fine..that it was normal for the discs to get hot (not red hot), anyway he said discs were fine, probably pads were cheap quality..and could do with a change even though they wernt worn down...as you can see from pic i get a brownish ring round the disc, its not scored deep or anything just on the surface...what pads do you recommend..?

Attachments

O

·
0 Posts
Hi lane4king, your discs look like mine and I'm told mine need replacing.

If the pic is after a run, then it looks like the pad on yours isn't fully contacting the friction area, as there are streaks of rust where there should be none.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Judging from the picture the glazing and the depth of the wear lip at the outer edge shows the disc is well past it life span.:)

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Definately worn out and in need of replacement.:eek: Change pads and discs at the same time. They are not as expensive as you might think ( if you buy from Eurocarparts or GSF) and it might just save your life.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts