Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, just looking for a bit of advice realy... I was driving the wife down to Birmingham on thursday, crusing allong @ around 70mph when the car jumped out of 5th gear and would not go back in so I had to pop her into 4th and then cruse to the hard sholder whilst dodging rarther large wagons :crazy: "I mean it I nealy had to change my underwear" anyways I sat ther for a few minuets to think about what had happened then set off again, another 10ish miles on and it happened again :steam: so I pulled over for a second time :( started off again but this time was holding it in 5th, when I pushed the accelerator the gher stick started pushing against me and if I took my foot off the accelerator it would manage to jump out if I diddnt push the stick as far as it would go, My 1st thoughts where gear box and how much the repair was going to hurt!! anyways I got to Birmingham and dropped off the missus.

On the way back the car behaved itself for a while and diddnt do it again but then started to jump out again, untill it got to the point I was in the fast lane and it happened I tried to drop her into 4th but just got no drive and the revs went up but the speed went down, at this point I threw on the hazards and forced my way over to the hard shoulder stopping at a SOS phone, I shut off the engine waited a few mins and thought id have one more go before calling using the SOS phone, I used the hard sholder to see if it had gone ok but unfortunatley I was then getting a sound like the gearbox not actually going into gear and the teath in th gearbox just making contact acompanied with a whiring sound, so I used the phone and got recovered. When I got home my next door neibour who is a mechanic by trade came over and asked what had happened, He then had a look and suspects the clutch plates and bearing have gone, the point where the clutch cable meats the gearbox apparently it shoud not be possible to move this by hand but it can be done "about 25mm of movement" when the car is stationary and clutch pedal is not pressed you can hear the plates and it sounds like 2 coke cans being scraped together but when the pedel is released the sound goes, also when I took the car 1 street over, even when not in gear it would be transfering power to the drive and causing the car to move. Has anyone had this befor and does it sound like just the clutch or something much more serious, Ive been told by my local garage its going to cost me £220 for the cluch repair and it is booked in for manday morning, im just hoping it is only the clutch and nothing else. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :eek:

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Worse than origginaly thought the gearbox has also gone, but the garage I bought the car from is replacing it FOC, so thats good at least, still gotta pay £150 for the clutch but hey its still less than the £230-£250 I was going to be paying for just the clutch. so all`s well that ends well, hopefully :confused:

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
By the sound of things, you've hit lucky that the garage is covering this. It also sounds like they're being very reasonable and meeting you half way on the clutch. Chances are that the clutch was okay or its damage was consequential to the gearbox failure, but unless you'd only just had a new one anyway, it's always worth replacing the clutch while the gearbox is out.

Just out of curiosity: What's the mileage on the car? Mine went on the way back from Glasgow, the very day (if I recall correctly) that the car passed 101K. It started jumping out of 5th on overrun somewhere around Cumbria on the M6, and I made it back home (probably another 100 miles or so) just by staying in the first four gears.

I tried to get it looked at the following day, but everywhere was fully booked. On the way home from work, it stuck in 3rd and I had to do the rest of the journey home without being able to change gear :crazy:

The following morning, it was fine again as I drove it up to the garage I'd booked it into. But part way up the road, it stuck in third again, and by the time I got there, it was making some pretty horrible noises.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Deffo, im glad they are, he`s a realy good fella, as I say i was prepaired to be paying over £200 just for the clutch, so its worked out well, he`s also changing the engine mounts as theyre not to good apparently so thats getting done aswell. I think ill also get the driverside sunvisor replaced as its gettin a bit brighter nowadays :cool:

Its funny you said about the mileage mine is 100201 so very close to the miles you had on yours, and it also happened on the M6, but northbound. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts