Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 63 Megane is Due a Timing Belt i am at 71.500 Miles and i am getting stressed about it ...
1--- dunno where to go !
2---- scared if he f****k it up
your experiences and advice is more then welcomed
PS- I live just out side Glasgow any recommandation

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
its just a Renault... where do you normaly go? Google car garages near you, and look for reviews? Use Facbook? join a local group and see whats recomended, just dont use places like Halfrauds

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response
I know it's just a Renault but from previous experiences i need to pick a really trusted one !
I am looking online too
This came on yesterday
checked the fluid level its fine but down the pedals is kind wet i think might have a leak

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks for your response
I know it's just a Renault but from previous experiences i need to pick a really trusted one !
I am looking online too
This came on yesterday
checked the fluid level its fine but down the pedals is kind wet i think might have a leak
View attachment 189348
Most likely the master cylinder seals failing. Does your pedal still feel normal? Take your car to place you know has to honour their warranty that they set before they carry out the job. That way, you have some piece of mind that your protected if your cam belt isn't set correctly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most likely the master cylinder seals failing. Does your pedal still feel normal? Take your car to place you know has to honour their warranty that they set before they carry out the job. That way, you have some piece of mind that your protected if your cam belt isn't set correctly.
Yes still the same brakes work fine , clutch fine too !
Tomorrow got to see my mechanic (who does not do timing belt jobs) to see what he says

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yes still the same brakes work fine , clutch fine too !
Tomorrow got to see my mechanic (who does not do timing belt jobs) to see what he says
That's an odd one. It could be a minor leak from the master cylinder, but because you still have fluid. You wouldn't notice any problems in breaking until the seals completely go. As no air will be able to pass through your break lines as fluid is always there in the lines and it's leaking, technically plugging the leak with it's own fluid. I hope it less serious than that for you. I hope I'm completely wrong and it's something simple.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My 63 Megane is Due a Timing Belt i am at 71.500 Miles and i am getting stressed about it ...
1--- dunno where to go !
Main dealer is best otherwise its a case of looking at feedback from the garage you select! Ask yourself this though its way cheaper to let the main dealer do it & its all done properly (water pump & water pump belt, cam belt usually get done at the same time as the main timing belt). Main dealer will cost around £1000 (most of this is labour time parts are around £250). Independent will cost about £500-600ish (inc parts). If the main dealer breaks the engine obviously they have to fix or replace at their cost so should do it right but an independent if they break it is less likely to do so & will go down the legal route regardless of warranty offered otherwise it will bankrupt them to repair-replace your engine!

Mobile mechanic's will only cost around £500 (inc parts) but more often than not unless they are very good they will walk away if they break it! A decent one could do it in about 2.5 hours but finding one is the tricky part! in London where I live I could not find any who had done this type of job before on a Megane & would stand by their work if it went wrong! In the end I paid a main dealer about £1.8K (it needed other things doing as well & they found a few issues as they always seem to...!).

You can also DIY there are several videos on youtube its not that hard at all but time consuming unless you have access to a vehicle lift for half a day! You need to gain access to the underside of the vehicle as well as remove the right hand side front tyre & wheel arch then its quite easy apart from the timing belt alignment (get this wrong the engine will probably break something expensive!).

If you DIY parts are only about £120 ish online direct from one of the main parts suppliers to Renault. So you could DIY & save almost £1k over main dealer prices as long as you know exactly what you are doing....

I have seen so many used Megane's for sale which have done way more than 72K & few have the timing belt changed (due to cost most owners skip this & hope it does not snap!).

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Main dealer is best otherwise its a case of looking at feedback from the garage you select! Ask yourself this though its way cheaper to let the main dealer do it & its all done properly (water pump & water pump belt, cam belt usually get done at the same time as the main timing belt). Main dealer will cost around £1000 (most of this is labour time parts are around £250). Independent will cost about £500-600ish (inc parts). If the main dealer breaks the engine obviously they have to fix or replace at their cost so should do it right but an independent if they break it is less likely to do so & will go down the legal route regardless of warranty offered otherwise it will bankrupt them to repair-replace your engine!

Mobile mechanic's will only cost around £500 (inc parts) but more often than not unless they are very good they will walk away if they break it! A decent one could do it in about 2.5 hours but finding one is the tricky part! in London where I live I could not find any who had done this type of job before on a Megane & would stand by their work if it went wrong! In the end I paid a main dealer about £1.8K (it needed other things doing as well & they found a few issues as they always seem to...!).

You can also DIY there are several videos on youtube its not that hard at all but time consuming unless you have access to a vehicle lift for half a day! You need to gain access to the underside of the vehicle as well as remove the right hand side front tyre & wheel arch then its quite easy apart from the timing belt alignment (get this wrong the engine will probably break something expensive!).

If you DIY parts are only about £120 ish online direct from one of the main parts suppliers to Renault. So you could DIY & save almost £1k over main dealer prices as long as you know exactly what you are doing....

I have seen so many used Megane's for sale which have done way more than 72K & few have the timing belt changed (due to cost most owners skip this & hope it does not snap!).

what a load of *, i would not take my car to a main dealer for air in my tyres, what a bunch of cowboys that charge twice the price, ignore the utter rubbish this person speaks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks mate for your response and i kind get what you mean about going to a main dealer but from previous experience even them the suppose to be well trained Mechanic can destroy your car !
it happened to me with a 2009 peugeot 308 HDI , it went for a injector seal replacement it got badly done that the engine went down ! luckily the car was under warranty and i didn't pay anything .
anyway i got the car booked on Monday hopefully everything goes smooth and no bad surprises !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's an odd one. It could be a minor leak from the master cylinder, but because you still have fluid. You wouldn't notice any problems in breaking until the seals completely go. As no air will be able to pass through your break lines as fluid is always there in the lines and it's leaking, technically plugging the leak with it's own fluid. I hope it less serious than that for you. I hope I'm completely wrong and it's something simple.
hi mate , i did top up the brake fluid now the sign in dashboard not showing up at all , the car will go on Monday for a timing belt and they will look at the leak for a potentiel master cylinder replacement !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what a load of *, i would not take my car to a main dealer for air in my tyres, what a bunch of cowboys that charge twice the price, ignore the utter rubbish this person speaks
i c`ant afford a main dealer bill and to be honest with you i don`t go with any dealer unless i get Ferrari or Lamborghini :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
1--- dunno where to go !
Thanks mate for your response and i kind get what you mean about going to a main dealer but from previous experience even them the suppose to be well trained Mechanic can destroy your car !
it happened to me with a 2009 peugeot 308 HDI , it went for a injector seal replacement it got badly done that the engine went down ! luckily the car was under warranty and i didn't pay anything .
anyway i got the car booked on Monday hopefully everything goes smooth and no bad surprises !
Good luck buddy hope it all goes ok & works well after!

Yeah I am not happy about using main dealer's either but here in London its almost impossible to find someone to do this who you can trust to put it right if they make a serious mistake! Most mobile mechanics offer silly low prices but when you look into it they mainly do simple jobs like pre-checks on used cars or simple electronic or tyre repairs! Very few have experience of doing the more complex belt replacement jobs!

If I need to do this again I will just buy the parts & DIY rather than go main dealer again in 4.5 years time (if I still have the car then!).

·
Registered
348 Posts
Op Seif, I share your worry. For our car (Clio 1.6) we went to a trusted independent garage. Timing belt kit fitted (with labour) was a shade under £300. I do know that if it breaks now (3 years later) I will have no recourse at all, even if I know it was caused by a poor job. But main dealers scare me for this, see the example above for a bill of £1,800. If ours needs that much work we will throw it away. Or maybe try the job myself as I couldn't make it any worse.
I think we shall ask them to do the job again in 2 years time, and ask for the water pump as well, expecting a bill of £600 for that.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I know Renault in chester offer the water pump and cam belt change for £350 Inc VAT. I got quoted direct from them.

I must state, I wouldn't really trust a main dealer as stated above. They are known to take short cuts in order to save money. Put it this way, I had a service done within the 1st year of owning my Captur. The dealership put in the correct oil, but used a cheap brand and a bosh filter. I would of assumed that the dealership themselves, would follow Renault's recommended brand of oil and their own brand oil filter. Considering the dealership is offering just Renault products.

You get warranty with any main dealer. But it does not mean they will honour it, even if it's their fault.

I don't know if I could trust someone doing my cam belt. I'd prefer to take my time and learn, then carry out the job myself. You'll never know what you can achieve if you don't try.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I know Renault in chester offer the water pump and cam belt change for £350 Inc VAT. I got quoted direct from them.

You get warranty with any main dealer. But it does not mean they will honour it, even if it's their fault.

I don't know if I could trust someone doing my cam belt. I'd prefer to take my time and learn, then carry out the job myself. You'll never know what you can achieve if you don't try.
Captur might be easier to access the area to do the cam belt change hence why its so cheap. On a Mk3 or newer Megane its very labour intensive due to how many other parts in the way! As for warranty if a main dealer changes the cam belt then they get the timing wrong so the engine is destroyed you will find eventually (might take some time due to how much it will cost them to put right!) Renault will replace or repair at their cost which is why its a good insurance policy to get them to do it if you are not sure about doing it yourself.

Not many independents or mobile mechanics will easily offer to spend 3-4K upwards to repair the damage unless you take them to the small claims court & even then they may not even have the money to do it so you bankrupt them in the process & get nothing.

·
Registered
348 Posts
... As for warranty if a main dealer changes the cam belt then they get the timing wrong so the engine is destroyed you will find eventually (might take some time due to how much it will cost them to put right!) Renault will replace or repair at their cost which is why its a good insurance policy to get them to do it if you are not sure about doing it yourself.
^^ I think that "warranty main dealer" bit is true but only if the car has a full Renault service history up to that point, and indeed onwards to the point of failure if it's later but within 1 year. Otherwise they will always have a "get out" and say that something else that should have been done on a service has caused the failure.

·
Registered
260 Posts
^^ I think that "warranty main dealer" bit is true but only if the car has a full Renault service history up to that point, and indeed onwards to the point of failure if it's later but within 1 year. Otherwise they will always have a "get out" and say that something else that should have been done on a service has caused the failure.
Exactly. The warranty will mean nothing if the car itself is outside of it's warranty. The warranty would be directly with the dealership, which 99% of the time are franchised. I know from my own experience. I took my Captur back and to multiple times for an EGR related problem. The last time I took it to my main dealership, Renault themselves authorised the work. But the dealership didn't want nothing to do with the work anymore as they were annoyed that I went directly to Renault to honour the warranty on the car, but the car was out of warranty by a few months at that point. This was because of the dealership messing me around. In the end, I bit the bullet and just purchased an EGR and replaced it. Problem solved.

So just to note, warranty won't always cover you. Sometimes, the dealership will make you jump through hoops to get a resolve. Would you want to risk it and end up with an engine that they wrecked. Then have to go through hoops to get them to rectify their mistake.

Any car is labour intensive. The captur is no different than any other K9K engine. The cam cover has to be removed, hoses have to be removed to get to the crank locking hole. Then you have small room to get the water pump replaced and for the timing to be aligned correctly.

I understand the Megane is also labour intensive. But again, you will never know what you can achieve without trying. By taking your own time to do the job. You will ensure that the timing is perfect. Because you, me or anyone here would not be satisfied if it wasn't.

This message isn't directed at you Clio Automatic. I replied to you because you couldn't of said it any better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Op Seif, I share your worry. For our car (Clio 1.6) we went to a trusted independent garage. Timing belt kit fitted (with labour) was a shade under £300. I do know that if it breaks now (3 years later) I will have no recourse at all, even if I know it was caused by a poor job. But main dealers scare me for this, see the example above for a bill of £1,800. If ours needs that much work we will throw it away. Or maybe try the job myself as I couldn't make it any worse.
I think we shall ask them to do the job again in 2 years time, and ask for the water pump as well, expecting a bill of £600 for that.
1--- dunno where to go !
1--- dunno where to go !
My 64 plate Megane 1.5 dci 400000 miles. Just had a quote from local independent, member of the Good garage scheme. Belt, water pump, and new tensioner. Fitted £340 inclusive. I'm in the Scottish Borders.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts