Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice on this issue would be welcome.

Looking in the engine bay the other day (2004 2.2 dCi - Espace) I noticed a chunk missing from the rim one of the plastic timing belt wheels (may be a tensioner) it is about the size of a penny, but semi circular in shape. It only just comes in contact with the belt . I will try and get a photo.

The question is should I leave it and keep an eye on it or have it replaced.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Hi ns.thomson

If any of the pulleys shatter it can cause an expensive repair such as
bent valves,damamged cylinder head,cracked pistons.

My advice is get it replaced at the same time replace the timing belt.

Sounds like you spotted some damage before it got too serious.

:) :)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.:)

Are you sure your not talking about the auxillary belt which drives the power steering,aircon etc?.You would have to remove a plastic cover to see the timing belt.

I would replace the damaged pulley and the belt,anyway.:)

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lagti,

You are right - it is the auxillary belt and pulley - thanks for that. I guess failure is a lot less serious, but as you suggest worth replacing anyway.

It is a job I might attempt as I am assuming the setting of the belt relative to the pulleys is not critical as it is compared to a timing belt.

However access to the pulley is very tight - it appears to have a single bolt that hods it in place.

Feel a bit dumb now suggesting it was the timing belt - must have been due to reading the threads on the subject and subsequently looking for the worst.

N Thomson

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glenda,

Absolutely spot on with your advice, but I had inadvertantly mislead you - it was the auxillary drive not the timing belt.

Thanks

NT

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
It's not a problem,we're all here to help.:)

There are no timing issues when changing the auxillary,but it's worth drawing a diagram of the way the belt feeds round the pulleys before you take it off.I have removed belts thinking that I can remember which way they go,only to try and put them back on and find that my short term memory isn't what it used to be!:rolleyes:

The belt is tensioned by a spring loaded unit and is under quite a bit of tension.Take care when moving the tensioner as if the spanner on it slips and the tensioner springs back and catches your hand,it hurts like f###!.Been there,done that!

Good luck and let us know how you get on.:)

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
It's not a problem,we're all here to help.:)

The belt is tensioned by a spring loaded unit and is under quite a bit of tension.Take care when moving the tensioner as if the spanner on it slips and the tensioner springs back and catches your hand,it hurts like f###!.Been there,done that!.:)
OH yes...did that Saturday,thanks for the belated warning Lag:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chickened out I'm afraid - got it done at a dealer while it was in for something else aprox £150 for new belt and tensioner kit including fitting.

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Glad to hear you got it sorted,thanks for the update.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts