Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Laguna II Dci is due a new timing belt and I was able to source a local garage run by a couple of mature experienced mechanics. I asked if they would mind if I bought the parts - they had no problem with that but suggested I get a timing belt kit, new water pump, new auxillary belt and change the anti-freeze. I was quoted £60 for labour and I was able to source the parts from my local friendly motor factor for £105. The total cost will be £165. I think that is fairly reasonable considering the price that a Renault dealer is likely to charge.:d

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
I think that is a great price Noel and a very wise decision to change all the parts listed, peace of mind for the future.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
3 Posts
In my experience a very good price, last Sept mine cost over £200 including the dreaded VAT at a small former Renault dealer garage which they will probably add? Regards.

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
£60 for labour, that's a miracle, I hope they know what they've let themselves in for.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live in Northern Ireland and small garages tend to have much lower overheads and usually charge £20-30 per hour for labour - yeh his waiting room doesn't have a TV or a coffe machine. The mechanic guy actually said replacing the timing belt on a 1.9 Dci engine was relatively simple as the only bits that need timed are the crank and camshaft. The garage seems to be fairly well equipped neat and tidy and has been in business for 20 years plus. His only gripe was don't push him for time as he likes to do a quality job and takes pride in his work.:)

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
have they got the kit to lock up the cams and crank?:)

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
hi

i just recently replaced the timing belt and was able to source a genuine renault belt kit encluding tensioner etc for £55 from GSF.

A local independent mechanic i know who used to work for ATS for 20 odd years did the work for me and his hourly rate is £15!! honestly

now i found that hard to beat since my local renault dealer said they "had an offer on cambelt replacement" for a mere £300. some offer.........
:d

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Espaced - you don't need a kit as such - just lock the crank with a pin and mark the camshaft sprocket if no marks are already there. The engine only has a single camshaft.:) In the past I have used the brake pin from a citroen Saxo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts