Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,
My sons car went to garage for Service, Mot and a new timing belt yesterday. I noticed when he parked up that engine sounds like its misfiring and the exhaust is 'popping' - more frequently after a good run. I took it back to the garage today and told them, they kept it to run tests they said its not misfiring and have put it through the mot emmisions other tests, they also took it for a run and phoned me to tell me that it is ok. NOT so, its exactly the same - I have been going to this garage for a couple of years and never had a problem before but they don't want to know. Could it be the timing belt? Is there any way i can prove it if it is?

Kathy

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.:)

Before we go any further,can we have the model,age and engine type please?.

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
First thought is an ignition fault ,but, if it was OK when it went into the garage there is a strong possibility that the timing was incorrectly set. If the erratic running is evident at idle did you not confront the garage with the problem?
Are there any other running issues?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reply

it was running fine when it went in. We picked it up at 5.30 (as the garage closed ) yesterday and took it back this morning, left it there for a couple of hours then went and picked it up this afternoon, all they said was about the tests that they had done found no fault - the computer didnt pick up a misfire and they gave me sheets with emission readings said that they had taken it for a run and did more tests but they said it was fine. I took it for a run after and an up hill to a friend who was very surprised by it, we left it running and it got worse and worse the exhaust was popping more as the engine heated, you can see the engine shake and the rev counter is wavering. I dont know what to do as the guys at the garage just don't seem bothered, paid £450 and its come out with something wrong with it. I'm hoping to see my works fitter in morning, is there any way of pinpointing if it is the timing belt though?

Kathy

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
The timing needs to be checked even if only to eliminate it as the possible problem before looking elsewhere. I'd feel like being more insistent with the garage and if they won't be more helpful taking it up with trading standards.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how is the timing belt checked? do they have to strip it down again or do they have a machine that can check it?

I phoned consumer advice and they said to send in a letter of complaint giving them a certain time to fix it or i'd have to go elsewhere and charge them for the work - but how easy is it going to be to get the money back, its just cost £450 cant afford to take it somewhere else

Kathy

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Unfortunately I am not familiar with the details of the particular engine. Checking the timing involves the alignment of marks on the crankshaft and camshaft or inserting locating pins for both. Access for checking mostly requires removal of the timing belt cover or it's upper part.

·
Registered
53 Posts
get someone to check the alignment of the timing marks. If that is correct then the valves are leaking. If not you know the problem. The tool to do it costs around a fiver, it's just agro getting it in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts