Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Espace 2.2TD Timing Belt

My Espace failed on the way to work this morning. Got the AA out it looks like the timing belt has gone as the injector pump is not turning. Can just see the sprocket not going round when turning the engine over. Its a 2.2 TD, engine model is G8T I think. Thing is if the belt has snapped and the camshaft has stopped what other damage could have been done? Will the valves touch the pistons on this engine? Is it an engine out job to do the belt? Thanks

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there Tom, sorry to hear of your problem.

It all really depends on whether this engine is what 's called a 'safe engine' or not - this relates to how close the piston crown reaches the valves when they are opened.

I don't know for your engine - most modern petrol engines aren't 'safe' - but it may be different for diesels (due to compression ratios).

I suspect the only way to be sure is to whip the head off and check the valves individually. (you would probably want to do this for your own piece of mind anyway).

The engine shouldn't need to be extracted to change the belt (sure, it would make it easier - but it brings its own complications).

Hope you get it sorted soon (at a good price).

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
let us know how much it costs to fix please.:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried turning the engine over a few times after it failed, but it was completely dead. But there wasn't any horrible noise from pistons/valves touching. Sounded completely normal. Has Mr Espaced got the same problem? Not sure how much it is going to cost yet. I hope if it is just the timing belt that's gone it doesn't need the engine out. Can anybody verify? How do I find out if it is a safe engine?

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
You could try calling a local Renault dealership. Depending on their mood, they might offer the info without them needing to see the car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Managed to partially remove a cover and see the belt. Pushing a screwdriver through, it feels slack, plus its not moving when the engine turns over. How is it tensioned? Thanks

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
You would need to get the cover of completetly in order to see the pulley that tensions the belt. The belt is toothed and will need to be renewed.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
same thing happened on my brothers clio, all compression lost don't keep trying as its an interferenace engine, i turned the crank over by hand and nothing seemed to touch, got the head off, 7 bent valves on an 8 valve head, not bad to fix just drop some new stem seals whilst your in there. replace tensioner and belt together.
any one know the tappet setting for a y reg 1.2

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi there.The cambelt tensioner has probably broken up.To do the cambelt on its own is quite an involved job as there is not a lot of room and you'll need some special tools.In my experience as a renault technician the 2.2 can do quite a bit of damage when the belt goes,but it can depend on the speed and load on the engine at the time the belt went.To remove the cylinder head is an engine out job so either way there's usually a bit of work involved on those engines.If you've got the time,then i would probably try a belt on it first but you still need to find out what made the belt go in the first place.You may be better off cutting your loss's now.Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
hi chaps if you have a g8t engine dont go panicing to quickly!
have the cam covers off pin up the crank take off the camshaft sprocket they have a weakend woodruff key that snaps and allows the sprocket to move and reduce the damage to the valves and pistons,
refit the belt after pinning and aligning the marks! if it runs and misses or is a bit noisey pull the cam coveroff and have a look you will probably find a few brocken rockers again designed to break to save engine damage!
good luck bigshow

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some good stuff on here but I'm wondering if its worth bothering with, unless theres any cheap second hand engines knocking about. Probably cost less than overhauling the head. What would anybody else do in this situation?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts