Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, i have a RENAULT MEGANE SCENIC ALIZE 16V 5 DOOR HATCHBACK 1598cc (2000-01-12) and i need to replace the water pump and cambelt.
Does anyone know what the timing marks are on the cambelt and the locking pin positions?
thanks
sarah :crazy:

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Hi Sarah - welcome to the forums :)

There are no timing marks on the 16V engines - all the alignment is done with two setting tools. A 'U'-shaped plate fits in the slots at the non-pulley end of the camshafts, and a locking pin screws into the crankcase.

Be very careful, and read up about what is involved - many have come unstuck on this engine!

Just out of curiosity, is the cambelt change a scheduled one - or possibly because of an uncertain previous history?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for your reply :)

i was told that because i need a new water pump that i would need to change the cambelt to.
thanks

D

·
0 Posts
On the 1.6 16V engine, the water pump is driven by the auxiliary belt (which also drives the power steering pump, alternator and aircon compessor, if fitted) - not the cambelt.
Erm............ you sure about that?! :d

R

·
0 Posts
I do apologise - I was talking out of an orifice not normally associated with speech :eek:
David I know why you said that earlier and of course that is true for the F4P & F4R engines up until 2003 when the 1.8 & 2.0 engines where re-designed to have cam belt driven water pumps like the 1.4 & 1.6

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
thank you for your reply :)

i was told that because i need a new water pump that i would need to change the cambelt to.
thanks
Correct. Your new belt kit should also include a new tensioner and idler pulley.

The camshaft locking tool is fitted to the end of both the camshafts at the flywheel end, after removing the air cleaner and associated gubbins. You bolt it to the cylinder head to stop it moving. You will probably have to pierce the plastic covers to get them out so make sure you have replacements available.

The crankshaft tool screws into a small hole in the crankcase, to the right of the dipstick, after removing an E14 external torx screw.

It is a good idea to fit a new aux belt at the same time, unless it is quite new.

Please do not even think about letting anyone touch your engine unless they have the correct timing tools, it is bound to end in tears.

If you are doing this with the engine in the car, access at the pulley end is VERY restricted - you can make a bit more space by carefully jacking the engine up and down to access the timing cover screws. Be prepared for scraped knuckles.

Marv

1 - 8 of 8 Posts