Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Laptop with Vista and Mozilla Firefox browser and Kaspersky AV:

I know my laptop is rather old and often runs very slow and occasionally freezes for a minute or so. I have noticed on the Firefox Menu ... if you select Add Ons ... Debugging option .... Debug Kaspersky ..... then when it activates immediately close the 'Incoming Connection' dialogue box .... then click back to home page ...
all the brower pages open really fast with no freezing.
I've done this on quite a few times now over and it works the same every time. :smile2: I don't know why it works as the debugging program hasn't actually had a chance to run but it does seem like the internet speed has gone into warp drive.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you thought about installing a Registry optimiser ..
I run a freeware program called Little Registry Cleaner .. is that the same sort of thing? Sometimes it removes dozens of broken keys and sometimes there's nothing to fix ... but in spite of all the regular removal of cookies, temporary files, running disk cleanup, and sometimes defrag .... I still get freezing issues.
I think Google scripts or Java scripts are to blame too ... but at least the debug function provides some short term improvement.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,747 Posts
Try WinAso registry cleaner, it gives you a section to optimise your internet browser.

Its free, but only 10 errors at a time are cleared, and if something goes wrong or you are not happy with, it has built in restore points, so you can put your registry files back..

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum, I let the Dogs out
7,555 Posts
As you are running firefox as your browser, one way to speed it up is to reset it back to factory settings without any addons at all, then you put the ones back in you want. I know it sounds a bit of pain but sometimes its corrupt addons that slows Firefox down, to do it you will need the menu bar visible, not wishing to teach people to suck eggs but to get the menu bar, right click anywhere above the address bar thats not on a tab, then click on Menu Bar, and it shall appear, now all you need to do is to select Help->Toubleshooting Information, on the top right of the page that opens you have a choice of restarting firefox with no addons or just plain refreshing it which will delete all your addons, its one of those "good to do" things every now and then to speed Firtefox up

1 - 5 of 5 Posts