Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 1995 Twingo C064 with the 55hp, 1.2L pushrod Cleon Engine, monopoint fuel injection, and OBD1 (big square plug under the bonnet, not the 16-pin OBD connector under the dash). It has an intermittent and severe miss at part throttle and the check engine light is on (it looks like a sausage on a stick with wavy lines coming off it). So I bought a Can Clip on Ebay and got it working on a WinXP laptop and connected to the car. I am not sure what I am looking at in the interface however. When trying to run a test I get a big hourglass that just stays there. This was with the engine running. If anyone has some advice on do's and don'ts to get the Can Clip working so I can figure out what's wrong with my car it would be much appreciated. I am in Vancouver, Canada. Renault left North America in the late 1980's, so there are no dealers, mechanics, or garages with specialized tools available... I order my parts off the Internet and figure stuff out myself.

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Ian

Attachments

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
41,980 Posts
Check your device drivers have installed correctly....
These can be found in control panel, system, device manager, when connected, you will see your device, if it has a yellow mark by it, the drivers have not installed correctly. right click, up date driver,
Are you on xp, a virtual machine, win 7, 32 bit ultimate...? All handle the interface differently
Have you tried your interface on an obd2 compliant Renault car, just so you can check your interface works....
Would check all these first

Now back to your car, is your Engine Management Light on permanently now.
Has it progressively got worse,, or it happened all of a sudden...
Does it start ok,,,
When was the last time it had a full engine service, and your injection (mono point) was checked to see if it was clean,,,
With it having pushrods, does it sound ticky/tappety at the top of the engine, inside the rocker cover you will be able to hear it, ......
Is it a C3G 700, or C3G 702

·
Super Moderator
13,666 Posts
Isn't a 1995 Twingo about 10 years too old for CanClip?
Surely it's Serial Data on K & L lines?
Never had owt with a big square plug, so what do I Know?
Did enjoy a hired Twingo on Gran Canaria in the Nineties, if that helps :frown2:

·
41,980 Posts
Supposed to connect through that connection, but depends how good the interface.... (Chinese people tend to cut a lot of corners, and miss obd 1 out..
Then the dodgy software, and drivers.
Do you want to buy a DODGY one. It will make a good door stop, or can be used as a paper weight)>:)

Reactions: batfink5

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,
Here are some answers:
Are you on xp, a virtual machine, win 7, 32 bit ultimate...? All handle the interface differently
>> 32bit Windows XP SP3 on a laptop

Have you tried your interface on an obd2 compliant Renault car, just so you can check your interface works....
>> No, there aren't any OBD2 Renault around in Canada

Now back to your car, is your Engine Management Light on permanently now.
>> Yes

Has it progressively got worse,, or it happened all of a sudden...
>> I used to have an occasional brief small miss that only showed up maybe once every week or 2. The check engine light never came on (except before starting). Then I had the water pump replaced, and the head gasket done at the same time -the head had to come off to remove broken waterpump bolts, and the old head gasket was starting to go. This was done at a local garage where there's a guy who knows Renault, from the days when they used to be sold in Canada. When I picked the car up, it ran very badly, on the way home the check engine light came on. Turns out the distributor cap was cracked so we fitted a new cap & rotor. This solved the worst of the problem, but the check engine light stayed on and the intermittent miss is still there, much worse and much more frequent than before. When it happens, the motor jumps back and forth against the motor mounts quite forecfully. It always happens at part throttle. If I step down or release the throttle, the miss stops. If I modify my driving, I can usually go at least a few minutes been bouts of "missing".

Does it start ok,,,
>> Yes, it starts fine. Idle and full throttle operation are fine.

When was the last time it had a full engine service, and your injection (mono point) was checked to see if it was clean,,,
>> I sprayed down the Monopoint with fuel injector cleaner recently. The car has about 130,00km, I bought it at 115,000km. I have done the air filter, spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor and plug wires since I have had the car. The car came with a spare fuel filter, which I have not fitted. I don't have any previous repair history. Recently, I took out the crank position sensor and cleaned it up, there was lots of gunk on it. This may have helped a little, but not much change.

With it having pushrods, does it sound ticky/tappety at the top of the engine, inside the rocker cover you will be able to hear it, ......

>> It sounds about normal, maybe slightly loose, which I would expect after the head was done. Once I have about 500 to 800km on the new head gasket I'll check the tappets for clearance.

Is it a C3G 700, or C3G 702
>>C3G 702

I'll see what the PC's control panel has to say bout the device drivers and let you know. I think the CLIP software did install OK, it acted like it was connecting to the car, but I don't know what to do inside the CLIP program to check it out.

Should I have the engine running or not while doing diagnostics? Should the ignition be on or off? I can connect a battery charger to maintain voltage.

Thanks for the assistance,

Ian

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

I am not sure what Serial Data on K & L lines is or how to tell if that's what I have. One of the photos in my original post shows the square connector that is under the hood.

Thanks, Ian

·
41,980 Posts
Must always have a battery charger on, also if laptop battery is not very good an external power supply...
If possible always with engine running... to at least get it connect.
So this car has come back from the garage with this fault..:frown2:
Are you now using oil or water.....
Will have a look in awhile see what sensors are fitted

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Must always have a battery charger on, also if laptop battery is not very good an external power supply...
If possible always with engine running... to at least get it connect.
So this car has come back from the garage with this fault..:frown2:
Are you now using oil or water.....
Will have a look in awhile see what sensors are fitted
Hi,

I have the laptop plugged in to AC power and the engine running. Connected the CLIP to the laptop first, then connected it to the car. Does it matter what order I use when connecting?

Yes, it came back from the garage with this fault. I am not sure they are able to find the problem, they don't have CLIP. Nobody does in Canada, as there aren't any cars around that use it. I am not using any oil or water. I haven't done a compression test, or popped the valve cover to check the valve clearances.

I have launched the software and input the car's VIN and it seems to work. The USB ports in the control panel all look OK, the Laptop connects to the CAN Clip. I have checked that the cable connects to the car - the circuit to each of the 4 pins is good. Resistance is less than 1 ohm, measured from the round plug to the back of the square socket in the car. The software seems to connect to the car, but it says "Wait Connecting" and this doesn't change, or after a few minutes it changes to "Failed to connect". So I have not been able to do any diagnosis yet.

The red & green lights on the CAN Clip all come on. Attached are a couple of shots of the messages I get on the laptop.

How long should it take the software to connect to the car?

Thanks,

Attachments

·
41,980 Posts
You have had to input the vin,, what happens if you click on the question mark...
Did have a look when Nottnoc mentioned your car not being compatible with clip.
It came up that you needed a Renault XR25 diagnostic interface, not canclip...
So really I have no idea if Can will work on your car...... sorry ,, looks like you will need to use miss Google and see if you can find any info to help you with your quest

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,
I have to input the VIN manually, but when I do that the software recognizes it and fills in the other details. I am hoping this means it can work with the car.
When things are working normally, about how long does it take for the CLIP software to recognize the car and show the results of a computer test?

Thanks, Ian

Copyright Image Removed
Please reread the rules which you accepted when joining this Forum, Especially those on Copyright & Software.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm curious to see how you have a check engine light on twingo 95. Because I also have it and don't have this feature. Also I couldn't use a converter to obd2. It didn't recognize it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have just bought a clip and when I get it, I can post here my results, I also have a Twingo 95 c3g, let me know if you need me to post it.
I can tell that DDT2000 doesn't work with my Magneti Marelli ECU 06.20. I was able to use XR25PC , but it doesn't show much info or let you send commands.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm curious to see how you have a check engine light on twingo 95. Because I also have it and don't have this feature. Also I couldn't use a converter to obd2. It didn't recognize it.
Turns out, it's a warning that the catalytic converter is hot. Must be a wiring problem because it comes on when the car has been parked and the engine is cold.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have just bought a clip and when I get it, I can post here my results, I also have a Twingo 95 c3g, let me know if you need me to post it.
I can tell that DDT2000 doesn't work with my Magneti Marelli ECU 06.20. I was able to use XR25PC , but it doesn't show much info or let you send commands.
It would be interesting to see what you get. I eventually came to the conclusion that there's a wiring or sensor problem. The part is no longer available, I have unplugged a wiring harness that's connected to the a black box that connects to the temp sensor (and nothing else) and the light goes out. The car still has a slight miss sometimes though. I only drive it a few days a year now, so I haven't worried about it much.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts