Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just cleaned my EGR valve after reading some articles about this subject, and this is what it looked like before and after.

Click on the images to see a bigger image.

This is from my 2002 Megane Break with 158000 Km (98000 Miles) on the clock. It's a 1.9 DCI.

Next thing is to found out what's the best way to stop this pollution of the intake manifold, I'm going to do some search about closing the ERG inlet. Anyone has some info about this ?

<English is not my native language so be kind..>

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum the pics will come in handy to help someone else all the best Donald:)

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
welcome to the forum.
nice job.well done.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Loter - nice job - has it made any difference to the running of the car. If you do away with this facility the car may fail MOT on the emissions test.:)
As a matter of interest what did you use to clean it.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Welcome and well done. As everyone has already said great first post :d

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Loter - nice job - has it made any difference to the running of the car. If you do away with this facility the car may fail MOT on the emissions test.:)
As a matter of interest what did you use to clean it.
Yes, it noticable in driving that the valve is clean. Not much but it's there. I use brake cleaner to clean it. It's in a spray can from Valvoline.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Some loverly EGR pron there :d Good to see it wasn't blocked! Did you clean the inlet manifold at the same time? Cheers!
I tried to clean the manifold as well but that's hard to do when it's on the car, there just a little black hole where the valve was to access the inside. Maybe I do this later, it seems there is a special cleaner for it that must me sprayed in the manifold while the engine is running.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
I don't think I have the time (or tools) to check the egr before I go on a long drive to frog in a couple of weeks. If I get the garage to check and clean it my only concern is they may be tempted to replace (break) it. Or perhaps they won't do the work without a replacement part being fitted? I wouldn't want to see a £50 job become a £150 job... althoug perhaps it needs doing.

The alternative is of course to get it done in France!?

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Tazzy - according to my Haynes manual for the Laguna II, 2.2 the EGR is mounted on the side of the throttle/damper unit on the inlet mainifold at the front of the engine. As a general rule EGR valve are on or very close to the inlet mainfold and will have a connection to the exhaust manifold. I know it ain't a perfect answer but I hope it helps.:)

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
Still haven't found where my egr valve is located on my espace :(
TazzyK I dunno if this will help you, but the picture below is the the new one taken of my 2.2 dCi Guna. The old type had a cast iron right angle bend, these gave trouble mine was changed for this one, when Renault decided my turbo was giving problems. :)

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Thanks madnoel / hondo.

i know this is a bit of a thread hijack, but is it possible that my Espace doesn't have an egr valve? The guy at the garage told me it hasn't got one (he was looking at the general front are of the engine). There is something at the back of the engine which may possibly resemble the egr valve but I aint too sure.

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
I dunno about a petrol, but a diesel would, there was an ERG on my 2.2 RTDT and there is one on the Lag 2 dCi

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Think I've found it... its at the back of the engine but I'm not sure how I'm going to access it. I can probablky get to two of the bolts but not sure if I can get to the other 2. The Haynes for the Laguna (1997-) says I need to remove two bolts depnding on version or something but this one definitely has four (2 horizontal and 2 downwards)

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
TazzyK I dunno if this will help you, but the picture below is the the new one taken of my 2.2 dCi Guna. The old type had a cast iron right angle bend, these gave trouble mine was changed for this one, when Renault decided my turbo was giving problems. :)

Hondo, my EGR was replaced at 45k and the new type of pipe fitted. Do you think she'll still be clear now at 72k?

Cheers!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Did Cleaning The Egr Make Much Difference? What Symptoms Were You Having On The Car That Made You Think The Egr Valve Was To Blame?

Thanks Eddo

1 - 20 of 40 Posts