Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help i have a tom tom one xl works perfect outside car ,but when i turn ignition on i keep on losing satellite signal,i have a renault clio car van, and have updated software also to latest so i know its not tomtom but some sort of earth or something affecting signal but cant work this out ?has anyone had a similar problem or knows anything about earthing maybe? not sure ?

have checked all earth points straps etc,not Radio Frequency Resistor,the vehicle is not new 04 plate,renault clio car van sl15 dci 65 1400cc diesel,so no spark pulgs,the tom tom is working perfect outside inside vehicle until ignition is switched on?? yes it did belong to a company highway surfacing ltd so i dont know about tracking device but something is infereing with signal when ignition is switched on?? real puzzle ??

·
Administrator
21,725 Posts
Does it work inside the car with the ignition off ?

The heat reflecting windscreens on modern cars can block GPS signals, but as yours is fairly new (I think :think:) then I would expect this to have the newer GPS chipset in it (Sirfstar III or something) that overcomes this issue.

:confused:

·
Administrator
21,725 Posts
yes it works with ignition off....but as soon as i turn ignition on the signal goes?:confused:
Oh right, you didnt say in your original post thats all and wanted to establish that.

also have even tried external gps anntenna:confused:
Well that was my next line... Now Im lost. Probaby next avenue is an auto electrician ?

·
Premium Member
6,321 Posts
i have the same problem, its caused by the heat reflective windscreen that renault put on their cars (blocking the signal, i bought an external antenna off ebay that cured the problem, had to do the same for my road angel, hth

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
even pulled fuses out and replaced not all but most one by one ?still the tom tom works perfect when igntion off? but that defeats the object?:confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i even bought the gps external tom tom antena magnetic on roof but still signal goes when ignition switched on?:(:crazy:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts