Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As an administrator, I take for granted the many facilities available on vBulletin but I would like to share some of my top tips with our new members. I would also like to invite our regular crowd to submit their top tips by replying to this thread

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Search is your friend

The search facility available on RenaultForums is a very powerful tool. You can access the search tool by clicking the "Search" link in the toolbar:

Once clicked, the search box will appear:

Now you have two choices. You can either choose to Show Threads or to Show posts

Show Threads is equivelant to just looking for your search words in your email titles. Show Posts is equivelant to looking through your entire email messages

Once you click "Go" your results will appear:

If you prefer, you can also use our Google search tool which appears under the top navigation bar:

Again, you have 2 choices. If you keep the default Web option ticked your results will be Google's general results for your query. If you tick RenaultForums - the independent place to chat about your Renault you will be using Google to search only the RenaultForums site. Your results will appear in the same window:

Search history

If you are interested in what other people are searching for, click the "Recent searches" link in the Quick Links menu:

A list of recent searches will be displayed:

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
My top tip is to introduce yourself to us in a welcome post and then use the search facility before posting any questions.If you don't find your answers this way,then post your question in the relevant forum(politely:)),and be patient.

That way you will maximise the chance of people helping you.:)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lazy browsing

Want to literally watch what's happening on the forum without lifting a finger? Just use iSpy in the Quick Links menu:

iSpy is a hack that we introduced that allows you to watch new threads and posts appearing in real time:

Every time a new thread is created or an existing thread is updated or replied to the screen will automatically refresh. This means you can watch all of the activity on the forum without having to constantly refresh the New Posts listings

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Who is online?

One of the great features of vBulletin is that you can watch what your fellow members are up to. In the Quick Links menu click Who's Online:

The page that appears will show the currenty activity on the forum. The page is automatically refreshed or you can click "Reload this Page"

The page is automatically ordered by user name, but you can get a much more meaningful output by clicking the Last Activity link:

By doing this, you will see the latest activity first:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Posting pictures

This poses a problem to lots of new users, so don't think you are on your own if it's not obvious to start with. There are several options:

1. vBulletin attachment

vBulletin allows you to attach lots of things to your messages, including images. This can be done by scrolling down the page and clicking this button:

Once clicked a new window will appear:

Click the browse button and find the image on your computer. Click upload and after a few seconds your image will be attached:

Once you submit your reply, the image will appear as a thumbnail in your post:

Clicking the thumbnail will show the image in all it's glory

2. Inline image links

If your image is already on the Internet, perhaps at TinyPic for example, you can link straight to it. Just click the
icon and enter the full internet address of your image:

Your image will appear wherever you happened to be when you clicked the image icon

3. vBulletinImg

Finally, and probably simplest of all, is to use RenaultForums vBulletinImg program. This allows you to quickly and easily upload, save and link to images straight from your computer:

Full details available here:

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/index.php?page=__vBulletinImg

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keeping track of your posts

By default, every time you create or reply to a thread you are automatically subscribed to it. This means you can keep a track of it. By default, you will receive an email when anybody else replies to the thread:

You can also check your subscriptions by clicking the User CP (User Control Panel) link:

Your subscriptions will be listed:

You can change your subscriptions options here:

http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/profile.php?do=editoptions

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
Reporting a bad post

If you see something that you find offensive, is an obvious scam, (or maybe something you think is a scam) or any post that you think violates the RenaultForums rules, click on the
button, which can be found at the bottom left of the posted message under the username / user details.

This will then send an alert to the admin and mod team at RF who will deal with it accordingly.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
That was absolutely brilliant, nobody will read it of course (would you if you couldn`t start your car, or it`s running rough as a bears bum).
Shakespeare eat your heart out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Manners please

Hi all if this is a dig at me i am very sorry ,as i am new to this forum i dont know the correct procedure not becuse i have no manners as i have lots im am sure after time you will find me to be freindly and a very warm person , my attitude in life is to greet poeple with a smile theres allways a chance you might just get one back ,:) once again sorry to you all .
kind regards jadjewls

ps haveing lost my sister on newyears eve my year hasnt started to good , it can only get better (he sayes with fingers crossed )

·
Premium Member
16,794 Posts
Welcome Jadjewls, no of course it was not a dig at you :) it was posted a year ago as a useful guide for everyone on how to use the many features of this forum

Very sorry to hear about your Sister, hopefully the year improves for you:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Food for thought

:) Hi and thanks for the kind text , i gess its time for me to start repairing my engine now , take cair and have a great day :) looks like the suns gunna shine today lol
kind regards jadjewls ( john ) sunny devon

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First decide where you would like to post, all of the sections of the forum are listed here

If it's in the problem solving section, note that you can oly reply to an existing thread in FAQ's and Articles. Try a forum search first to see if the subject has already been covered. If you can't find the subject you are looking for in those sections, then move to Ask the Experts and start a new thread.

In all sections that you can post a new thread in, there is a Blue button at the top of the forum :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts