Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I've seen several references to torque settings 250nm and 280nm but none specific to the 2.0L version. I guess it'll be EVEN higher. Can someone tell me the correct setting for a 2005 clio rs182.
and…..
isn't there any easy access online search engine to look up torque settings …… am I living in fairy land ??
thank you
Wayne:driving:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ours2012 - thank you for that one mate!
how critical is this ... my wrench only goes to 150Nm ...
I weigh in at ~85Kgs so with all my weight on a 30cm wrench is 255Nm
so ~8Kgs of nuts/bolts in my pockets should push it upto ~280Nm.:cool:
Or do I really REALLY need to get a 300Nm torque wrench for this ???:eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
what you idiot how can you say that, everybody has different strength in their legs.

Dont listen to this clown bud . Use a torque bar bud to the correct setting.

Be Safe

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
what you idiot how can you say that, everybody has different strength in their legs.

Dont listen to this clown bud . Use a torque bar bud to the correct setting.

Be Safe
It's not about weight it about using your body weight.

Plus have you seen the price of heavy duty torque bars.:confused: I agree you should always use brand new nuts and torque up correctly but if new nuts are not readily available the method mentioned is sufficient to get you going until proper spares are available and you can get the loan of a torque bar to do the job.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
40,414 Posts
Have seen wheel bearings ruined by overtightening that is the idea of torquing the driveshaft nuts Nip in to your local garage if you dont want to spend 30 quid for a torque bar and give him a tenner But if you have a renault you will in the end need a bigger torque bar

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Have seen wheel bearings ruined by overtightening that is the idea of torquing the driveshaft nuts Nip in to your local garage if you dont want to spend 30 quid for a torque bar and give him a tenner But if you have a renault you will in the end need a bigger torque bar
really only a problem with taper roller bearings where they are usually only nipped up to quite low torque. If something has a reccommende toque of 280nm I don't think overtightening is the problem!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what I really wanted to know was ***8230; does it really need to be toqued up to 280 +/-1nm? or is +/-20nm close enough ??
In the end I used the clown solution ***8230;.. with a bit of science thrown in ***8230; i.e. my body weight (82Kg) x breaker bar length (35cm) ***8230; 82 x9.8 x0.35 = 282nm ***8230;. and nothing has flown off the car yet ***8230;.. :)

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
what I really wanted to know was ***8230; does it really need to be toqued up to 280 +/-1nm? or is +/-20nm close enough ??
In the end I used the clown solution ***8230;.. with a bit of science thrown in ***8230; i.e. my body weight (82Kg) x breaker bar length (35cm) ***8230; 82 x9.8 x0.35 = 282nm ***8230;. and nothing has flown off the car yet ***8230;.. :)
Good thinking Wayne - the appliance of science.:d

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
My apologies if I was a bit blase about torque settings, I forget that most people don't spend their waking hours undoing and retightening nuts and bolts. You sort of get a feel for it eventually! In an ideal world everything would be torque tightened, but I have to admit my torque wrench gets used maily as a big ratchet! Obviously if you're working on engine parts correct torque is essential.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well I did look it up ***8230;.. or more precisely ask on this forum and then found that my torque bar max'ed out at 150nm ***8230;.. if I torque it twice will that make it 300nm :)
that was a joke B)
and didn't really want to invest in another torque bar for ONE nut ***8230; unless it was critical ***8230; like engine head bolts are***8230;. still the job is done and it seems to be OK ***8230;. thanks for your time

1 - 14 of 14 Posts