Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow members,

I hope you can help me to unravel the mystery surrounding the torque steer issue on my MK3 Renault Laguna Sports Tourer -

It swings right on acceleration. It doesn’t pull to the right all the time, it just swings right when accelerating, still drives straight but you can hear a pulsing sort off grinding noise. And on the opposite it swings left when brakes are applied.

the car recently had:
New brake pads and discs
New wishbones
New tyres
New link arms,
New inner and outer tie rods
New Shock absorbers
New coil springs
New top strut mounts...
Wheel balance
Wheel Tracking (three times at three different garages)

so basically almost the entire front suspension is new.

Three different garages looked into it and could not find the root cause for torque steer.. any ideas? Thank you!
Oz

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention that sometimes I can feel steering swinging sharply (-ier) to either side when driving around the left hander or right hander bend. It happens under acceleration as well as on idle. It kinda depends how much steering lock I put in

·
Premium Member
2,423 Posts
Severely worn engine and gearbox mounts? ...................

Original and correct driveshafts fitted with carrier bearings where required by design? ...............

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No. it was ok'-ish prior to change. When I got the car, I knew that the passenger side shock was finished, so I have decided to replace a bunch of parts and have the wheels checked out. (one was discovered as buckled which I had refurbished). First I have changed all the brake components and whishbones, the rest suspension parts were changed a few moths later. The "aquaplaning" sensation became aparent after strut replacement. So now I am thinking, perhaps the springs were the wrong height? I bought those via Europcar parts. part number 627745760

·
Premium Member
2,423 Posts
Spring height alone cannot explain this .....................

"NO" to what? - mounts or drive shafts? ...................

What does "ok-ish" mean ito your problem of torque steer - shock and buckled rim cannot account for torque steer imo

Part # seems ok for your vehicle

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Severely worn engine and gearbox mounts? ...................

Original and correct driveshafts fitted with carrier bearings where required by design? ...............
re-engine mounts - I though if it. I have checked using a crowbar it looks ok. I mean, not a new quality but doesn't seem to have an excessive movement as such. Not sure about the driveshafts or carrier bearings, I haven't changed those. is there a way to inspect (on a driveway)?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spring height alone cannot explain this .....................

"NO" to what? - mounts or drive shafts? ...................

What does "ok-ish" mean ito your problem of torque steer - shock and buckled rim cannot account for torque steer imo

Part # seems ok for your vehicle
Soz I was responding to an earlier message by Mikeyjp

·
Premium Member
2,423 Posts
Torque steer is as a result of unequal torque getting applied to the drive wheels ................................ individual shaft lengths, diameter and support carrier bearings and their secure location/mounting point that isn't variable because of play/etc are critical ............................

If both engine AND gearbox mounts are not 100% then appliaction of torque around a varaible axial location on the gearbox will cause torque steer - suggest physically loosen and move each of the 3 mounts to one particular extreme side of the slots in the mount and take a test drive if you dont want to replace or are not sure of its influence.......... take a drive see what the influence is on the torque steer .............. rinse repeat 5 times for the total of 6 possibilities between the 3 mounts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Torque steer is as a result of unequal torque getting applied to the drive wheels ................................ individual shaft lengths, diameter and support carrier bearings and their secure location/mounting point that isn't variable because of play/etc are critical ............................

If both engine AND gearbox mounts are not 100% then appliaction of torque around a varaible axial location on the gearbox will cause torque steer - suggest physically loosen and move each of the 3 mounts to one particular extreme side of the slots in the mount and take a test drive if you dont want to replace or are not sure of its influence.......... take a drive see what the influence is on the torque steer .............. rinse repeat 5 times for the total of 6 possibilities between the 3 mounts
That makes sense, thanks! Although part of the puzzle is the fact that the "aquaplaning" is also felt while cruising. For example, I have the foot off the gas pedal, and I drive around a bend, if I turn the steering wheel say past 5-10 degrees the car sometimes suddenly jumps to the direction of the bend. it's very uncharacteristic for what it used to be prior to strut change. when I turn it's fine to certain extent and then suddenly it turns sharply as if something was loose. I would have thought that engine mounts won't influence such behaviour provided the wheels are not under a torque load. what do you think?

·
Premium Member
2,423 Posts
Foot off gas pedal is still applying a torque - iso a forward/accelerating its applying a braking torque so anything mechanical involved will still be just as applicable.

I would have a look at the already mentioned and also inspect for wrong sized rubber bushes, loose mounts/nuts, bad welding, rusted out areas, repairs due to an accident.

You perhaps have a LS (limited slip) unit in the diff on that model? ................. checked the gearbox fluid yet?

Wheel Tracking (three times at three different garages)
................ and the result of the 3 different garages were? ................. they all found its ok or they all had vastly different adjustments to be made?

....................... all of this off-course assumes that the correct lengths of the individual arms were installed as replacements too to begin with :eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Foot off gas pedal is still applying a torque - iso a forward/accelerating its applying a braking torque so anything mechanical involved will still be just as applicable.

I would have a look at the already mentioned and also inspect for wrong sized rubber bushes, loose mounts/nuts, bad welding, rusted out areas, repairs due to an accident.

You perhaps have a LS (limited slip) unit in the diff on that model? ................. checked the gearbox fluid yet?

................ and the result of the 3 different garages were? ................. they all found its ok or they all had vastly different adjustments to be made?
Oh I whish I knew answers to those questions! It's an automatic, and I don't think I can check the transmission fluid on those, can I..? Also, I am not sure if the car has a limited slip... how does one check? Although now that you have mentioned it, I've noticed that sometimes, when I pull out of the driveway (make a sharp 90degree turn) I get an ESP (skidding) warning light even though the wheels are not skidding.
On a side note, I have checked with Eurocarparts just now and they have told me that the springs that they sold to me does not cross reference to Renaults OEM code for front springs - 540090005R. Quite a conundrum...

·
Premium Member
2,423 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm - new experiment - pull fuse for ABS pump (expect to get moaned at) ..................... take a drive - still doing it or better?

If the springs are wrong (ito length/rate) but you replaced both sides at the same time it shouldn't cause your miseries unless they physically bottom-out under certain load/road conditions.

Is the torque steer thing happening in both directions or just one?

540090005R
Thats a RH spring ............... this was fitted to both sides yes?.

Left apparently use a different animal :unsure:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wait... so coil springs are handed??? I did not know that! I though that both - springs and dampers are one part that fits both sides? surely they are mirrored aren't they?
I can confirm that I bought two identical springs and shocks off Eurocarpart and both went on my car. so, yeah...

I will try pulling fuse for ABS and will give it a go. the torque steer only pulls to the right and when not under load or breaking it pulls to the left.

·
Premium Member
2,423 Posts
wait... so coil springs are handed??? I did not know that! I though that both - springs and dampers are one part that fits both sides? surely they are mirrored aren't they?
I can confirm that I bought two identical springs and shocks off Eurocarpart and both went on my car. so, yeah...

I will try pulling fuse for ABS and will give it a go. the torque steer only pulls to the right and when not under load or breaking it pulls to the left.
Apparently they are also colored :p :whistle: ................. whether or not its a real thing with real detectable consequences in your case where identical springs were installed I just dont know - I just thought to mention that at least one supplier is listing different part numbers for left and right.

If braking also makes it pull to one side consistently and the brakes have been seen to properly, then there surely must be something mechanical amiss

Way too many variables here now - you need to methodically take one item at a time and confirm conformance to spec

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,178 Posts
TOP gearbox mount has been checked, you need to strip all parts out and check it correctly

Sounds very much like a gearbox mount ready to fail

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
TOP gearbox mount has been checked, you need to strip all parts out and check it correctly

Sounds very much like a gearbox mount ready to fail
Thanks for that, great advise, I will do just that! Do you happen to know the correct part number for the TOP gearbox mount? Or perhaps you can copy paste the link to an online shop? much appreciated!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts