Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the difference between standard fans and towers fans?

I've just bought a tower fan as it takes up less room than a standard one and looks more contemporary, but how do they work? Do they use more electricity?

Any help would be appreciated.

SB :)

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts

Bit late asking after purchase SBs ?

I use both types of fans SBs, The tower cools the room better than the conventional fans bit I like the breeze that is emitted from the conventional fans, The tower fans usually come with more sophisticated controls timers, Remote controls, filters and usually offer a more variable control I find they are quiter as well some have a facility to alter the humidity of a room albeit crudely .

As to power consumption it depends on the rating of your unit, I think with more control you really use less power, I set mine up to switch off and then come on again at intervals during the night .

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi sb yes a tower fan is larger and it uses so much electric its unbelievable and its bad for the environment:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Bit late asking after purchase SBs ?

I use both types of fans SBs, The tower cools the room better than the conventional fans bit I like the breeze that is emitted from the conventional fans, The tower fans usually come with more sophisticated controls timers, Remote controls, filters and usually offer a more variable control I find they are quiter as well some have a facility to alter the humidity of a room albeit crudely .

As to power consumption it depends on the rating of your unit, I think with more control you really use less power, I set mine up to switch off and then come on again at intervals during the night .
I needed to find a way to cool my apartment quickly and they were on offer in TJ Hughes, so didn't think about electricity consumption beforehand :crazy:

So far it seems to keep my living room cool really well, but i mainly bought it for my bedroom because i can't sleep with open windows. I suffer with summer asthma and hayfever, so need to keep the air flowing but without the window being open. I'm thinking about using it to cool my room before i go to bed and set the timer to go off not long after i've gone to bed. And if i wake in the night, flick it on for an hour.

Hi sb yes a tower fan is larger and it uses so much electric its unbelievable and its bad for the environment:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Sharrup you :p ;)

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Hi SB

Tower fans do not use more electric than the normal round ones it is only when you add a heating element you use a lot more say 1000watts,if it is a cooling fan only the motor will be running using a tenth of that maybe 100watts or less,you could leave it on all night occasionally and not worry about a higher electric bill.

To move the air a tower fan uses a rotating drum,a normal fan uses blades like a propeller.

Hope this helps.

:) :)

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi SB

Tower fans do not use more electric than the normal round ones it is only when you add a heating element you use a lot more say 1000watts,if it is a cooling fan only the motor will be running using a tenth of that maybe 100watts or less,you could leave it on all night occasionally and not worry about a higher electric bill.

To move the air a tower fan uses a rotating drum,a normal fan uses blades like a propeller.

Hope this helps.

:) :)
Thanks for that, its really what i wanted to know. Just wanted it confirming they don't have some kind of (electricity sapping!) element within it :)

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
It still might have?????i guess you will find out when the big bill comes the you letter box:rofl: :rofl: MASSIVE:d

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It still might have?????i guess you will find out when the big bill comes the you letter box:rofl: :rofl: MASSIVE:d
Thats precisely why i was asking. For my first two months here i got a bill for £157, so been cost cutting ever since. My apartment is all electric so i was expecting it to be steep, but that blew me away :(

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Thats precisely why i was asking. For my first two months here i got a bill for £157, so been cost cutting ever since. My apartment is all electric so i was expecting it to be steep, but that blew me away :(
:( scary sb my electric is that new key thingy and its costing me £40 a month £120 quarter and my gas is the same in the winter but about £10 a month for the gas in the summer if it would hurry and arrive here:steam:so i can turn it off

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:( scary sb my electric is that new key thingy and its costing me £40 a month £120 quarter and my gas is the same in the winter but about £10 a month for the gas in the summer if it would hurry and arrive here:steam:so i can turn it off
So you power a whole house with a Mrs Donald (and little donalds?) for £40 a month??!! I live in a 1 bedroom apartment which is supposed to be 'energy efficient' according to the builders :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
So you power a whole house with a Mrs Donald (and little donalds?) for £40 a month??!! I live in a 1 bedroom apartment which is supposed to be 'energy efficient' according to the builders :rolleyes:
Sorry to say but i do sb and the company iam with is NPower,it was a little more but have saved since we got that new key thiny metre

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry to say but i do sb and the company iam with is NPower,it was a little more but have saved since we got that new key thiny metre
Unfortunately our electricity is bought from a supplier and sold to us. We were made to sign a contract which basically put explained our management company buys in electricity in bulk and then sells it to us making no profit, thereby saving us money. Contained within it stated we were not allowed to be financially disadvantaged and the contract for supplier is renewed every year in August.

We are billed monthly for our usage and the meter readings are taken by the concierge, so are as exact as you are going to get.

Its a bit of a weird one, but once i'm used to it - i'm sure it will be ok :)

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Don't use the fan unless you're in the room. All a fan does is stimulate air flow, which allows your body's natural cooling mechanisms to operate more effectively. If you're not in the room, then it achieves nothing other than to guzzle electricity.

If you really want to cool off, then invest in a plastic spray bottle and mist yourself with water every now and again. Sit in the airflow from the fan after doing this and you'll feel suitably chilled.

Evaporator coolers (the poor man's air-con) work on this principle, but tend to go over the top. Ultimately, the temperature returns to normal but with near 100% humidity. Fine if you really wanted a sauna in the height of summer :crazy:

Don't worry too much about power consumption. It's heating appliances (and proper air conditioners) that really drink electricity. The wattage should be on the back, and you can calculate how much it costs to run if you know the cost per kilowatt hour from your electricity supplier. If the fan is 200 watts (that'd be a pretty meaty one and I'd expect it to use a lot less) then it'll take 5 hours of continuous use to use 1 kilowatt hour. (200 x 5 = 1000.) A typical heater will take half an hour or less to consume the same amount of electricity.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
I have a fan and an air conditioner, just a atand alone unit from B&Q and boy you notice what coolling is when you have it on.

I am one of those people who cannot sleep if it is warm in the room so it really is ideally before I got it I was up trying to sleep 9 months of the year but now I can sleep all through,

It uses a bit more electricity but really dose the job and if you shut the room door and window and have it on for about half an hour your room will be chilled. A good investment for me!

·
Premium Member
9,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a fan and an air conditioner, just a atand alone unit from B&Q and boy you notice what coolling is when you have it on.

I am one of those people who cannot sleep if it is warm in the room so it really is ideally before I got it I was up trying to sleep 9 months of the year but now I can sleep all through,

It uses a bit more electricity but really dose the job and if you shut the room door and window and have it on for about half an hour your room will be chilled. A good investment for me!
Sounds good to me, when i'm richer than i am now - i will invest ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts