Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...does this have on a car even though it is kept fully serviced and all the correct maintainance is done.Over time does this have a detrimental effect on the car compared to one that has never towed a caravan?
just wandered if second hand value is effected or not.
Sorry did not see towing and touring section

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hi,

In my experiance a lot of people will shy away from buying a car with atowbar fitted they presume a vehicle has had a hard life towing Caravans/ Trailers when they might only have towed a caravan say for one week a year but they could have had a hard life towing overloaded trailers also with the resultant strain on the cars running gear, I always feel it is better to remove a towbar prior to sale for that reason and sell the towbar seperately.

I'm sure others will offer an opinion.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Totally agree with Ottoman i have towed for about 15 years and bought cars with tow bars but try and remove your tow bar prier selling the car and it will aid selling it and not lose the sale and as far as wear and tear goes if the car is towing within its limits and has full service and is well looked after it should have no affect,but on saying that when i buy i tend to shy away but if it had full service and was in mind condition and the test drive was good i would indeed buy i hope this helps Donald

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Expect the clutch to die prematurely if it's towed a caravan or another decent sized trailer. I used to be able to get 100K+ out of a clutch, but since I started towing caravans, I'd say I'm lucky to get 50K.

Other than that, I doubt it puts any significant additional stress on the car at all. Yes, towing is hard work, but the car will only have spent a few percent of its lifetime towing. Still, as Donald and Otto have already said, many people find it offputting or just use it as an excuse to devalue the car. Owners that are savvy to this will remove the bar to hide the fact that the car has been used for towing.

So even if you find a car without a towbar, you can't be sure that the previous owner hasn't just had one removed for exactly that reason. Personally, I'd happily take a car with a towbar on it. Even if you don't plan to tow anything, it may well come in useful. At the very least, it's handy when the muppet behind you can't get their head around the concept of parking :p

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Expect the clutch to die prematurely if it's towed a caravan or another decent sized trailer. I used to be able to get 100K+ out of a clutch, but since I started towing caravans, I'd say I'm lucky to get 50K.

Other than that, I doubt it puts any significant additional stress on the car at all. Yes, towing is hard work, but the car will only have spent a few percent of its lifetime towing. Still, as Donald and Otto have already said, many people find it offputting or just use it as an excuse to devalue the car. Owners that are savvy to this will remove the bar to hide the fact that the car has been used for towing.

So even if you find a car without a towbar, you can't be sure that the previous owner hasn't just had one removed for exactly that reason. Personally, I'd happily take a car with a towbar on it. Even if you don't plan to tow anything, it may well come in useful. At the very least, it's handy when the muppet behind you can't get their head around the concept of parking :p
:d

Yep it certainly sorts the poor parkers out Horatio, 50k from a clutch Horatio, When I used to do a lot of towing in a Cavalier I had on disposal of the vehicle at 179,000 it was still on its original clutch :crazy:

What sort of effect does towing with Laguna have on the rear bushes as they are prone to wear early anyway ?

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
I'd completely agree that the clutch is one thing that takes a hammering when towing anything.

Brakes are also under more strain,but replacing those is straight foward,but on most modern cars(the Lag 2 included) the clutch is an expensive thing to repair.

I am seriously tempted to get a caravan,but my Lag would struggle to tow one sensibly,and as it's on 127k so I don't want to put undue stress on already worn components.Personally,I wouldn't tow with anything less than a 2 litre petrol or 1.9 turbo diesel.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
:d

Yep it certainly sorts the poor parkers out Horatio, 50k from a clutch Horatio, When I used to do a lot of towing in a Cavalier I had on disposal of the vehicle at 179,000 it was still on its original clutch :crazy:
What were you towing, and did it weigh nearly as much as the car? The trailer tent had no effect whatsoever on the first Lag, which still had its first clutch with no signs of slipping when I got shut with over 120K on the clock. Then we bought a caravan...

Hill starts are the killer with a heavy trailer, and sooner or later, you're going to have to do one. I scorched the cluch on the last Lag almost from new, having met the only bus of the day in a lane near Caernarfon. Luckily there was just room for us to squeeze round each other, so neither had to reverse. But it left me doing a hill start on a 1 in 6. The smell was less than pleasant.

Then there's positioning a caravan on a pitch, which is less than kind to the clutch. Often, you're reversing it onto levelling ramps, so you're slipping the clutch quite a bit to get the position just right, while needing enough torque to move over two tonnes of car and trailer. Usually, you can do it without making the clutch stink. Sometimes, you can't.

I'll see how the clutch does on this one. Maybe the diesel will be better, though if it's got the dreaded dual-mass flywheel, it'll probably be worse :crazy:

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Mostly 4 wheel car transporter, Odd caravan and a boat which was a bit heavy, Loads of building material.

Maneuvering on gravel I found to be hard on a car hooked up to a Caravan/Trailer, trailer wheels digging in.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi i would rather tow with a manual box but i have towed with 2 Auto boxes now a 1997 Mercedes C180 Classic 1.8 and the 2002 2.0 16v Espace and on hill starts and uneven ground the Auto box and the torque converter comes into its own you cant beat it,when iam towing i use the manual 1,2,3,and then let the box do the rest because if you do not it tends to go on forever before it changes gears going well up the rev range using more fuel but as i said if you use the manual 1,2,3 it is the same as any manual and fuel consumption is not to bad.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
I don't think I have ever towed anything with an auto box .

What are you getting fuel wise from your Bus now Donald after its service etc .

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Horatio,

I towed a 1350 kg (MIRO) caravan with a 2.0 16v espace for two years. Like you say ok (and I did drive carefully with it) apart from tricky hilll starts and getting it onto awkward pitches. Probably slipped the clutch 10 times in the 2 years.

Anyway the clutch still seemed happy at 96 000. Sold now, but I guess I will never know if the new owner will experience any problems.

Bought a phase 4 espace with a towbar fitted - very handy - no problems yet (but only had it 4 mnths). I guess like anything else you can either take the risk or not and you may be lucky or unlucky whatever the car's previous use.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
I don't think I have ever towed anything with an auto box .

What are you getting fuel wise from your Bus now Donald after its service etc .

Regards

Ottoman

Hi driving on the motorway about late thirties and about late twenties about town and - 5 miles off the first 2 sets of figures when the caravans on i wish it was better to be honest but she is fully serviced i guess thats the best iam going to get no computer on my Espace iam still have to do the maths so that could be wrong maths is not my thing:d

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hi driving on the motorway about late thirties and about late twenties about town and - 5 miles when the caravans on i wish it was better to be honest but she is fully serviced i guess thats the best iam going to get no computer on my Espace iam still have to do the maths so that could be wrong maths is not my thing:d
Thats good mpg Donald from a 2lrt auto Espace.

5 mpg with the Caravan jeez a killer on a long run Donald eh

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Thats good mpg Donald from a 2lrt auto Espace.

5 mpg with the Caravan jeez a killer on a long run Donald eh

Regards

Ottoman
The caravan is 1400kg with four of us i thought early twenties is not to bad i suppose it could be a little more if iam being Conservative when driving and on the country roads and in and around Town it could be as low as 18mpg but thats the down side of towing with a Auto i hope this makes more sence sorry Otto 5mpg:crazy: :d :d :rofl:

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
When I towed with a 2.0 ltr 16v espace manual the best I ever got was 20 mpg (generaly used to work on a 3rd less miles to a tank)

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
When I towed with a 2.0 ltr 16v espace manual the best I ever got was 20 mpg (generaly used to work on a 3rd less miles to a tank)
Hi well it sounds like we are not to far apart as i said i wish it could be better but hay thats the down side of Auto towing i wish i could use manual but iam disabled so i have to use Auto box but that cool i can live with it

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Donald,

When I was towing - I always wished that I had a diesel - mainly to keep the speed up those motorway hills - but I also guess the drop in mpg when towing is less severe on a diesel.

Now I have the desiel I don't have a caravan - but I might borrow my father in laws' just for the comparison. However I don't fancy staying in one now my 3 kids have got bigger.

On the espace I also put 'MAD' helper springs which made a big difference to the stance of the car - also stopped the jocky wheel hitting speed bumps.

The guy I sold the van to asked me what it was like at 80 mph - ??? I just replied if you are still around let me know when you find out.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi the posture of my car with the van on is great i have no problems that way at all there is nothing you could say for me to buy a diesel at all have had diesels they are just not for me at all apart from that i do not do big miles so iam better off with the petrol i know many people that would not tow with anything else but a diesel but iam a spark plug guy through and through and i have no problem at all when towing i have chipped my car as well just as to give me that little extra toque and fill in the flat spots so all in iam well pleased

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Hi,

I tow my abbey vogue 4 berth with my 3lt V6 with tiptronic box. I find it tows fantastic all the power is there and cruises on the motorway effortlessly .
In traffic or minor roads i use the auto box which returns about 18 mpg but when on the open road i use manual and put her in 5th and consumption goes up to 22 mpg.
I fitted the "mad progressive springs" and it makes one hellava difference on stability.
Off to cornwall mid august for two weeks , but going through the night so looking forward to a nice reaxing drive .
Lots of people on caravan forums dont rate the lag 2 for towing (despite most of them never owning one) i think its a great towcar.

Chakota :d :d

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi,

I tow my abbey vogue 4 berth with my 3lt V6 with tiptronic box. I find it tows fantastic all the power is there and cruises on the motorway effortlessly .
In traffic or minor roads i use the auto box which returns about 18 mpg but when on the open road i use manual and put her in 5th and consumption goes up to 22 mpg.
I fitted the "mad progressive springs" and it makes one hellava difference on stability.
Off to cornwall mid august for two weeks , but going through the night so looking forward to a nice reaxing drive .
Lots of people on caravan forums dont rate the lag 2 for towing (despite most of them never owning one) i think its a great towcar.

Chakota :d :d
Hi i have no stability problems at all with my espace i also bought bigger and 3" wider wheel which give the car a great stance and a mean looking posture i do use a stabilizer but i could do without it to be honest,we are going north for the big summer holiday just not sure where yet,i hope you have a good break when you are away Happy Towing all the best Donald.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts