Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

This is one for the caravanners who tow with a lag 2 ... Just been on a certain caravan forum and some asked the question of whats better towcar mondeo or lag 2 1.9 dci .. Bloody hell they all dont like the renault, quoting figures here and there .(dont think any of them have actually owned one) :mad: :mad:
Just like to know how do all you caravanners get on towing with your lag 2 .. as i would like to go back on the forum and defend our car.

Chakota

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This ..

I would go for the Mondeo TDCi diesel, which would be far better for towing. The 1.8 petrol would be very sluggish towing compared to the diesel and less economical. The Laguna has a fairly low towing weight.

And this ...
The Mondeo makes a better tow car and has a higher nose weight capacity,75kg, but the 1.8 is a bit week. Go for the TDCi even if it's a year older, the TDCi 130 has 265lbft of torque available from only 1800rpm. In comparison the 1.8 has 125lbt and at a high 4500rpm. The 1.8 is 1380kg for the Zetec version and the TDCi 1515kg.

And this ..
Don't check with the previous owner or Renault dealers as they haven't a clue. You must read, very carefully, what is written in the car's Owner's Manual and even check gross train weights etc. on the VIN plate.

I know many people tow with Renaults quite unaware of the problems on Max Permissable Towed Mass with their car. But I hope they don't have a towing accident, where the towing weights are checked!!

This is just some of them ........... Chakota

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Do not forget the 85% of kerb weight rule for safe towing+ renault tend to use train weight for there figures i have not got to grips with that yet
john

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi,

I must admit, I've only got a Trailer Tent and used to tow with a 1.8 Petrol Mondeo, but since upgraded to an Espace, and this has no problems towing.....

You just have to remember the trailer (with a maximum weight of 450kg) is actually attached!!

Ade

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
The Laguna is a perfectly competent towcar, but just how well it drags a heavy lump depends on the engine. The petrols up to and including the 2.0 normally aspirated units tend to struggle when loaded to the limits. The diesels do fine, as should the 2.0T and the V6. The noseweight limit is 75Kg, except (possibly) on the 7 seater Lag I's.

Renault's towing weight calculations in the handbook are ridiculous, and base the weight of the trailer on a heavily laden car. To tow a large trailer legally, you may need to get written confirmation of the actual limits that the car is capable of towing. In a nutshell, you just shouldn't exceed the gross train weight. The 85% (general) and 100% (experienced) limits are both just sensible guidelines and have no legal standing.

Plug your potential caravan and cars into What TowCar.com - All about Towcars and Towing Caravans and see how they do. Bear in mind that the top gear towing ability on the Laguna suffers thanks to the 6 speed box. If they compared 5th with cars that only had 5 speed boxes, then the Lag would do a lot better.

According to Whattowcar, the Mondeo is slightly heavier and therefore probably that bit more stable. When it comes to towing ability, the Mondeo TDCi 130 is marginally more capable than the Lag dCi 120. Of course the current dCi 130 is going to be a better match.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I tow a 2006 bailey ranger 470/4 with a 2002 1.9 DCI 6 speed and it is fine.The problem with that question on the caravan forum is that it went off the subject and started talking about other mondeo models in the range.
The original question that was asked was,
Im thinking of changing my tow car for either a Ford Mondeo 1.8 petrol 2006 model or a Laguna 1.9 diesel estate, I currently tow a 2004 Bailey Ranger 470/4 with a 2003 Mondeo 2 Litre petrol hatchback. Caravan weighs approx 1200 kilos wondered if anybody has experience of towing with the1.8 petrol Mondeo or the Laguna deisel.

Here are the specs
Ford mondeo 1.8 Duratec SCi 2007
Maximum torque 175 Nm at 4250 rpm

Laguna 1.9 DCI 2002 (120)
Maximum torque 270Nm at 2,000 rpm newer (130)model about 300Nm (nose weight capacity,75kg)

Between these two models towing, 175 Nm against 270Nm, there is no comparison and the answer to the question that was asked should of been the 1.9 deisel laguna would be better towing that caravan than a petrol 1.8 mondeo even if Renault's towing weight calculations are a little strange he is still within the towing limits.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts