Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased a (2006 4 berth Bailey Pageant Champagne), so first question to dealer I have a 2004 / 5 Renault Laguna II Extreme 1.9 Dci 120 Bhp Hatchback (the car was with me by the way) will this car pull this caravan safely? He looks the car over nips away checks online with the Towsafe? Answer: Yep there will be no problem what so ever.:)
So feeling confident we go through with the purchase.
I am a newbie to caravanning as you will plainly see but her to be obeyed and I started to do our homework on safe towing and joining the relevant clubs.
(Some facts first, the cars manual states Kerb weight 1350 Kg and the train weight 3100 The Caravan’s MTPLM is 1335) the Camping and Caravan club came back that the caravan is too heavy, :mad: but other sites have gone from OK to Fine to Borderline.:confused:
It seems that Renault put the weight down as (Driver only) and is very much to the lower end of towing weights, no wonder people get confused we all want to be safe on the road.
I like the end bathroom in this Bailey caravan loads of room when I towed it from the caravan dealer it was spot on not nose down or up and seemed to be fine has anyone had any experience they can pass on to us newbie’s?
Thanks Stu

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Ive had trouble understanding Renaualts weights, i tow a Swift Corniche 14/4 with an unladen weight of 1000kwt. I just wanted to know the maximum weight i could tow but they couldnt give me that. went on an independent website and that told me i could tow up :eek: to 1500kwt! Must admit that seems quite heavy to me for my car. i drive a Mk 11 1.9dci 120bhp by the way.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
The towing guides were compiled by an idiot. When a 1.4 Clio can tow a heavier trailer than a 2.0 Laguna, there is no other conclusion :p

More seriously, it seems that they've based the 'all other cases' figure on a fully laden car. A full payload in the car eats into the gross train weight and doesn't leave you with much scope for towing anything big.

The gross train weight is the key, and if you're going over the 'all other cases' figure, you should really get a letter from Renault to keep in the glovebox to confirm this, just in case you're ever stopped by plod.

Edit: Just to add that I'm not surprised by this response from the C&CC. Their insurance people are forcing my father-in-law to tow with a stabiliser, even though he has a 12 foot Lunar on the back of a Grand Cherokee! The Caravan Club, on the other hand, leave the stabiliser to personal preference (as it should be.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Eggsy & Horatio,
I have just done a query on the Whattowcar.com site and it gave me a good run down on what to expect, it gave a figure of 94% we had more or less worked it out ourselves at 90% but then found out that these figures are only a guide and not law.:)
We will obviously be stringent in what we carry how we store items and take particular attention to the nose weight.
The guy at the dealership wanted me to take an awning ¾ length with steel poles at 33kg but I insisted aluminium poles as they where only 22 kg (every little helps)
I have the ALKO stabilizer fitted and gone for the new BP lightweight gas bottle, I will contact Renault for a letter to cover ourselves as it’s a good idea and protects our backsides from plod.:rolleyes:
I have seen other comments from Renault owners they all seem to face the same problem on the weight issue, on one site everyone seemed to be slagging off the Renault diesel engines as rubbish for towing yet it had the tow car award Hmmm everyone seems to have an agenda.:steam:
I wish the police would spend more time chasing caravan thieves instead of nit picking kg’s of weight it is quite frightening how many are being stolen even with wheel clamps hitch locks and locks to lock down corner steadies all of which I have had fitted fingers crossed I don’t have to find out the hard way.
Lancer

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Towing weights why does Renault make it so difficult to get it right

Horatio?
Who are the best people in Renault to contact re sending a request for a covering letter? is it Renault's Customer care?
Have you done this and if so how did you phrase the letter?
Help appreciated
Lancer

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I've never had to do it, as the MTPLM of our caravans have always just about squeezed into the 'other cases' values for the car that I've had at the time.

But if you look up RCS in the glossary and phone them, they should be prepared to discuss the matter with you and send you the documentation you require by post.

·
Registered
34 Posts
re:towing

I have just purchased a (2006 4 berth Bailey Pageant Champagne), so first question to dealer I have a 2004 / 5 Renault Laguna II Extreme 1.9 Dci 120 Bhp Hatchback (the car was with me by the way) will this car pull this caravan safely? He looks the car over nips away checks online with the Towsafe? Answer: Yep there will be no problem what so ever.:)
So feeling confident we go through with the purchase.
I am a newbie to caravanning as you will plainly see but her to be obeyed and I started to do our homework on safe towing and joining the relevant clubs.
(Some facts first, the cars manual states Kerb weight 1350 Kg and the train weight 3100 The Caravan’s MTPLM is 1335) the Camping and Caravan club came back that the caravan is too heavy, :mad: but other sites have gone from OK to Fine to Borderline.:confused:
It seems that Renault put the weight down as (Driver only) and is very much to the lower end of towing weights, no wonder people get confused we all want to be safe on the road.
I like the end bathroom in this Bailey caravan loads of room when I towed it from the caravan dealer it was spot on not nose down or up and seemed to be fine has anyone had any experience they can pass on to us newbie’s?
Thanks Stu
Recently bought our 1.8 Laguna II and it towed our 1988 4 berth abbey fine, although it is a light van as long as they are loded properly u shouldnt have any probs,only prob we found rear shocks are not gd, as others have reported on a laguna worse instance speed humps on the rd near home and the "gedumflol" but other wise no probs, as long as u are loaded up properly and nose even then u shoudnt have any probs, i had never towed till we bought this car hubbby alwyas did it and i had no probs.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
spring assisters

I might have posted this before but ive fitted soring assisters to my Lag II and they stop it bottoming out!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Towing weights

In Sept 2004 I bought a Swift Charisma, (mtplm 1230kgs) & tow it with Scenic2 1.9. At the time there was an article in the Practical Caravan about Renaults "Driver only"entry in the handbook regarding towing weights & to cut a long story short, it suggested owners should contact Renault Customer Services, giving a name and number to call. This I did , explained my problem and before I finished he said "Oh you want the letter" I said "yes" and it duly arrived 2 days later. Briefly, it said that as long as you do not exceed the Gross Train weight in the handbook, 3050kgs, Renault considered it to be within the vehicles capabilities. this letter I keep in the vehicles hand book, in case a "man in blue" (with hi-vis vest) decides he wants to check I'm not towing overweight.:confused: ;) :rolleyes:
Tankie

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
I do not have a caravan but tow a car trailer and i recently towed a safrane on my trailer with my grand espace total weight 3800 kg !!!

well over renaults max but it towed it fine its all down to how its loaded more than anything

Also being aware of what is happening on the road to avoid sudden braking etc

Towing weights are to keep the minority safe :)

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
I do not have a caravan but tow a car trailer and i recently towed a safrane on my trailer with my grand espace total weight 3800 kg !!!

well over renaults max but it towed it fine its all down to how its loaded more than anything

Also being aware of what is happening on the road to avoid sudden braking etc

Towing weights are to keep the minority safe :)
Hi saftey when towing is paramount you can drive as safe as you like but you can never pre-empt or now what other drivers are doing,do watch out mr espace if you get some Tw*t running into you and you are over weight your insurance or theres will say good bye and you will also be prosocuted:crazy: :( i have done it myself when i was working for a breakers yard in Ballynahinch and have been over weight many times and had to say to my boss at the end of the day its your car but my licence so no more please,was'nt impressed but so what:d cheers all the best Donald

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Very valid points Donald - just because the car can tow it doesn't mean it's safe - and in all honesty many caravanners just keep loading up - in goes the bikes, grannies rocking chair, kitchen sink (well you get the picture). It seems they don't realise the towing limits of their vehicles - whilst the car may be able to move an overweight trailer - it would have a snowballs chance in Hades of stopping it. There are many cravanning clubs and societies who are more than willing to give advice not only on towing caravans but also trailers, boats, etc. Others get the notion that by taking the stuff out of the van and putting it into the car of roof rack or top box solves the problem whilst it fact that may only makes matters worse.
I have found the site link below is a mine of useful information - all for free.:)

caravan caravan sites caravan forum caravan information stolen caravans

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
As madnoal said there is a link above and it will guide you to help you towing,i have been towing for many many years and still iam learning and probely relaxed but always looking well ahead,saftey is alway my first stop so to speak and i have all my family on board at once so iam always on the ball so to spaek,my van is 1100kg and my max load is 1400kg and i never load more than 200kg and always spread my load,you should always make sure that your tow ball weight is never over 75kg the easyest way to check this is have a set of bathroom scales under the ball hitch and with the caravan level have a stick that is the same height as your cars towball and then place it between the ball hitch on the van and the scales now take the weight of the dolly wheel by winding it up and this will tell you the weight that will be on your towball and if it is more than 75kg move you load in the van about till it right job done,i do put some stuff in the car just to help stabilitly but watch not to overload the car also you load will be in you cars hand book and will keep you right,i also use my roof bars but it only take 80kg so watch not to over do this also all the very best Donald. Happy towing drive safe

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
The point i was making is that being overweight does not make you unsafe if loaded properly

We have all seen the badly loaded cars/vans most of which were probably legal as far as weights go but dangerous nontheless

I have also towed with some cars which are useless at it even well under weight :)

any vauxhall rain+trailer=wheelspin :)

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
The point i was making is that being overweight does not make you unsafe if loaded properly

We have all seen the badly loaded cars/vans most of which were probably legal as far as weights go but dangerous nontheless

I have also towed with some cars which are useless at it even well under weight :)

any vauxhall rain+trailer=wheelspin :)
Sorry picked you up wrong mate,i was on a site last year and a caravan came on site from the 70's no landing legs parts of the chassis had holes in it where the rust had eaten it away the sky lights where missing and i jest you not the front window was borded up:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: lovely family but i do not know how he made it from Aberdeen to Perth:crazy: :d

1 - 15 of 15 Posts